“Peaceful oasis (in early June)”

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Lourdes
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Peaceful oasis (in early June)”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband's actually an atheist but came along anyway, curious about the fuss. We both enjoyed ourselves immensely. I cannot speak for what it might be like in high season but I have to say in the first week of June, it was relaxed, quiet, and not at all "pushy" about religiosity. Everyone is there for their own reasons, doing things on their own time, and the setting is gorgeous.

1 Thank well_traveled_gal222

• Thai first
York
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Just watch out for the scam of the candles”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our second visit here, and this time we went with a purpose in mind. My sister bought two large candles at a cost of £35 euros each, these were for a sick child of the family. BUT apparently they are taken away after sometimes just an hour and recycled. This cynical approach shocked us, one couple told me that theirs had been there for just half an hour when they returned to take a photo it had gone. An out and out CON, people buy these thinking they will burn for quite a while not realising that they wont. Don't tell me it is a fire risk smaller candles are burning there all around the site.

1 Thank Emerald130944
Manila
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Everything I dreamt of, will definitely be bacl”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent two days at the Sanctuary last month. I'm really thankful we get to spend some time there, I wish it was longer though.

I recommend to go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation to start your pilgrimage, not only I felt light after but also the words of wisdom the priest shared helped me to have a more open mind and spirit. Also, attend mass (if possible the International Mass), processions and also spend some time at the Adoration Chapel. I felt very peaceful and free.

Visited May 2013
Belmullet, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Soul satisfying”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The peace and tranquillity. The helpfulness of people. The respect shown in the sanctuary. The amount of languages used. Directions everywhere.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Lourdes- an amazing spiritual visit”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been visiting the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes for over twenty years & feel I must share my experiences with you. This Holy place is extremely special & very spiritual which is why I find myself writing this review, please visit at least once in your lifetime & respect the quiet time alone.

Visited May 2013