“Reasonable fare at a reasonable price in a great setting”
Review of L'Alzou - CLOSED

L'Alzou
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Reasonable fare at a reasonable price in a great setting”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We chose this restaurant for probably the wrong reasons - it was at the base of the grand stairs, it was lunchtime and getting busy and we didn't want to miss out on a terrace table for our lunch. We had a set time to meet our coach, so were keen to find a place to eat. The welcome was friendly and we were asked where we would like to sit, choosing a sheltered area of the terrace. I had a local cheese salad, which was large, and my husband had a smoked salmon salad, which was also large. The food was quite nice, nothing special, but no complaints. Service was fine.

• Visited September 2012

Launceston, Australia
“Churned out for the tourists”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This restaurant is at the base of the Grand staircase and offers all day food service. Alas it is also very much geared at the tourists. A pleasant and enthusiastic welcoming gives way to an average affair. The kitchen had a sole chef who looked over worked given the restaurant was close to full. The menu read fairly basic. We were first served the wrong meals which were quickly taken away alas so was the bread for starters. When our meals did turn up they were disappointing. Vegetables had been replaced with quick and easy plain pasta. The salmon was very underdone and the duck was also pink. For the price it was an average meal.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank TassieTravellers99
Rennes, France
“Good food, good views”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I very much enjoyed the €29 menu (there are cheaper and dearer ones too) and the view of the mountain opposite. Unfortunately, I ate at around 7.30 and was surrounded by screaming children and their uninvolved parents (a table with 6 under 5-year-olds behind me and one with 3 beside me). Do try to eat later!
The restaurant was recommended to me by my hotel (Amadour) which gave me a chit for a free apéritif.

• Visited August 2011