“Great service, great food”
Review of Le Barathym

Le Barathym
Ranked #51 of 517 Restaurants in Perpignan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I saw this little gem while out wandering the streets of Perpignan one day and decided to give ourselves a treat on our last night in town.
Located not far from the main old church it's pretty easy to find and a very pretty room, we elected to sit indoors to give ourselves a break from the constant smokers you will have to endure all over France.
And that was a good call, the room has a wonderfully restrained atmosphere, the tables not crowding in on each other and very sympathetic lighting. The only odd thing out was the music which while very quiet seemed to be a local " classic hits" rock station, and not at all suited to the atmosphere, but that is nitpicking, because, like the music, the menu is full of classic hits.
We went for a shared entree of local deli meats, or as described on the menu a " selection of charcuterie " at 20 euros a bit pricey but very nice, the mains we chose were the real stars of the night, a filet of beef for her and a duck breast with apricots for me.
The beef cooked to perfection, juicy, tasty and rested long enough to let it sink back to warm softness, the duck breast done perfectly as well, slightly pink and full of flavour, sliced on an angle with each piece topped with a juicy little apricot bit.
There is no English menu and the staff has as much English skills as we have French skills, which is none, but don't let that put you off, our delightful waitress Silvie going through the menu with imitations of the animals involved, quack quack, moo moo and her imitation of a fish was inspired.
All in all a very satisfying experience, not the cheapest night out in Perpignan but certainly one of the best.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We spotted this place down a lane near the Castle right in the middle of Perpignan.

The service was prompt and the menu very interesting. When the food arrived it was delicious and creatively presented.
The dessert choices were equally good and none of us left a thing.

The wine andspirit list is quite extensive and features many local places.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We came upon this restaurant by chance and we were charmed by thé atmosphere, food and service! Highly recommend!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived for lunch before one, and were notified that there was only 1 plat du jour (chicken) left. The restaurant was barely 1/3rd full so we were surprised, but they offered an alternative (duck) in its place, which was fine - we ordered one of each. Twenty minutes later...the waitress came back to inform us that the plat would not be available at all and would I have the duck also? Or else order off the board. As the items on the board were twice the price, I asked if I could have one at a lower price as a gesture of goodwill for the delay and confusion. I was told no. I said we no longer wanted lunch and would just pay for our wine. They were not pleased, and the waitress eventually offered me gambas at the plat du jour price. I was happy with that. Fifteen minutes later it arrived and looked lovely in a creamy lemon-coloured curry sauce. As I removed the tail from the head, black liquid oozed out and turned the sauce an unpleasant gray. I tried to save some sauce (which was nice) from the rising tide of black liquid, and ate what I could. I really would rather enjoy lunch than complain so I said nothing. Ordering dessert was no more successful - we were presented with the board, left for ten minutes, then told two out of five were unavailable. The roast peach (my 3rd choice) was drowning in a tasteless custard. I've had many lovely lunches in this town, the menu du jour is almost always impressive.... and available. This time not so much.

1  Thank Smaccr
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went for lunch. Did not fancy the menu du jour so ordered off the carte. Not a cheap lunch but absolutely worth it. Food different and imaginative. Really good service and will continue to look forward to using!