“Good if you don´t have anywhere else to stay”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #63 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
“Good if you don´t have anywhere else to stay”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I came to this hostel because the Hihostels hostel that i booked was closed, this Hotel it´s good not so expensive 50 euros per night, the wifi it´s good, the rooms are very small but they are clean, the service it´s not so good the guy at the front desk its rude but he is not dangerous haha. It´s well situated near the central plaza and the downtown and the alley where the hotel is it´s a little creepy but not dangerous. There are good bars near the hostel a Mcdonalds and some other restaurants in the central plaza.

So it´s good but if you can stay in another place choose the other one.

P.D. You can hear all the noises in the other rooms.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the first floor they are not so noisy
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Liverpool
Reviewed May 4, 2014

First they tried to say we had book 4 rooms instead of 3 and tried to charge us more. Then after showing our confirmation they then replied with 'im doing you a favour saving you 30 euros' when in fact that was the exact same price we had been quoted. The service from the staff was absolutely shocking, the staff spoke to me and my friends like we we're dirt on the floor. Free left luggage was also supposed to be included on the day of departure as we we're leaving Montpellier late on in the evening. Instead after 'umming and arring' they decided to charge us 10 euros and we were told we could come back 20 minutes before our train left and not a minute before, 1 member of the group was leaving earlier than the rest and they would not allow her to collect her luggage.
This was a real shame as the rooms were actually pretty decent for the cost but the treatment from the staff was absolutely shocking.
If you are a group I would stay away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Montpellier hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Not too far from train station, and right at the edge of the main town area, so location is good. Room was like something from decades ago, with a dodgy electrical socket at head level of one of the beds (which we moved). Was clean enough, just felt very cheap and old. Good choice if you're on a budget, but there's a reason it's cheap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Arrived Saturday afternoon, left Monday afternoon
3 friends, all girls

First of all, the cons:
1) There is no elevator.
The stairs are narrow, winding and could be said to be a little steep. The stairs weren't a problem for myself and two friends as we were on the first floor (European first/US-Canadian second floor) and did not have a lot of luggage.

2) Lack of electrical sockets/outlets.
There were two places to plug in electronics; the fan was in one and the tv was in the other. As we three in our group had laptops & cell phones to charge it was a slight inconvenience but just traded off charging everything.

3) Not really a con, but an FYI - no air conditioning in the hotel. But this is very common in France, however although it's southern France, I found the area to be very breezy and our room was facing the alley which the main door is on so it was blocked from any direct sunlight/heat. There was a fan in our room to alleviate some of the warmth, but we didn't spend much of our days in the room. Also, Montpellier is much more air conditioned than other cities I've stayed in.

Pros:
1) Location - although we had no problem finding it, it could admittedly be a little difficult for North Americans not used to small alleyways that are viable streets and locations of businesses.
Other than that it was in the center and close to everything. We walked everywhere (except to the beach). Walking distances 3 minutes to Place de la Comedie, 5 minutes to the train station (Gare de la Roch) and 5 minutes to a large Carrefour (grocery store) 10 minutes walk to Place Royal du Peyrou

2) Free and good speed Wi-Fi
Exactly that

3) Management:
For you english speakers all but one guy spoke english and I dealt with four different people at the front desk. But you're in France so of course they're going to speak french. They were all very helpful, understanding and attentive.

4) Room size:
I was admittedly surprised by the size of this room as it's location in the city I assumed we would be on top of each - literally in bunk beds. Not the case we had 3 beds (one queen size and two twin beds). The beds were clearly old and I had to wiggle around to find a flat surface to sleep on most comfortably, but I paid for what I got in that sense.

5) Bathrooms & Toilets:
Both were clean, more spacious than expected, had appropriate trash bins and soap and body towels were provided.

6) Bang for Buck
Add in the short walk from the train station, short distance to Place de la Comedie, Carrefour, hundreds of restaurants, shops, monuments, gorgeous views. people watching places - it's amazing
For 3 (what could have been 4) of us sharing a space - the room was much larger than I expected being in a large popular French city.
The room was clean and most importantly so was the bathroom & toilet
I hear for 2-4 euros you can also get breakfast - we just got our morning foods at Carrefour and went out for the day. They have a computer in their lobby if need be. There is a tv in the room with cable (small but works fine)

If Im on a budget when I return to Montpellier I will surely be staying here again, just noting to request a second or first floor room. Besides, save your money and enjoy in the city at all the restaurants and shops nearby.

Room Tip: If you have a suitcase - 1st floor! If you are light, then don't worry. No elevator and plenty o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Claudia B
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Some cities I spend the money, some I don't. At 27 euros/nite, I was obviously saving money in Montpellier. The location is excellent (2 min from Comedie, <10 min from the train station). This hotel feels like a hostel to me where I've booked a solo room with shared bathroom. I dealt with two staff, one spoke English and the other did not. Both were friendly. My room was sufficient, tiny but with a single bed, fan, TV, wifi and sink. My bathroom and shower were on the same floor, I'm not sure if that is the case for everyone. My only surprise was that I had to pay at the beginning instead of checkout. If you are looking for no frills with good location, give it a try.

Room Tip: Book on the lowest floor possible with a shower. Ask for a fan.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Nimes
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The ordeal started at check in, being told that we would have to change rooms on the second night so we should not unpack.

There was a room and a bed, nothing else.

We asked for a quiet room as we had children and were put right above the entrance, where the staff chatted and smoked all night. I had to go down and ask them to,be quiet, which they did for ten mins before starting again.

There was no soap, shampoo, the shower was broken and the toilet was in what looked like a cupboard. I have stayed on many hotels and this was definitely the worst.

So,bad that I wanted to write this review to warn everyone else.

Go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PierreNimes
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The owner of the hotel treated us quite appallingly. As we had given our credit card number in booking, we had assumed we had paid. But when we saw the owner, he screamed at us telling us that we hadn't paid instead of explaining like a normal person. I was extremely alarmed by the situation and being yelled at. At this point I didn't even want to stay anymore nights there but could not book another place that quickly. I would not recommend and would never stay again

Stayed April 2013