“Amazing Food, Great Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Comédie
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Food, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I took my fiancée here for valentine's day just because we liked the look of it when we'd walked past a few times. I was expecting it to be a nice place based on the reviews, but I didn't expect it to be as amazing as it was.

To start with the staff were really nice. They were very welcoming and smiley and helpful with explaining wine. Their wine menu was quite novel and nice, it was called a living menu which was actually a wall full of wine bottles that you walk up to and browse rather than looking at a piece of paper.

They had a special valentines day menu which was really cool because some dishes had been designed around sharing and a lot came decorated with flowers. A really nice touch.

The meal started with an oyster amuse bouche. Now, personally I am not a fan of oysters but this took me completely by surprise. It was actually chopped oysters that they'd added small amounts of herbs, lemon, rocket and fruit to. It was literally the first time I've enjoyed oysters. I was going to try it and then leave the rest to my fiancée but it was too good!

My main was a filet de boeuf, and it was probably the best steak I've had in my life. I don't know if they put a sauce on it that I couldn't see or if it was cooked on charcoals, but it had a smokey flavour I've never tasted before that was amazing, and it was so tender and warm the whole way through that they must have steak cooking down to a fine science. My fiancée had swordfish, and although I've never tried it before I suspect that this was also top of its game because it was just lightly seared, very tender with a great sauce and reminded me a bit of scallops.

The desert was a choice of either chocolate mousse cake or rose mousse. The chocolate cake was really good but the rose mousse was something special. Not too sugary, it had a light rose flavour and a mild sweetness. It was another thing that took me by surprise because I'm used to most deserts being too sweet.

Overall, I would say this was easily my best dining experience in France, and in the top few of my life.

• Visited February 2014

Ontario, Canada
“Outstanding food. Very slow service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were greeted by a charming young waiter, and shown into a beautiful room, but the service went downhill from there. 10 minutes to receive the menu, then 30 more minutes before our order was taken, and all this time without any offer to bring us a drink! Usually you are asked about a drink as soon as the menu is brought. Then 20 minutes until the amuse Bouche arrived and another 20 minutes wait for the first course. Meanwhile the charming waiter is rushing to and fro and joking with the customers to help cover for the delays and his lack of an efficient method. But, the amuse Bouche, the first course, and the second course were all imaginatively created and perfectly executed. A delicious meal and excellent value. Many problems could be solved by giving the waiter an assistant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cork, Ireland
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

A group of us were in Montpellier for a rugby game, and came upon this restaurant by chance. We had an outstanding meal in a most convivial atmosphere, with excellent hosts. There is a chance we will return to Montpellier in the not too distant future and this restaurant will definitely feature in our plans !

It's quite a small restaurant so we were lucky to get a table, especially as it filled up soon after. Some of the dishes we had were Duck, Lamb (slow cooked), melt in the mouth steak mmmm.... and desserts of Moelleaux au chocolat and a Rum cake where you inject the rum ! See attached photos.

Washed down with liberal amounts of local wine, my companions and I really enjoyed the meal and ambience. I should point out that the toilets are located downstairs, for anyone not nimble.

• Visited April 2013
Luang Prabang, Laos
“Excellent traditional fare, charming atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Had an excellent dinner here including duck cassoulet, meltingly tender. There is a wide variety of local wines for each course, available for tasting before one selects a glass. It's a small place, maybe 8 tables set in a cellar - very charming. Only downside was the service, which started out fine, but by the end of the meal was distinctly indifferent.

Visited April 2011
Canberra
“Wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We were so impressed with the friendly service, the quality of the food and the value for money that we're going back before we leave Montpellier.

We asked for wine reccomendations and the caveist (aka wine specialist) gave us great advice.

I had pork with lentils and my partner had really yummy duck cassolet. We shared a plate of local cheeses as an entree and had ice cream and single origin coffee to finish.

One of the best meals we've had in our month travelling in France!!!