“I wouldn't recommend it”
Review of Hotel Empire

Hotel Empire
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Nimes
Dublin, Ireland
“I wouldn't recommend it”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Very old-fashioned hotel in an unpleasant part of town. Expensive parking in a run-down single garage behind the hotel kitchen. Very busy roads outside. Breakfast was the only good experience. I'm glad I didn't have to stay there longer. I wouldn't recomment this place.

Room Tip: rooms not facing the road/main entrance
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Agnes1973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel is an average spot with good location within walking distance to the sites in town (Maison Carree, Arena). Breakfast is filling and plentiful with a variety of fresh pastries, cheeses, and fruits. Nothing special about the rooms, service, or amenities.

Room Tip: We were there during the Feria, so with the carnival activities in full swing, for quieter rooms, ch...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Where do I start....I have never left a one star review on tripadvisor before but feel that I should warn other people about this terrible hotel.

Don't be fooled by the hotel's website this is a grotty, run-down hotel in a rather unsavoury part of town staffed by indifferent receptionists and a downright rude hotel manager.

On arrival he insisted we pay up front for the three nights we had booked through booking.com. when we expressed surprise at this and asked if we would at least be able to see the room before paying he became hostile. The first room he showed us was in a corridor that was still being renovated with cement floors and bare plaster walls, the room itself was very spartanly furnished and smelled of paint and stale cigarette smoke.

He then offered us another, better room but told us to hurry up and decide and told us to come to reception to pay straight away. The second room was more spacious, but dark and dingy with an old mattress on the bed and the cleanliness was not what I would expect. Unimpressed with both the room and his attitude I told him we were thinking of looking for another hotel. At this he laughed and told us we couldnt go anywhere else as he would charge us the 3 nights anyway. His exact words were "Vous etes coincés" which means "you are stuck"

I paid up as I didnt think I had a choice but encountered more rudeness later and did not enjoy the stay in the hotel at all.

I speak good French and was polite to him at all times so there was absolutely no need for him to be rude. This hotel is not cheap and there are many, many better options in Nimes.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ali3240

Travelers are raving about these Nimes hotels

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We booked this hotel and were charged, but refused to stay there. The hotel is in a run down part of town. Although a garage was advertised, the desk clerk immediately told us it was full and that we need to park our car in public parking for a charge. The vestibule was 'under construction', the lobby dingy. The rugs on the corridor floor were visibly stained and dirty, with many worn spots. The rooms were small, dark, poorly and shabbily furnished and doors with flimsy locks. We were shown other rooms that were no better. All had a funny odor. We complained that the rooms and facilities did not match the pictures and description on the web and that there had been no notice about limited availability of a parking garage (a necessity for us especially in this area of town as we were driving a luxury car.) We turned the rooms down and eventually found our way to another hotel close to the Jardin de la Fontaine and the Maison Carree. The desk clerk, who was alternately gloomy and bellicose, shouted at us that he was going to charge us anyway when we told him the rooms were unacceptable (we had made reservations by credit card). So, although we didn't stay at the "Empire" we paid, and we saw, smelled, and heard enough to justify a review. My wife and I and our friends (a couple from Germany) are all experienced travelers. Heed our warning and stay away from the Empire. There are plenty of other lodgings in and about the 'old city' of Nimes.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends