“A Good Base for a Verdun Battlefield Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Orchidees

Hotel Orchidees
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Verdun
Lichfield
“A Good Base for a Verdun Battlefield Tour”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights during a 4-day battlefield tour of St. Mihiel, Verdun and the Argonne. The hotel is perfectly located for easy access to all of these sites. There is a car park and trip went very smoothly.
The room that I had was very clean, en-suite and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel was busy but I slept well each night. There were no tea/coffee making fascilities in the room. The TV had no UK channels.
Breakfast was OK. The orange juice and coffee were poor.
The staff were fairly friendly and spoke a little English. They wore casual clothes/jeans.
I would be very happy to stay at the hotel again if/when I return to Verdun. Do not be put off by its location on an industrial zone.

Room Tip: I had room 22 and I had no problems with this room. It was clean and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank prhlichfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
South Pacific
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ok bed. Clean room. Ok restaurant. Nice staff. Close to Meuse battlefields. Parking! Breakfast is the standard fair, but got to squeeze your own fresh OJ, which was heavenly! Like all French hotels, a general lack of plug-ins: only one. Next time, I'm bringing multi-plug.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The location of this hotel in the industrial area is not very attractive and the establishment generally looks quite run down from the outside. Our non-smoking room smelt strongly of tobacco but we were readily moved when we complained. The room and bathroom were basic but clean; the bed just acceptable. Breakfast was unvaried but adequate however, the boiled eggs were not replenished when a group of travelling young male workers ate all before we arrived!
We enjoyed the evening meals and found the service in the restaurant generally pleasant and friendly. The front desk staff seemed to change all the time but they were courteous.
I wouldn't stay here again but it suited our purpose to explore the Verdun monuments and museums.

Room Tip: If not booking beforehand I'd ask to see the room before I committed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderer2350
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent one night here when driving across north-western France. It is very convenient to the battlefields and the old centre of Verdun, but you'll need a car to get to either place from the hotel. It is true that the hotel hallway is dark and dismal, but we found the rooms clean and reasonably bright. I had requested the ground floor because of disabilities in my party. Where did they put us? On the ground floor, but at the far end of the hotel -- a long walk for people who have trouble walking. We dined in the hotel restaurant and were very pleased with the meal -- generous portions, well-cooked and interesting -- and at a great price. I would stay here again if needed. I don't recall any of the staff speaking more than a word or two of English.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AnAtlasinMyPurse
Struer
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Located in a Industrial zone of Verdun you will find this hotel. The room interior is cheap and the bed's are very low quality (and too short for a 189 cm guy like myself). Breakfast is extra at a reasonable price, but the selection is quite narrow. The staff (owner ?) did not speak English. However we did find the Hotel very clean. The parking area is a big un-watched (in the night very dark) place, which looks something perfect for a car burglar.

Room Tip: Book a room with single beds. The single beds seems to be in much better shape than the double beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Situated in a quiet location a few miles from Verdun. Ideal location for the battlefields. Public areas fine but corridoors & rooms dingy & dated decor. Clean & comfortable but small bathrooms.
Staff hit & miss, one very helpful.
Good food. Meagre breakfast after Germany but typical French standard.
Wifi good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andyjg_12
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Originally I was wary about staying here due to the low price but the reviews were good and it was near to the war memorials I wanted to visit. We were not greeted on arrival and the lady could not find our booking at first, she then just handed us a key and I had to ask where the bedroom was. What a shock walking down pink dingy corridors to a pink bedroom door with yellow walls it was like a prison block. There is no bathroom as such just a plastic cublcle like you get on boats very tiny. The bar is quite pleasant but we had to share a sofa with the owners children who were watching children's television. We had to use the restaurant as there is nothing nearby but we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The man serving us was not so pleasant and when I asked if they had the menu in English he said yes ' but you should learn to speak French'. We have been visiting France for over 40 years and my wife always uses some French but we have never been spoken to like this before. The second night in the restaurant the starter was very good but my wife's pasta was cold, when they could see we had a problem they ignored us until my wife walked across the restaurant to speak to the man. The pasta was duly warmed up and returned no apology no offer of anything else. My wife left it and said she would not pay for the pasta but he was not interested. Would not recommend this place unless you are desperate!

Room Tip: We have since read they have some rooms that have been decorated make sure you get one of these and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ben2008_10

Travelers are raving about these Verdun hotels