“Good, honest food and the warmest of welcomes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Didaskali - CLOSED

Didaskali
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Groningen
“Good, honest food and the warmest of welcomes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

A warm and friendly welcome is assured by the delightful host and hostess of Didaskali, a tiny lunch café down a Montpellier backstreet. This was a lunch stop on a train journey from Barcelona to Brussels and ideal as is only a ten minute walk from the station. The set menu was a cougette and basil soup followed by a warm courgette, goats cheese and pepper flan with salad. All homemade and delicious using local ingredients washed down with a glass of 'bière rouge'. The food was lovingly made on the spot, the perfectly dressed salad quite a picture. Well worth a visit, both for the good food but also for the lively effervescent banter by the hostess, with some more serious input coming from the host out of the kitchen. If the subject of opera comes up you might well be there all afternoon!

• Visited January 2014

• Greek first
Sèvres, Ile-de-France, France
“Fresh healthy food and wonderful people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I came into Montpellier tired and hungry from my train and Didaskali was my savior! I had a delicious corrosol lassi, and a very fresh and perfectly sized salad with a quiche. The salad actually had nuts and different veggies in it, which was really exciting to see after eating plain lettuce salads in other restaurants. I went here for lunch both days I was in Montpellier because the owner(s?) were so kind and willing to chat, plus the food was healthy, my body felt happy after eating there. I would definitely recommend this for lunch, it fills you up and it's in a little alley so it's very quiet. I wish there was a Didaskali in Paris! I would be a very loyal customer.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Claire B
Ottawa, Canada
“Fresh and fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch today based on Trip Advisors's rating and we were not disappointed. We both had salads, mine was Italian with proscuitto and melon. The vegetables tasted like they had been picked minutes ago, the dressing was light and tasty, the serving was generous and the owner was very charming, tolerating our mediocre French. We will definitely go back before we leave.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Donna E
Ottawa, Canada
“Truly excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a main course salad today with smoked trout and a glass of excellent rose.
The salad ingredients tasted like they has JUST been picked, wonderfully fresh and an excellent, light dressing that let the flavours shine through.
A little bit off the beaten track, but well worth the effort to find it. My friend and I are in Montpellier for a couple of weeks and will definitely be going back!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ottawatraveller55
York, United Kingdom
“Small healthy gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This seems to be owner managed, the lady said she has no staff. Therefore, the service is a bit slow. However, the food is great, using local ingredients in a thoughtful way with nice little touches. The drinks are good. We had our 3 year old with us and were given some free ate for her too which was a nice touch!

• Visited September 2013