“Good zoo to get close to the animals, lots of walking”

Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret
Book In Advance
More Info
$18.24*
and up
Montpellier City Card
Ranked #5 of 129 things to do in Montpellier
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We managed to navigate our way to the zoo this week and was impressed with the variety of the animals to see, some of the enclosures could have more grass for the animals to eat and less stones as part of their pastures, lots of walking but plenty of places to rest and picnic, reasonable price considering the size of the area and the number of exotic animals. Best to see the zoo in the Spring or Autumn, I can't imagine how hot it would be in the Summer. Easy to park and some great birds as you enter, I would go back again.

There are newer reviews for Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm not sure what the other reviewers are looking for... I have been staying in Montpellier every summer for a number of years, but this fall was the first time that I ventured out to the zoo (even though it isn't all that far away). I liked it enough that I went 3 times, twice paying for admission to the Amazonian rainforest exhibit.

Yes, there is a lot of walking, but that's not a negative! In the fall, the zoo was incredibly quiet and peaceful, even though it is located fairly close to some busy roads. The zoo itself has a fair number of animals for a zoo of its size. The nature preserve that is part of the complex allows for walking, running, etc.

As for the signs, I'll agree that this could be improved. It's not always easy to find exactly what you're looking for. However, I also found it to be great fun just to walk along and discover what was ahead and to try to navigate using the supplied directional signs.

Personally, I enjoyed the fact that the animals were in a somewhat naturalistic setting. I liked walking along and discovering an enclosure that housed one (or several) species and being able to just stand and observe for as long as I wanted. Giraffes, wolves, bears, otters, monkeys, rhinos, lions, numerous species of birds, and other animals too numerous to name. Lots of baby animals born in the spring and summer.

I found it delightful...

1  Thank 1drdebell
Reviewed January 23, 2013

rather an old-fashioned zoo - not the ideal - but for kids and parents looking for a green and refreshing spot, it's a good choice

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This zoo is free; perhaps they should charge admission and try to liven it up. Some of the animals were cool, but basically we went because it was a beautiful day to be outside. The signs are sorely lacking. The attached Botanical Garden, however, was worth its separate admission price. Beautiful specimens.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The good news is that it's free. The bad news is that it's more of a park than a zoo. You'll do a lot of walking and see very, very few animals. If you just want to spend a day outside walking around a nice park, it's great. If you really want to be at a zoo and see critters, it's not really that thrilling.