“Fabulous!”

Grand Hotel de Castres
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Castres
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I stayed at the Grand Hotel this past week while visiting my son who is completing an internship in Castres. We arrived in the evening after a long day of travel and we were tired.

What a wonderful place to arrive!

The staff was welcoming and the room was immaculate! From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out, we were treated wonderfully. The staff spoke English which was so helpful as I do not speak French. The beds were so comfortable. The breakfast included every morning was delicious. Any questions about the town were welcomed and answered.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

There were past reviews that mentioned the WiFi situation. And although the WiFi is lacking, I certainly wouldn't let that stand in the way of staying at this "Grand Hotel".

If I ever return to Castres, there is no doubt in my mind that this is where I will stay again!

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The grand hotel has been gutted and totally refurbished to a high specification, Very modern and attractive. I was very surprised as Tripadvisors list this hotel as B&B. It has all the quality and facilities to be a ****hotel. It is a family owned hotel and the welcome and service is friendly and efficient. The location is perfect. Views of the river and the historic houses and only 200 metres from the town square. This report would have been a perfect 5 but for the free wi-fi which was so weak my I-pad or phone would not engage. i understand that actions are in place to resolve this issue.

Room Tip: Room 310 has a river view and balcony. River side rooms are best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I need three things:
Network connection: Very slow, intermittent, must use safari to get past certification error on apple products, was given wrong password (case of letter was wrong). Couldn't get onto VPN (permitted but too slow. I guess it's the remote location.
Bed: fantastically comfortable, choice of pillows. Very comfy duvet
Bathroom: so modern and beautiful. Only thing is the shower head has no wall mount, no shower curtain. Oh well, had to have a lovely bath in order to prevent flooding the place.

Breakfast: no protein! No meat/eggs. Croissante gave me indigestion from butter overdose. Next day had a piece of bread. Coffee was very nice. They had fruit salad as an option also.

View for even numbered rooms, amazing! Overlooking the river, stunning homes on the other side. Food in surrounding area was great!

Room Tip: Even numbers for the view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dangermousie
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Perfect if you wish a town centre hotel. Spotless rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. Stayed in the hotel for a rugby weekend. Staff happy to sort out airport transfers and recommend local restaurants. Beware of Sunday closing, the town seams to shut up shop!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Grand Hotel is a beautiful old buliding literally on the side of the river and is ideally situated within a couple of minutes walk from the square in the centre of the town. The rooms are furnished in a modern, simple, clean, no fuss style, and those at the back overlook the river and pretty houses on the opposite bank. Some points to note:

1. The hotel has free car parking, but a limited number of spaces which may be problematic on busy weekends. However the staff will endeavor to find you a space and cannot be faulted for their efforts.

2. The room had everything I needed, including a hairdryer, but as others mentioned there are no coffee/tea making facilities. Tea or coffee can be purchased in the bar. There is one English speaking channel on the TV, should you need it.

3. The bedroom, bathroom, in fact all areas of the hotel were spotless. And I mean spotless. I was so impressed I did the 'dusty finger test' just to be sure!

4. Breakfast consists of fruit salad, fruit juice, a yoghurt and as much fresh bread as you can eat, with tea or coffee. We ate there the morning we left for sake of convenience, however there are quite a few cafes very close by serving similar breakfasts slightly cheaper.

5. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, their English was far superior to our French and nothing was too much trouble.

6. And here is why it drops the 'half'. The hotel offers free wifi which is easily accessible in the foyer / dining room. However our room was at the end of the corridor and we discovered we could not access the wifi in the bedroom, only in the corridor outside our room or in our bathroom. This wasn't a major issue for us, but would be for anyone there on business, and actually we felt the problem could be quite easily remedied.

To finish, friends were staying in another similarly priced hotel in town and were quite disgruntled with their accommodation (if you message me I'll tell you!). We took them to see our room and they literally were turning green with envy. Would I return to this hotel? Absolutely. Would I recommend it? Without a hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ItchyFeetSyndrome
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We found this hotel on trip advisor just the night before we needed to stay, so we couldn't believe our luck that not only was the hotel modern, well designed,and extremely comfortable,it was in a perfect location. We were on our way to the Goya museum and found we could see it from the front entrance! We arrived at the weekend so unfortunately could not have dinner at the hotel but we stumbled on Le Pescadou and had the most brilliant meal. Breakfast at the hotel next morning was taken on the terrace over looking the river. We were lucky enough to have a delightful waitress who took care of us and gave us lots of information about the area. The owners were welcoming whist being pleasantly reserved and given that many of the guests were on business we were still made to feel at home. It was a shame that there was not a comfortable seating area but if you like contemporary design you will be very content.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Grand Hotel, newly renovated, in the very heart of the old town is a huge surprise with easy access to everything. We dined on the terrace with magnificent views over the river to the quaint painted houses on the opposite bank. Everything is spanking new, beds, linen, furniture, china….. all very simple and modern. Plenty of space for business meetings and bedrooms for the professionals who visit. If you require a lift, check the room out when booking as some rooms on the first floor only have staircase access. This family run hotel has a personal touch. As we packed our car Mme Fabre disappeared to return with two ice cold bottles of water for the journey. Breakfasts were good – fresh fruit, yoghurts and different breads. We dined in each evening. Delicious chestnut soup garnished with wild mushrooms…... something fresh and local for mains and delicious puds. Our bill was modest for the standard of accommodation and meals. Ask for a room facing the water and soak up the view of the ancient painted houses facing you for they speak of years gone by when lived in by artisans working in the weaving and tanning trades.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple