“5 stars for the restaurant but 3 stars for the hotel”
Review of Chateau d'Adomenil

and 1 more site!
Chateau d'Adomenil
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Luneville
London, United Kingdom
“5 stars for the restaurant but 3 stars for the hotel”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were traveling with our baby and had to stop around Nancy. We selected the closest Relais-Chateaux and ended up there. Overall we would have rated this experience excellent, if only the final bill had not been ridiculous.
The restaurant? It was definitively one of our best diners in the last 12 months. Very creative, very tasty, very fine, first class ingredients, light... Service was also excellent. We chose to drink wine by the glass and all proved very good. The price was expensive but since it was a first class experience, I do not regret it. We would recommend a detour to eat there. We ate at a few two or three star restaurants that could not produce such a great eating experience.
The hotel? Service was very good, rooms were very clean but it is too pricey for a house in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

On our journeys to and from Italy we usually have a watering hole near to Calais and a second stop in the Alsace - we always try to find somewhere new - Chateau d'Adomenil was booked via Relais et Chateau.

It is in a rather remote part of Luneville, and without the signs (they just say Adomenil) and a Sat Nav you wouldn't just stumble upon it ! After negotiating the rather long (1 mile road) to get there, on turning into the Chateau, she made a very good impression.

We were rather late arriving thanks to traffic (7.30pm) and as we pulled into the car park, we were greeted by name, and a very smart, young gentleman with our room key, who immediately took our bags from the car. No check in, No form filling. We apologised for our tardy arrival, and advised that we needed to get ready for dinner, as our restaurant booking for 8.15 - time for dinner was not an issue and 9.00 would be fine. We promptly escorted straight to our room, given a full explanation as to everything available to us, and were left a welcome gift of delicious almond cake and fresh fruit.

The room was located in what must have been an old stable block. It was modern, not what we expected, but none the less very well appointed - with a very large open plan bathroom area, with whirlpool, double basins and HUGE sliding patio doors onto a private (well sort of private) terrace with table and chairs, overlooking a courtyard garden. The Minibar was well stocked, and reasonably priced at 20EUR for a demi bouteille of Champagne. After freshening up we headed for dinner.

We had apertifs on the restaurant terrace, with some delightful amuse bouche to go with our Champagne, and once demolished we we shown to our table shortly afterwards.

We opted for the Menu Impression, a nine course tasting menu at 120EUR. (it seemed the best value as most of the mains and starters were around 50EUR) The whole meal was one of theatre and spectacle, each course proudly introduced by our server. From the delicious langoustines to the blue lobster, to the pan fried fois gras with girolles, and the most delicious veal, the food was superb. After our cheese selection the meal culminated and a celebration of 6 different desserts. Could not fault the food, and am surprised that they have just a single michelen star, as the food was as good as our dinner at Louis XV in Monaco.

After a delightful nights sleep, we decided to have breakfast (we could have had breakfast on our private terrace should we have wished to) - the buffet was modest to look at, but the food was all delicious - hams, cheese, smoked salmon, lovely bread and pastries. After we'd taken from the buffet our server was constantly bringing little pots of fruit, delicious passion fruit and pineapple, glorious raspberries and a creme brulee of sorts which was delicious, all accompanied by the most delicious pastries, and by the time we'd finished with our little pots of loveliness, the breakfast was more than plentiful, and of excellent quality.

After breakfast we explored the extensive grounds, that we didn't have chance to do the night before, discovering the glorious pool too - a lovely settings (see photos)

It isn't a cheap hotel, and we didn't expect to be, so if you are on a budget perhaps not the place to go. If however you want a truly memorable visit, superb food, and good service, it is very good value for money.

Well, we'll be going back again that's for sure !

Room Tip: It isn't a cheap hotel, and we didn't expect to be, so if you are on a budget perhaps not th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean N
Glasgow
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Beautiful Chateau with attentive friendly staff. This really would be the perfect overnight stop when driving from Calais to Munich. Such a peaceful and soothing place after a long drive. We were lucky with hot weather and the gardens and swimming pool were a treat.
But.... and it is a big but. The price of dinner is just simply ridiculous. Yes, the food is good and the presentation is the best we have ever encountered ( even surpassing the likes of Inverlochy Castle) but even that does not justify the price. When a langoustine starter for 2 people costs over 100 euros then you realise things are getting silly. Our meal cost twice as much as the room! This really is a shame because we really liked the place and would like to recommend it but visitors should be aware that dinner is likely to cost at least 300 euros.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DRodgers
Fairfield County, CT
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The restaurant at this hotel is worth a drive for dinner. The chateau? It is not worth the money to have a chateau experience when there is no staff to speak of to help you with even the basics. I came with my partner and it was like arriving at a ghost town. We had no idea where anything was and we were finally greeted by a teenager who just showed us where our room was and ....that was that. For half the price we could have stayed at a nearby 4* hotel and gotten much better service. The hotel is pretty from the outside but it seems very overly decorated in a generic way which does not lend itself to the great chateaus that we have stayed through 'Relais and Chateau. However...this does not extend to the restaurant. The food and service and ambiance were wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scott719
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and it was excellent. We try to stay at Relais & Chateaux as often as possible as I am working my way through the book figuring that this is as good a goal as any for a useful and pleasant way to spend money. Tried this one after we landed in Frankfurt and were on our way into France. Service was good, dinner was excellent....all in all a very pleasant and pretty place!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank ELKTravel
NY/Westport/Provence
Reviewed May 29, 2013

First. Despite what I will describe in my review about how the hospitality and service of the reception and hotel staff caused a significant error that cost me a pretty penny but worst....the feeling that we were staying in a rented room alone without any attention until the dining room must not take away from the fact that the dining room is excellent. If this 'place' was not in he middle of nowhere with no reason to stay there unless you have toured Nancy al day or are passing by while motoring, I would suggest to head on over for DINNER and then move on. We arrived at this chateau on 5/16 after following a local route that seemed almost tired and residential. Certainly nothing charming. Voila. We entered the grounds of the chateau and it was a beautiful building with a view of a farm and cows and we were relieved. Still...it is an odd place for an R&C.
There was a Bentley parking in the large parking area and the very confused British man seemed to be arguing with the very young woman who was trying to explain that he should park to the side as not to block the other cars and deliveries as our two cars sat in a near empty large parking area. I smiled as this is a perfect example of 'Gallic culture' that I actually love and respect. This young woman (no more than 20) came over and asked us to do the same. We then sat in the parking lot, as she asked us to wait, as she brought the English party into the Chateau. I thought it was odd that we were not greeted by any bellboys or a host who greets the guests, registers them and shows them the lay out of the Chateau. This is pretty common in most R&C. Well....we sat there for about another 10 minutes feeling like it was a bit of a ghost town and I was just about to enter the chateau when the young woman came out to our car. Her first comment, as we had taken our bags out of the car, " My. You have a lot of luggage!". I understood why she said that when I saw her struggling to try to lift just one of the two large valises and two carry-on bags. 'Isn't there someone to bring the bags to the room?' I asked. She did not answer but just smiled as I tok the bag away from her and carried that and the other myself (as my partner did) She did thank us for carrying the bags. We walked into an empty reception area that although deserted..was quite charming. We were told nothing, no information, nothing about our dinner and where everything was located. I blame this entirely on the owner who when on hand was overly friendly but without her around...you felt like you were on your own. This caused major issues for me the next day when I received the bill as everything would have been discussed about our reservation as is normal at a hotel of this supposed caliber. We schlepped the bags following the young woman to our superior room in what was supposed to be the area with more ambiance in one of the turret-like areas. It is true that the hallways and the room was clean, fresh and all done up very nicely. But most of the furnishings were cheap reproductions that looked like they belonged in a 3* Novotel and what was considered luxurious, in my opinion, was just generic hotel with faux period furniture and just nothing realy that special. Our chambre was a nice room but there was no sense that we were staying in an ancient chateau. I will say that the bathroom was large, modern and very well done and the nook area used for working on your computer was a plus. All in all....we were disappointed. When we went down to dinner, everything changed and if the matter of service and reception had not caused me to spend 193 euros more than I anticipated, I might have forgiven the generic chateau because the cuisine of the restauant was terrific. We had reserved dinner in the bistro but as it was closed we were told, in our reservation, tht we would be eating in the 1* michelin restaurant. Fine. It got great reviews on trip advisor and we decided it was worth the splurge. We looked at the menu for the evening and the regular menu with those extraordinary high prices and I wished we had the choice of demi-pensionne as i did not care for any of the special menus (68 euros..85 euros..something like that) for that evening. I told the server that I did not know if it was possible to hve demi-pensionne and she returned saying it was fine and to take a choice from the starters (entrees) , main plate and dessert. My partner had an incredible meal enjoying the desconstruction of a lobster in three very innovative ways as his main course and although I don't eat red meat, my only option besides veal was the filet de boeuf and I must say it was amazing. Everything about the meal was superb from the amuses-bouches, appetizers and the wonderful chocolate layers of thin cake put on a sugar stick with a delectable sauce...No complaints! Well....okay...the chateau was a big disappointment although the owner , when we finally met her, was incredibly friendly,but the restaurant was great. We took our breakfast in the bistro and 'kudos' to the older fellow who ran the whle breakfast himself with style and grace and even was able to perform some extras with missing a beat. I would strongly suggest putting him at the front desk as a full time representative of the hotel for arriving guests! Now..here comes the rub that shows that when a place of this caliber is not service oriented and does not cover al facets of your stay, there can be a big problem. The very sweet owner handed me the bill and I gasped when i saw that the dinner was 3x the price that I had thought. it was all added as a la carte which is madness. Who ever orders like that unless you are very, very rich. What should have been about a 400E night with dinner turned out to be about 600E. All from the a la carte dinner charges. When I started to explain to the owner that we had been told we were offered demi-pensionne last night (and I certainly expeced a supplement for the lobster) and that this was shocking. Instead of realizing that this all lay in the fault of the way we had been greeted with lack of communication until...check-out, she simply puled out my request for dinner in the bistro from my email and indeed where they had written back about diner in the Michelin star restaurant. I mentioned that it was her server who told us we had these choices from the menu at demi-pensione and with a big smile she said that was not possible. Ca ne vaut pas la peine...is a French expression that fit this moment perfectly . It was not worth ruining my day or making it a bigger issue as it was obvious that the owner was not going to even offer some sort of solution, that I just let it go because I just wanted to leave and still be able to enjoy the day. So..you can see why overall...we felt we'd been victims to the lack of staff, cohesiveness and structure of details that make most R&C such a pleasure. I can see why many Americans like this place who are tourists perhaps visiting France for the first time or maybe not being aware of some of the amazing Chateaus that are available more to the South that have authentic charm and are , if anything staff-heavy. It is cute and the food is delicious. If you are a wizened traveler who knows France very well....stay away from this establishment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LeTerrible
São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Chateau d'Adomenil is a wonderful place. I spent one night there in the Chateau and it was wonderful. The room was lovely decorated, very cozy and comfortable. The staff was excellent and everything was wonderful. They offered us a delicious cake made by the Chef. The breakfast was ok. A lovely place to stay. Perfect to relax and enjoy the pleasures of France.

Room Tip: Stay in the chateau.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luneville
Hotel Les Pages
Hotel Maison Carree
Hotel Maison Carree
#1 of 1 in Mereville
Coeur de City Hotel Nancy Stanislas by HappyCulture

Been to Chateau d'Adomenil? Share your experiences!