Madame Vacances Residence Les Consuls de la Mer
Ranked #72 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Terrible”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Although the rooms are large, they were dirty and the bathroom was very uncomfortable. They tried to charge us for extra towels and toilet paper. We had breakfast included which was ok.
The only two good things are the friendly staff and that there is a tram station just outside.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valeria T
, Guest Relations Manager at Madame Vacances Residence Les Consuls de la Mer, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Sir,

I regret sincerely about the cleanliness of your flat which have not been as high as your expectations

I am surprised because we are very watchful, usually, concerning the housework and the services as the toilet paper or towers.
Sheets and towels are proposed, it is paying but not compulsory, and the toilet paper is free

I have contacted our residence in Montpellier in order to be more watchful

With my excuses,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 9, 2011

They are trying to portray themselves as an extended stay apartment, but in this case they should not be charging 3 star hotel prices. Especially since the rooms are extremely dirty. To me,, the dirtiest I have seen. And I say rooms, because two other colleagues and I each got separate rooms in this "hotel" and one was dirtier than the other. Dirty stained carpet, stained bed sheet, the curtains smelled like someone had urinated on them, and the most disgusting part was the toilet (see photo).

The breakfast provided for an additional 8 Euros was a rip off. We asked for extra towels (only two in the room) and they wanted to charge us 6 Euros each.

The only thing they got going for them is that the staff is nice and they are right next to the T1 line, which means you can get to Comedie (old town center) and the conference center pretty easily.

Montpellier is a beautiful and historic French city. I highly recommend it, but believe me, you do not want to stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank paym01

Travelers are raving about these Montpellier hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Did not bear any resemblance to the photographs on the web site. Carpets and curtains extremely dirty. Kitchen area poorly equipped. Staff pleasant. Would not recommend although the tram stop just outside the building is very convenient.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank arichmond2003
Spain
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I did a two week French course in Montpellier and, as the school had a link with this aparthotel, they offered me this as their most expensive option. I wanted to be independent and an air conditioned room with its own small kitchen and bathroom suited me.

I then read reviews about the tired appearance of the hotel rooms and the lack of cleanliness so I expressed my concern to the school. I was reassured that they supervised the accommodation and that they had never had any complaints.

My first impression on arrival was one of relief that the room seemed clean. However, I soon began to notice the dust, the grimy net curtains, a large stain on the carpet and a strange smell. At first, I thought this was cigarette smoke entering the room through the air conditioning, but on the third day when I opened a kitchen cupboard I hadn't used before, I realised it was coming from the rubbish bin. ( Until then, I had been using the bin in the bathroom.) When I looked inside, I found rubbish from the previous occupants, including a dirty baby's nappy! In addition, the bin was cracked and there was leakage into the cupboard.

I was disgusted and took the bin to reception. The manager was "unavailable" and I was told he spoke little English. I was given a replacement bottom half of a "new" bin (which didn't fit the top of the old one). No-one cleaned the cupboard so I bought some cleaning materials from a local supermarket and did it myself.

As my spoken French is not very good, I wrote a letter of complaint in French to the manager and I was eventually told by one of the receptionists that he was "sorry" and that he was offering me a free breakfast or jacuzzi as "compensation". I said that this was a derisory offer.

On Saturday at the end of seven days, I was supposed to receive new sheets and towels, but none appeared. When I asked for some at reception, I was told that Monday was "Clean Sheets Day" and that I would have to wait. There were no clean sheets available in the hotel, although the receptionist managed to find a couple of towels.

The reception staff were always very helpful and I felt bad that they were on the receiving end of my complaints. The manager made no attempt to meet me personally.

When I returned home I wrote a formal letter and was offered a 30% reduction on my next stay. As I am not a masochist the offer is meaningless!

If you decide to stay in this aparthotel, check the room carefully before you accept it. You never know what you may find!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank LindaMurcia
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The main residences of the Consuls de Mer are located in the modern part of Montpellier, approximately 7 min by tram (which stops right in front of the building when the line is not under construction) from the old city centre (Place de la Comédie). So in terms of location, it's just fine. Wifi connection is also provided but make sure you ask for the account name and code at the reception. The kitchenettes are pretty well-equipped (stove top, microwave, washing machine, mini-fridge, pots, pans utensils, etc.) but there are no cleaning products included so if you're going to stay here make sure you buy paper towel, detergent, sponges etc. (The reception offers a kit but I'm not sure how much it costs or if there is enough in each kit to last you a week). In terms of the other services and general appearance of the rooms/building - I would deem them mediocre given the price per night (studio - three bedroom - 89 - 209 euros. It is worth noting that this is a "self-catering" establishment, not a hotel; in other words there is no daily cleaning of the room or changing of sheets/towels and you have to dispose of the garbage yourself. However, sheets and towels should be changed by the cleaning staff every week. Unfortunately, during my 3 week stay, this was not done on a consistent basis and I had to alert the reception (which still did not make much of an impact - the sheets and towels were only changed once during my time there). As well, the card key (which showed signs of heavy use to begin with) stopped working after a few days and I had to replace it four times. The rooms themselves are not really soundproofed and the pipes make quite a bit noise when you or anybody else on the floors below or above uses the toilet, sink, or shower. The rooms are not the cleanest upon entering, especially in the bathroom and kitchenette areas. Furthermore, there are visible cracks and holes in the ceiling and on the floor which allows for easy passage of spiders and other creepy crawlies. The shower also has no curtain and is just a small space with a hand-held shower head which could result in a thorough soaking of the bathroom area if that thing slips out of your hand. There is also a pretty strong chemical smell that permeates throughout the hallway and in the room itself. So if you are really sensitive to odours it might be a good idea to stay away from this building. In terms of the reception staff, no real complaints -- just be aware that if you are coming in summer, there are many interns and a revolving staff during the day so get to know their names. The reception area is open 24/7 but in the late evening, you will need a code (given by reception upon your arrival) to get into the building. Also note that you will be charged approx. 1 euro per night in visitor taxes during your stay, and you will be asked for a 260 euro caution which will not be debited from your credit card unless you cause damage in the apartment. Just so you know, I stayed here because the language school I was studying at assigned this lodging so I was here at a very reduced rate. However, if it were up to me, I might have looked for something better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mitableaga
London
Reviewed August 26, 2009

No too pleased with the experience as:
*the hotel is extremely difficult to locate (directions given on the hotels.com website were not accurate)
*check in was meant to be from 9AM, and we were not allowed to get the keys to the room before 5PM
*258 Euros deposit was asked for each studio flat
*swimming pool is extremely small and 1,35m at the deepest
*some residents are long-term residents and a fight broke out in the middle of the night
*some of the bedrooms have a sofa bed that you must unfold/make yourself
*check out is at 10AM

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We spent two nights at this hotel and of all 6 hotels we stayed in during our trip in France, this was our least favorite. It was shabby - stains on carpet, on furniture, on bedding. There was a big water heater in the toilet room, which was way down the hall from the bedroom.

The neighborhood was iffy. It was ok with my husband, but into the evening I would have been uncomfortable alone or just me and my daughter. There was construction in teh area and lots of students, who thought nothing of yelling in the streets at 3:00 am. Not the best location for a family who wanted a good, clean, quiet nights sleep to get on with the sight seeing the next day.

The tram did stop right outside which was nice, and there was a pool but it was packed with college kids.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family