“Fancy, well run and unforgettable service”

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel de Castres
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Castres
norway
“Fancy, well run and unforgettable service”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Classy interior design mixed with personal service = excellence. I stayed four nights for business, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Breakfast is à l'ancienne; with viennoiseries au choix, jam, bitter, fruit, locally produced yoghurt and the unforgettable Apple juice.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The hotel has been recently refurbished and it is done to a very high standard. The beds were comfortable and the hotel's location is superb for exploring the charming town. The lack of a proper shower was a bit annoying. Luckily my travel companions next door had a shower and we used that one morning It is far from ideal having to stand in a bath with no curtain or shower screen and hold the shower head with one arm.
The automatic lighting in the corridors didn't work so well. I found myself having to walk several paces in pitch dark before the lights came on.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view if possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Simon H
Chicagoland
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I stayed at the Grand Hotel this past week while visiting my son who is completing an internship in Castres. We arrived in the evening after a long day of travel and we were tired.

What a wonderful place to arrive!

The staff was welcoming and the room was immaculate! From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out, we were treated wonderfully. The staff spoke English which was so helpful as I do not speak French. The beds were so comfortable. The breakfast included every morning was delicious. Any questions about the town were welcomed and answered.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

There were past reviews that mentioned the WiFi situation. And although the WiFi is lacking, I certainly wouldn't let that stand in the way of staying at this "Grand Hotel".

If I ever return to Castres, there is no doubt in my mind that this is where I will stay again!

• Stayed November 2013
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The grand hotel has been gutted and totally refurbished to a high specification, Very modern and attractive. I was very surprised as Tripadvisors list this hotel as B&B. It has all the quality and facilities to be a ****hotel. It is a family owned hotel and the welcome and service is friendly and efficient. The location is perfect. Views of the river and the historic houses and only 200 metres from the town square. This report would have been a perfect 5 but for the free wi-fi which was so weak my I-pad or phone would not engage. i understand that actions are in place to resolve this issue.

Room Tip: Room 310 has a river view and balcony. River side rooms are best.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I need three things:
Network connection: Very slow, intermittent, must use safari to get past certification error on apple products, was given wrong password (case of letter was wrong). Couldn't get onto VPN (permitted but too slow. I guess it's the remote location.
Bed: fantastically comfortable, choice of pillows. Very comfy duvet
Bathroom: so modern and beautiful. Only thing is the shower head has no wall mount, no shower curtain. Oh well, had to have a lovely bath in order to prevent flooding the place.

Breakfast: no protein! No meat/eggs. Croissante gave me indigestion from butter overdose. Next day had a piece of bread. Coffee was very nice. They had fruit salad as an option also.

View for even numbered rooms, amazing! Overlooking the river, stunning homes on the other side. Food in surrounding area was great!

Room Tip: Even numbers for the view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dangermousie
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Perfect if you wish a town centre hotel. Spotless rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. Stayed in the hotel for a rugby weekend. Staff happy to sort out airport transfers and recommend local restaurants. Beware of Sunday closing, the town seams to shut up shop!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Grand Hotel is a beautiful old buliding literally on the side of the river and is ideally situated within a couple of minutes walk from the square in the centre of the town. The rooms are furnished in a modern, simple, clean, no fuss style, and those at the back overlook the river and pretty houses on the opposite bank. Some points to note:

1. The hotel has free car parking, but a limited number of spaces which may be problematic on busy weekends. However the staff will endeavor to find you a space and cannot be faulted for their efforts.

2. The room had everything I needed, including a hairdryer, but as others mentioned there are no coffee/tea making facilities. Tea or coffee can be purchased in the bar. There is one English speaking channel on the TV, should you need it.

3. The bedroom, bathroom, in fact all areas of the hotel were spotless. And I mean spotless. I was so impressed I did the 'dusty finger test' just to be sure!

4. Breakfast consists of fruit salad, fruit juice, a yoghurt and as much fresh bread as you can eat, with tea or coffee. We ate there the morning we left for sake of convenience, however there are quite a few cafes very close by serving similar breakfasts slightly cheaper.

5. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, their English was far superior to our French and nothing was too much trouble.

6. And here is why it drops the 'half'. The hotel offers free wifi which is easily accessible in the foyer / dining room. However our room was at the end of the corridor and we discovered we could not access the wifi in the bedroom, only in the corridor outside our room or in our bathroom. This wasn't a major issue for us, but would be for anyone there on business, and actually we felt the problem could be quite easily remedied.

To finish, friends were staying in another similarly priced hotel in town and were quite disgruntled with their accommodation (if you message me I'll tell you!). We took them to see our room and they literally were turning green with envy. Would I return to this hotel? Absolutely. Would I recommend it? Without a hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple