“This was one of the most beautiful places we hav ever stayed in.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Perpignan
Chateau La Tour Apollinaire
Ranked #4 of 21 Perpignan B&B and Inns
London
“This was one of the most beautiful places we hav ever stayed in.”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I cannot believe the post I have just read above this one complaining about what we found to be a tranquil, beautifully designed hotel run by an an extremely lovely couple with great staff who did their upmost to make sure we had a pleasant stay.

We stayed in the Bourgogne room for three nights on 18th July this year - 3 nights in this relaxing haven was not enough! This was the first port of call on our honeymoon, and what an amazing place for it to begin. Firstly we were greeted by Elena, who was lovely, she showed us our beautiful room (four poster bed, free standing bath, VERY clean, and very stylishly decorated), on the mantlepiece was a lovely hand-made card congratulating us on our wedding. She then spent a long time telling us all the good places to go and recommending places to eat in Perpignan (all her recommendations were spot on).

Before heading out for dinner we relaxed outside in the gardens which were so well looked after and dare I say it again, incredibly beautiful. As we sat there we couldn't beleive how lucky we were to be staying in such a lovely place, and also what amazing value for money it was.

The location is perfect, easily in walking distance of the beautiful old town, but far enough away that when you are relaxing around the incredibly clean pool area (with lovely wooden sunbeds - attention to detail here was superb) or sitting in the gardens you are not disturbed by any noise at all. We also had no problem with noise from any other guests in their rooms and the hotel was full at the time we were there. I am shocked at what the previous post says about the noise, we heard nothing and while we were there we spoke with two other couples who both loved the place as much as we did - one so much that they were returning there at the end of their holiday - something we wished we had done as well - when we returned to Perpignan to fly back to London it was hard not to go back!

And the breakfasts!! They were out of this world, so delicious and so beautifully presented - we felt as though we were treated so well while we were here.

La Tour Applollinaire is a fantastic, romantic, tranquil and beautiful place to stay, we will never forget it and have been raving about it to our friends and family since we got back.

I can't recommend the place enough. I think the guy above secretly feels the same and just doesn't want everyone else to find out about this little gem down in the far South- West corner of France!!

We will definitely be returning.

Katie & Craig, London

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This residence has so many nice things and yet it is truly impossible to look past the problems and I would strongly advise that you do not make the same mistake that we did and book into the hotel.

I am not sure how this hotel is so highly rated, there may be some explanation, perhaps if everyone who has reviewed has stayed in the best room, but essentially this place could never get five stars in my opinion.

The place itself as highlighted by the website and some of the other reviews is very nice, the rooms are decorated to a high spec and clearly money has been spent to develop this property. The pool and garden area is a really nice place to relax.

When booking I was told that we would be in the Cabernet room for the first 6 nights and the final night in Bourgogne room because of previous bookings (I booked a week before arrival).

Upon arrival the owner who appeared pleasant showed us to our room though never offered to help either myself or my girlfriend up about 50 steps; instead allowing her (and I) to struggle with 2 cases and a backpack. The room when we arrived appeared to be small but adequate.

Once the owner left we lay down in the room and immediately heard very clear conversations from the room next door and very loud noise from the floorboards of the room above.

I immediately went back downstairs to mention this to the owners, asked if it was possible to move rooms and that we were no happy. The claimed they had never had any complaint before but we both found that VERY hard to believe. Whilst I was down there my girlfriend stayed in the room sitting on the bed and listening to the couple in the next room dry their hair and go for a pee.

When I came back to the room she explained and I could hear the even louder racket. The owners said that was the only room in the house that was available and based solely on the fact it was mid evening I agreed to stay that night but that we would leave in the morning.

That was the worst nights sleep I have had in 10 years since I was sleeping in a tent in Yosemite – where it was wet and cold! During the night we both woke up on at least 6 occasions. When those above walked to the bathroom it really felt like they were going to come through the floor – I sleep through most things but the sound was VERY loud. We were then both awoken every time anyone flushed the toilet and on one occasion to the sound of someone in the next room sitting on the toilet and doing a number 2! Not pleasant in any way.

In the morning we packed and could not wait to leave!

We went down stairs and the owners apologised and again said nobody else had ever said anything – which I truly struggle to believe. They were happy for us to leave and concluding the conversation I said that we were here for a relaxing week and despite there offering to give us a different room on Wednesday and Thursday then the original one on Friday we were keen just to leave.

I said to the owners that I assumed the rest of the stay (that I had paid for in full the week before) would be refunded to my card. At this point the owners showed their true colours. Despite providing a room which I challenged them to sleep in if they didn’t believe me they refused to give us any refund at all for any of the nights! I said that I was not happy with this and the owner then went to print me a copy of the terms and conditions (which I had never actually seen before) and to quote stated “I’m going to get my lawyer to speak to your lawyer”.

I still cannot believe this happened and I was happy to fight this fight but my girlfriend was of the opinion – probably correctly that it was not worth it though was very upset by the whole thing.

The next thing that happened was that the owners rang a local hotel that they claimed was the best in Perpignan and said they would try and get us a room there which was quiet. They booked us into the park hotel and were very keen to pay on their credit card which we actually thought was quite nice at the time given the previous conversation. However, when we got there we found that it was quite a poor quality 3* hotel with very basic rooms, no facilities, no pool and in the town – essentially not a suitable spot for relaxing. However, at least we managed some sleep! What was interesting however that was a room at the park hotel was EUR75 a night and they were still happy to keep our EUR120.

We spent 3 fairly unhappy days in the hotel, both of us felt cheated and we did not want to spend any more time than absolutely essential in the hotel which didn’t help us relax.

Despite the problems we couldn’t wait to get out of there come Wednesday when we were moving to allegedly the best room in the house ‘Chablis’ and we both agreed it was really nice. A very nice room and at the top of the house there was going to be no issue regarding people falling through the ceiling! There was a nice terrace and a real romantic room, yet still when in the room we could hear the couple next door having a conversation – specifically the lady saying to the gentleman who were really nice and who we chatted to quite a bit…”I cannot believe you are drinking red wine in the shower” – this illustrates the nature of the problem.

We stayed there for 2 nights and were happy there; had we been there for a week I think it would have been ok. But then we had to move again to the Bourgogne room. The room was nice and we had definitely by this point put the bad 1st room experience down as perhaps a 1-off. But whilst this room had 5m high ceilings and 3 outside walls and was nowhere near as bad as the 1st room we were still woken up by our neighbours coming in from a night out and then at 0830 by people walking on the floor of the room above who didn’t stop till almost 1000. This was again loud and way above an acceptable level.

The breakfast was ok, though for EUR12 each you might expect fresh orange juice rather than juice out of a carton and a better selection including maybe some hot food.

In summary this place has really great potential. But that is all it is, potential. The owners appear greedy and that costs everything. They have invested in the extras but have not got the basics right, from our experience of 3 rooms, the whole place just needs soundproofing.

As a parting gesture on the last day, having packed all the bags and put them in the corner of the room and explained to Serg (the assistant) where they were he felt it necessary to come out to the pool where we were both sunbathing and get us to come and move the bags 20m rather than just move them himself. It is not a massive issue but essentially sums up the level of service. All is well while there is something in it for the owners but as soon as that is gone-there is little interest in going the extra mile-not good enough for this kind of place in my book.

Having to pack and unpack 4 times for 4 Rooms in a week of which at least 3 of them inadequate and being threatened and ripped off by the owner is abysmal in my book…sorry but there was so much wrong with this place both in terms of service and the hotel itself I can give it nothing more than a 1 

• Liked — Garden and Pool area / Room Design
  • Disliked — Soundproofing, Service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LondonRjp
Manager777, Manager at Chateau La Tour Apollinaire, responded to this review, August 9, 2007
The management and staff are disappointed to read the comments of this reviewer, as we went out of our way to help him, and he and his girlfriend left smiling and saying they "loved our place". The couple next door to them left very happy, and we can only apologise again for the creaking floor boards in our newest room. This problem will be fixed very shortly by our maintenance team.

To say that the reaction of this guest is "over the top" would be an understatement. We are all international travellers and can honestly say that there are always small noises from adjacent rooms in even the best of hotels. Even at 500 per night there is never a guarantee of total silence 24 hours a day.

I know of no place in the world where a complaint about noisy neighbours in a hotel charging 120 per night would be met with an offer of a room at another hotel at the management's expense, until a different room became available. Yet we offered this and paid for their stay at what is considered to be one of the best hotels in Perpignan, the Park (part of Best Western) at a cost to us of €275. We personally moved the guests bags from one room to another when they changed rooms. We are a self-catering establishment and our levels of service and client satisfaction are excellent, as viewed by our other guests on this website.

We do use fresh orange juice for our breakfasts (as well as mango and other exotic fruits)- only the best, and our breakfast is the same price as in other local establishments despite offering twice the quantity and quality.

And to all readers of this TripAdvisor column, please rest assured that we are committed to remaining the no 1 place to stay and enjoy Perpignan and the magical Pyrenees-Orientales region.

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed July 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in June 2007 in the Tour Appartment, a romantic four storey set of rooms with spectacular views of the surrounding city and mountains. This is one of the few appartments to have a private kitchen and sitting room. When we arrived we received a lovely welcome from Elena and received lots of information on the local restaurants, shops and places to visit. We were then left in privacy, but knew where to go if we needed anything. The appartments are 10 minutes walk from the centre of Perpignan and also have a fantastic bakery, supermarket and other small shops just round the corner. The rooms were decorated and furnished in a boutique style with fresh flowers to greet us. The rooms are very clean and well supplied with equipment. The appartment had a lot of steps but we loved the unusual design and felt very snug in the top floor bedroom. Our car was parked securly behind gates and the swimming pool and small garden are very peaceful. We would have happily bought the appartment and lived there forever. Highly recommended.

Kathryn and Andrew, Nottinghamshire UK

• Liked — The amazing design of the appartment and furshishings
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Greater manchester
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Just spent 1 week at the Chateau, it was fantastic. Elena and Robin are perfect hosts, there if needed but NEVER intrusive. Rooms beautifully restored, gardens and pool area the most relaxing. A very calm oasis but within easy walking distance of the centre. Would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good taste. Will definitely return when in need of a little R & R

• Liked — The feeling of relaxation, coupled with luxury
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We have just retrurned from a fantastic 4 night stay at Chateau La Tour Apollinaire and would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone seeking the highest quality accommodation with easy access to the city of Perpignan. The restoration of the old chateau deserves the highest praise for the owners Robin and Elena. They have created a unique establishment set in it's own secure grounds and the accommodation is every bit a 5 star self catering experience - although breakfast is available if required. The extremely large apartments are tastefully furnished and amply equipped to ensure complete comfort. The gardens are beautiful and the heated pool and comfortable poolside furniture enable you to take full advantage of the lovely weather in this area of the South of France. Perpignan city centre is a 10 minute walk away and our hosts help in booking La Gallinette (the only Michelin star restaurant in the area) was greatly appreciated. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and as a consequence have booked another stay for the beginning of August.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank andyccpc
Manchester.
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We stayed at the Château La Tour Apollinaire in March this year. First good point was that it was only a short distance from the airport but as the airport is only small noise was not a problem. The hotel is hidden away behind electric gates and towers before you as you round the drive. The gardens were full and fragrant and the owners Robin and Elena came out to meet us before we had even parked the car. Robin then gives a short but informative talk about the hotel, Perpignan and the surrounding area. All of which was very useful and made you feel at home
The bedroom was simple stylish and comfortable. The bathroom modern and clean. The kitchen dining area you share with another room however no-one was in the other room whilst we were there. The kitchen/dining area has everything you could want from microwave to dishwasher. The living area with two settees and small balcony was very comfortable. Overall the Château La Tour Apollinaire is excellent value and we would recommend it to everyone

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Misty_Gizzmo
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2007

Had a post Christmas/New year break , stayed at La Chateau La Tour Apollinaire a break with a difference lovely apartment, just a couple of things to note if staying there; we stayed in the tower apartment which had a total of 70 stairs from the gound floor to the bedroom level, quite a challenge every time you went out especially with suitcases on arrival and departure. We thought there would be connection for laptop but this had not been installed, also no tv and could not operate DVD as no instructions but was sorted day after we arrived; we also had a problem with the electricity, if we switched oven/grill on or even used hairdryer the whole apartment would fuse so no electricity, had to go down all the stairs to report to owner each time it happened as there is no communication from apartment to main office. Owner came to flat and turned one heater off so circuit would not be overloaded but this left lounge/dining area quite cold but it did fix electricity overloading. Apologies were shown in the way of a very welcoming bottle of champagne, nice jesture.
Loved Perpignan, hired a car and went to Narbonne/Carcassone which should not be missed if in the area, also drove to Pyrennes and Spain on costal route, There was lots of information and suggested visits, recommendation for restaurants etc in the apartment, very helpful for planning days out.

4 Thank Veronica W