“Good and inexpensive accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel-Residence Saint Jean

Hotel-Residence Saint Jean
Ranked #35 of 185 Hotels in Lourdes
Aylesbury
“Good and inexpensive accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I am writing a review for when it was a Citea, though I suspect that the accommodation hasn't changed. I am one amongst many volunteers that come to Lourdes every year and St Jean is perfect for any volunteers needs. You can do your own thing: you can have lunch when you're able; and you can provide your own food - it really makes life much easier. I only stay with a friend, but all the rooms are excellent - from family rooms to double rooms - well worth the money, and excellent facilities.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Hi everyone, I`ve just returned from a European vacation and here is my review of Apart Hotel Citea Lourdes. I booked this hotel for one night through Booking.Com for $69 Euros on September 29th 2010. The Hotel is perfectly located directly downtown Lourdes on Ave du Paradis (Paradise Avenue), from here it`s a five minute walk to the Grotto. When I arrived it was 18:30 and there was no one there to greet me, I couldn`t even enter since the door was locked, I couldn`t believe it, there was a phone number posted from inside for emergency service, so I wrote it down and conveniently crossed the street where there was several phone booths, the problem was none of these can take coins they only accept Carte Blue which I didn`t have. So I decided to try the hotel next door and see if I could use their phone. Fortunately French is my first language and I explained the situation to the attendant who then called the number for me. The person I spoke to was the secretary who explained to me that the hotel closes at 18:00 but she went on to give me a code to enter the hotel as well as another code to access the safe that stood in the lobby, inside was a envelope with my name on it and a key to access my room. My room was on the second floor facing the front of the hotel, this all seemed wonderful, there were so many people from different religious orders walking around with candles it all looked great. What I didn`t realize was that this is the busiest intersection in Lourdes and the hotel is right at the corner. Past midnight all the shop were still open with glowing neon’s and people laughing in the outdoor cafes, it was unbelievable I couldn’t believe the level of noise, I was so disappointed I was sure that this was a quiet town where people came to pray and they would be in bed by nine. I woke up at five am to the sound of trucks backing up and dropping their supplies to all those stores, this was the worst night I had throughout my vacation, impossible to fall back asleep we decided to shower and just move on. I general the room was ok, nothing looked new but everything looked clean. There was a small efficiency kitchen which we didn`t use but if you did and you didn`t clean up you would be charged a surcharge. No parking at the hotel, Parking can be a problem since this hotel sits on hotel row, parking is available all along the waterfront and you pay and place the ticket inside your windshield so it`s pay as you go. So my overall experience wasn`t what I expected, would I return to this hotel, no for sure not. and I suggest if you are to try it ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, those single pane windows just don`t cut the noise
Cheers to all!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mikealoneathome
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

This isn't an American style luxury or business hotel, but it has clean, large suites with kitchenette. We stayed only one night, but we wished we had stayed more!
We arrived at the airport and took the public bus for 2 euros to Lourdes (just exit the airport and look for the pole with the bus schedule. Pay the driver. I think we waited about 15 minutes for the bus). We understood that the bus would drop us at the bus stop close to the hotel, but instead, it dropped us at the main train station and the driver told us to take the city bus to the hotel. We walked because we didn't have much luggage.
If you're going to arrive between noon and 2, email the hotel in advance. They gave us the code for the front door and left our room key in the lockbox so that we were able to get into our room and start our visit.
If I return to Lourdes, I will definitely stay here again - and I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna60993
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

My husband & I were in Lourdes May 30 - June 2. We arrived in Lourdes via TGV from Paris. After the long gruelling train ride, we were relieved to see that taxis were readily available at the train station. The ten minute taxi ride to hotel costs 10euros + 2euros per bag (we had two heavy luggages but for regular luggages, 1euro each would suffice). Check-in went on smoothly and didn't take more than five minutes (if you are checking-in at around lunchtime or after 6PM, you must inform the hotel in advance as they close in the afternoon and early in the evening; to be able to get in, a hotel code will be sent to you in advance via email). We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room (#301). It had the best view of the river and the bridge leading to the Grotto. I wouldn't say it was a spacious room but it had a kitchenette, a balcony with a view, and a modern bathroom. It was the cutest room - small but comfortable! It had everything we needed! The pale blue drapes and chairs against the stark white bedcover were a nice touch too! It was perfectly angelic!

