Hotel Arcades
Hotel Majestic(Lourdes)(Great Value!)
$53
$67
$55
Hotel-Residence Saint Jean(Lourdes)(Great Value!)
$90
Travelocity
$207
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe ground floorthe riverhotel is situatedfreshergrouppilgrimage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 1, 2010

As you may have already seen, I have previously reviewed this hotel after my last visit there in 2009, and now I do try and stay here when visiting Lourdes, I find the staff always very helpful. When I arrived at the hotel and checked in the lady on reception gave me my room key, saying it was nice to see me back again, and that's after a year ! Obviously she must have checked the hotel records before I arrived, but it certainly makes you feel welcome and comfortable about your stay and that's why I stay here. Having already experienced a number of hotels in Lourdes where you would not even send your worst enemy.

We all have in our mind what is acceptable and what is not, some more tolerant then others, and I think a lot of this is how much you have travelled, maybe some people who travel very little seem to expect more who knows ? When it comes to Lourdes, and this is NO excuse for the hotels, most people only stay a few nights so the turnover is huge and when you consider, outside of Paris, there are more hotel rooms in Lourdes than any other town or city in France, that's a lot of people and considering that during the height of the season, end of March through to October, 10's of thousands of people pass through Lourdes everyday, you only have to look at the candle light procession every night to see that, so that's a big turn around for the hotel staff, so sometimes things do not always run as one would like. But for sure, things should never be unacceptable and certainly there is no excuse for rudeness.

As for this stay everything was as I expected, but some how the hotel seemed fresher and my room had a nice new, powerful, shower excellent ! But I must say the rooms are not that big, but not as small as some I have stayed in, including hotels in Lourdes. The staff are always on hand and very helpful, most have been here for a number of years now, they were fantastic so I had no complaints there, and the couple who own the hotel (It's still independently owned and not part of a group) pop in most evenings. I have already mentioned in my last review, that I always stay bed and breakfast as it gives me the option of where to have dinner. If you stay room only breakfast is 8 euros, and it's a reasonable selection (But please do not expect to find fried breakfast, you are in France ! ) Dinner is either la Carte where, let's say, Duck breast in an orange sauce with veg is 13.5 Euro some other dishes are less some are more, or there is a fixed 3 course menu from 16 Euro, and the food is fairly good.

The hotel is around 300 metres from the Sanctuary gates, so it's about a 5 minute easy walk, where if you were staying up along the Rue de la Grotte or Boulevard de la Gotte or up around Place Peyramale then it is a bit of a steep walk back up. As for this hotel is it 3 stars, well after this stay, yes without a doubt I had no problems, then again I was not staying in the height of the season.

Chris Leavy.
Wokingham, Berkshire.
(Independent Traveller with 3 credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books. France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ItsLeavy
Reviewed October 23, 2008

There were lots of content people sitting around reception.and grumpy brash Spaniards! Receptionist was nice, good English, straightforward process, IT not used they had my booking in a folder -
I booked this over the phone for 6 of us and all i can think is DIVE. We checked out the room and the 3 of them were just yucky, toilets clean but a stale stuffy smell in bedrooms generally. Carpet needs changing, all over, need new modern bed covers, probably clean but soo 50 seasons ago!!

massive sticky outy gaudy numbers over bedroom doors the whole reception hasn;t been revamped in 20 years it seems, receptionist was wearing a jumper, suit needed!!

we left our bags, went immediately to find another place - found la solitude which was heaven by comparison.

Went and collected bags, told receptionist that didn't like rooms and left. no problem.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Icecreamcoffee
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Firstly the price was double that of a hotel up the roadwhich offered breakfast and evening meals in its price. Other hotels were closer, this one has to be one of the furthest away!

Arcades charged €20 per person for each meal whereas a €10 meal deal could be found at a cafe on the bridge.

Room carpet was dirty, bathroom had peeling wallpaper, bath was stained and chipped, our view was of a giant extractor fan (not what we were told), there was no air conditioning at all, despite being told at booking that there was. The room was very very warm during the day with poor ventilation not aiding the situation.

One good aspect was the housekeeping service though I attribute this to the staff who made up the beds each morning as opposed to the management.

The front desk staff seemed eternally cranky and to be honest, the location of the hotel is far further than 300m. More like 800m, about 10 mins solid walking. Not easy if you're not a fit healthy individual visiting Lourdes.

Internet access was also charged at €5 per 30 minutes, there is no "WiFi" access that I was informed about or could connect to.

Won't be visiting this place again, I looked at many other places with superior quality rooms and service. And staff who smile :)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank LourdesTraveller63
Reviewed July 27, 2007

This hotel is very well located, just one step away from the very busy streets leading to the sanctuary. The staff is very friendly and
helpful. The food is fine and the service in the restaurant second to
none. The only drawback is the size of the rooms (they are very small, indeed) and the quality of the mattresses. So the price to quality ratio seems fair to me.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank joris0707
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We spend only 1 night at The Arcades...thanks God!!; there is no parking for the hotel, you have to park in front but ther is not safety assured.
The hotel is not THAT closed to the Grotto, but still be within walking distance.
The rooms: ridiculuosly small!!, the bathroom almost impossible to move in!!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family