“Just what we wanted”
Review of Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Limoges
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We needed a cheapish hotel, fairly central, and fit for a family with 2 young kids. Really clean, comfy beds, nice en suite. Great location in town. Wish we had had 2 nights to see more of Limoges. Free parking just outside from 7 pm to 9 am which was great.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MrsSIbbs

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We wanted to steer clear of any of the ubiquitous chain hotels and instead spent a night at the Hotel De La Paix. Conveniently located in a beautiful square with a small park, the hotel had genuine charm and the welcome was friendly. We were able to park the car overnight right in front of the hotel without charge. In the daytime parking is restricted, but the hotel offers parking in a garage. The centre of town with numerous food and entertainment options as well as most tourist sites are within easy walking distance. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dieter H
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Yes I will definately return to this "quirky" hotel, you couldn't find more helpful and friendly owners, they didn't have to be asked to give me a map of the area and mark the interesting attractions. Then they checked we weren't vegetarian before telling us of an amazing restaurant show casing Limousin beef. The best beef I have had in any restaurant for a very long time.

I loved the decor, our room and bathroom were fine, I didn't notice the drunks but I am a good sleeper but I did find the bed a bit firm.

Breakfast was a typical french buffet and the bread exceptionally tastyand lovely fresh peaches.

We used the parking garage which was convenient but my husband commented it was a bit scary going up to the second level on a large and heavy BMW motorbike, I let him bring it down on his own which is not a good idea as as operating the key exit while on the bike is tricky, I'll go with him next time.

If they reccommend the restaurant "La Vache au Plafond" ask them to book you a table, we only just got in and it really is a not to miss ecperience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the square if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

As others have said this is a quirky and unusual place! We stayed there for two nights.The decor is truly original - all old gramopgones and phonographs and associated era stuff! It's in a small square, with a tiny garden at the centre, about 5 minutes from the Cathedral and a similar distance the other way from the Eglise St Michel.It's quite a busy place with a lot of traffic but quiet at night (we didn't hear any drunks as another contributor did, and our room did overlook the square). Our room was on the second floor -no lift - and was fine but the bed was very uncomfortable. The petit dejeuner was traditionally French and absolutely fine! All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Parking is either on meters (free at night until 9am) or in a private garage at 8 euros per night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula S
Reviewed July 13, 2012

After reading TA reviews and a suggestion from a DK guide, I reserved this hotel for my small family. The Hotel de la Paix was more than "quirky," it's just plain weird. It's hard to explain; I've never seen anything like it. Besides being filled with gramophones, it's like an old guest house with plastic this-n-that everywhere.

The best thing about the hotel is the owners, who I found completely charming and helpful. The evening front desk gentleman, who I found out later was the owner's eldest son, couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. I believe I met the owner's wife and another son, equally gracious.

The room was large with two floor to ceiling windows and a small balcony. I experienced the same nuisance as other TA guests with the drunks in the park across the street -- noisy and raucous. Earplugs helped. Beds okay. The bathroom had an electric toilet (never seen one of these before and it was noisy).

The hotel is well-situated in Limoges, a wonderful town. Limoges has good food, nice people and beautiful sites. It was a pleasure each day we trekked around the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TravelinFuel_3
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Okay, it is not a glamorous five star hotel, but they are SO nice here and when you are tired, that means a lot! I told the cabbie I needed someplace close to a really good restaurant, clean, and close to the train station as I will leave in the morning. Perfect. Nothing special but I have a clean bath tub, a window, I am only paying 60 E for the one night. Right up the street is a fun restaurant. Fine in a pinch, but this would not be a destination hotel for me if I were only traveling for a week.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bfrancisdesign
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here for one night only thankfully. It is in a pretty ugly part of town opposite a park that seems constantly full of drunks. And they were noisy all night. Staff were helpful but the breakfast was pretty poor and the rooms adequate cuts the kind of place that has the same carpet around the bath ad on the floor. And no air con. You get what you pay for I guess and you can walk to the old part of town fairly quickly

• Stayed: August 2011