The Grotto is just a five minute walk from the hotel. Cafes, shops, mini groceries everywhere! Far too many one easily gets overwhelmed!

Everything was perfect about the hotel (I couldn't stress that enough!)! Staff spoke English. Room was immaculately clean. Location can't be beat!

Our only regret is that we didn't avail of the hotel breakfast. We opted to have it elsewhere instead and always ended up paying twice the hotel breakfast price.

We've stayed in other hotels in Lourdes and definitely this time we found the ONLY hotel we would stay in again...and again...and again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TGMmla
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Certainly good value, is well located and everythig is clean and tidy. Our view was into the place next door (overlooking the car park) so it was pretty ordinary but for one night who cares. If you have a burning desire to go to Lourdes you couldn't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stay there for 3 nights 26 - 29 September 2009. We had 2 pieces room which I paid A$ 123/night via Expedia.com.au
The hotel really lives up with their #1 range! Room was so clean and spacious - Our room was on the first floor therefore some noise when the pilgrims went fro/back from the Grotto/ Church services but it didn't bothered us after we close the window to block the noise.
The bed was very comfortable, a bit hard may be but it suit our sore back the most! The sofa in the other room (with kitchenette and dining table and TV) also good quality one. The kitchenette is equipped with two burner stoves, many dishes any cutlery- there's pots and pans that allowed you to prepared a light meals; across the hotel toward the bridge is a boulangerie, next to the boulangerie is a small grocery store.
Near the hotel was so many cafe and restaurant which will serve you reasonable price meal. Out of the hotel door, turn right will lead you to the bridge and to the St Joseph gate to get to the Grotto and the Church. Turn left it will lead you to a very steep small street; don't worry as right after that on the left again, you'll see a lift to take you to the upper street level; followed the sign you'll strolled on some Lourdes streets - and you'll arrived to Le Marche (The Market), opposite the market is Monoprix where you can bought things for self catering.
Some previous posters here said that there' no dish detergent; it's not true as when we checked in, the lady at reception said very clearly about cleaning the kitchenette if you used it - the first cleaning kit was for free and you have to pay for any extra kits if you need to. May be this was improved after many complained or after some of the kitchenette not cleaned promptly? We didn't need the kit as we brought our own dish detergent and sponges.
We loved this hotel and definitely will stay here next time: Clean, quiet and convenient location are things we asked for and got with Citea - One reminder: if you arrive in between 12Pm and 2pm, be prepare to stay outside or will let in when one of its guest get out; the reception will be closed in that time and after 6 PM ( or 7PM?), contact them before hand if you arrive late!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HongLam
Beirut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at 3 nights at citea Saint Jean, we went to Lourdes by plane so we had to take a taxi which costs 25 euros from the airport, the only other alternative would be to take a shuttle from the airport which passes each hour..but it was not worth waiting..however if you are coming by TGV the train station is in the town center and you can walk easily from the station (provided you have the exact right directions in these small streets!
We reserved by internet, and received the code of the entrance by email, our keys were kept in a locker which we were also provided with the code. The arrival was very smooth, and we were positevly suprised by the room its spacious, good bathroom, with a kitchinette. As everyone said, you have to bring with you some materials to keep the kitchinette clean! it is not cleaned by the room service, and if you leave it in a bad condition than you will be charged addition 25 euros! so beware!

Location of citea couldn't be better, we were in a relatively low season there, and it will probably be wise to chose in high season a room that is not from the street side, this is what we did and it was very quiet. The sanctuary is accessible by foot, as well as all the city, you can move easily from there.
However there was a constant background noise that intrigued me during our stay, which sounds like pipelines or smthg like that..but it will not keeping you from sleeping! the walls aren't very thick also, and we could hear some noises from the other rooms, but since it was a low season we really weren't bothered much, as it occured only a few times.
For the internet, we used it during our stay free of charge and had no connectivity problems.
Also beware to always keep your keys with you as well as the code, citea saint Jean closes between 12-14h (everything closes in Lourdes between 12-14h).
So overall, our stay kept a positive impression!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple