“This is seriously good food ”
Review of L'Ancien Theatre

L'Ancien Theatre
Ranked #7 of 609 Restaurants in Nimes
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

I’d read some of the reviews so I called in on spec on a cold Wednesday evening to find it fully booked - they have just 28 covers. The chef-patron apologised and suggested I book for the following evening. I am very glad I took his advice. There is no menu, the focus is on fish and the patron describes the choice of two entrees and two main dishes. I chose the house speciality of brandade de morue - an emulsion of salt cod, a touch of garlic and olive oil. Neither creamed potato nor cream is added. The flavour comes from the fish and the top quality olive oil. Just delicious.
My main dish was a fricasse of octopus on a bed of baby veg - carrots, green beans and a couple of small potatoes, topped with crispy onion. One of the best seafood dishes I have ever eaten. I chose a 50cl bottle of white from the Duchy of Uzes, a bargain at €17. For dessert a lime sorbet with crystallised ginger was tangy and an ideal palate cleanser. The service was excellent, M. le patron is clearly focussed on making sure that his guests appreciate what he has to offer. My bill was €55. I have often had less enjoyable meals at double that price. Will I go again? Yes, indeed, but don’t go on spec.

Reviewed April 21, 2017

Food is all very flavourful and interesting. Limited choice but I could have eaten anything on offer from this great restaurant. Superb wine, which I had not heard of before and prices okay for Nimes. Very friendly service.

Reviewed October 13, 2016

There's one sitting for dinner, at 8 p.m. Four choices are available: two entrees (or appetizers in NA terms) and two plats (main courses). All were fish or shellfish. My wife and I had all four and shared them. They were all wonderful! We then had cheese, dessert (three choices), and an Armagnac for me. With half a bottle of local wine the total cost was 91 euros. Given the high quality of everything we ate, that price was super-reasonable. Don't expect to get a table without reserving one at least a day before you show up, Highly recommended.

1  Thank operalover939
Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

We had dinner in this restaurant and had a wonderful experience. The owner welcomed us warmly and was helpful in selecting the wine. The dishes we selected were all excellent ( the brandade first i.e. codfish ) tasty, well-cooked and quite original. The desert was excellent (profiterolles). It is a bit pricey but definitely worth it in my opinion. I can strongly recommend this place.

1  Thank Petrus61
Reviewed July 13, 2016

We had a lovely lunch here today , with again the type of cooking and taste that you only tend to get from a very short menu . Both the starter and main were very good , and the service was first rate . Highly recommended

1  Thank geoffexplorer