“Good with potential”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Le Bec a Vin is a cute restaurant within the old part of Uzes. We went on a Saturday night at 8pm for dinner. This spring is colder than usual in Provence so we ate inside on a cold and windy night. The design of the restaurant is subtle but warm but when you open the door you are right in the middle of one of their two dining rooms so be prepared for everyone to look up at you.

Overall we had a good meal but there were a few small things that could be improved upon.

I had the Menu du Grand Bec for 29 €. To start I had pork rillettes that the menu said came with roquette and toasts. Mine came with a small baby spinach salad (it was good but it looked like the kind of baby spinach you can buy at the grocery store in a bag, roquette would have paired better), one small dry toast of bread and 1 small gherkin pickle cut in half. The pork portion was generous and tasty and I ate with the fresh bread from the basket. This starter would have benefited from a jam or chutney or more pickles - something acidic to match the richness of the pork would have made this dish pop.

Next I had the croustillant de confit de canard. It was delicious and had a lovely savoury flavour complemented by plump raisins. But it, like the pork starter, needed a fruity acidic coulis to really make this dish shine. On our trip into Uzes we noticed many cherry stands - something from fresh cherries would have been a lovely local addition. It came with the same spinach salad I had with my pork- odd since I had ordered the Menu and thus the kitchen should have known I'd be eating two small spinach salads in a row.

Then for dessert I ordered the crême brulée. It was delicious but the portion size was a bit large (this, coming from a North American!). And it came with the lovely surprise of a boule of caramel ice cream (terrific!) but a smaller portion would have been just fine.

My companion had the gambas cooked in pastis as a starter - they were fine but overcooked. He next had the steak which was good but found their 'au point' on the rarer-than-usual-for-France side. His dessert was the chocolate brownie paired with vanilla ice cream - it was very good but the portion size again was a bit big.

The service was good but it felt a bit like they were breaking in new staff. I suspect in a few weeks time things will be a bit more fine-tuned.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had tried to get a table on a Saturday night without success so were pleased to eat here on a Sunday night. I had pork which was delicious. A delightful stone vaulted room with a delightful atmosphere. Uzes has a special magic, and this restaurant down a medieval lane brings the whole romance of a bistro in a living ancient town together. The chateauneuf de pape wine tasted wonderful.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had a great experience here and would have returned if we'd had more time (and could get a reservation).

Bec à Vin has an inventive menu and charming owner and hostess Chloe lived a few years in Australia.

Photos: http://faculty.washington.edu/swittet/France2013/

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Fabulous bistro food, wonderful hosts, beautiful outside terrace. We ate here twice, each time it was faultless. Essential to book.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The service is friendly, the food is a good gastro bistro standard, the wine list has interesting bottles from the South of France. The indoor space for winter has a cosy atmosphere with a vaulted stone ceiling, and in summer the small outdoor courtyards are equally inviting and shaded. Menu has half a dozen choices per course, with a varied selection (though almost everyone at our table had the sinfully good Coupe Mont Aigoual - chestnut puree, vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream!). Very genuine, well worth a visit