“Very intimate and pleasurable experience”
Review of Le Passionne - CLOSED

Le Passionne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Western Australia
“Very intimate and pleasurable experience”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We set out to find another restaurant that had great reviews in TripAdvisor but they were shut so we turned around and said, "that'll do".
We were not dissapointed.
Service was fast, freindly (and pretty). We got a little bowl of olives (free) to kick off while we waited then a little plate with tasters (free) then a lovely meal and again a couple of little free tasties before finishing.
My foie gras with blackberry sauce and lychees was astoundingly good, and I think possibly original, Halsdorf the owner and chef is pretty good at his craft.
We were enchanted by the depth of attention to detail they gave and will go back.

• Visited May 2013

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent restaurant and good value”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Recommended by the hotel. Very high quality food very well presented. I had the foie gras which was very good and the beef (cooked for 7 hours apparently) was so tender you could almost swallow it whole! My friends had the quail & hake (the only other choices) were also excellent. I have to say that a short menu well done is better that a long menu badly done! 5 of us had food & wine for about €50 a head which was very good value to me. Would highly recommend on that basis of my experience anyway.

• Visited April 2013
Calvi, France
“Le restaurant l'Olivier n'existe plus”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

... Or so said an article in a newspaper I found when I was verifying where to eat in Montpellier (in fact the article implied that that was its new name, which I did consider a trifle unlikely!)

Fortunately, having gone to this restaurant several times in its previous incarnation you could have led me blindfolded from the Place de la Comédie de 12, rue A. Ollivier. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

Two courses for 25 € or three for €30. They'd prefer you to decide before you start whether you want dessert or not, but even if you decline at that point, you will be offered it later.

To start with I had the foie gras, on a bed of lychees, with a red fruit coulis. Apart from the three grains of sea salt on the underneath piece of foie gras this was delicious. I thought when I started eating it that maybe there were too many flavours stuck together (a bit of a theme with this restaurant) but by the time I'd finished it I was won over.

For the main course I had a magret de canard, with puree of (parsnip? something of the sort anyway) boiled pak choi, peas, a sliver of carrot, a sundried tomato, and breaded mushroom cylinders. Again I was dubious about the mixture, but the flavours offset each other nicely. Minor quibbles: I prefer to be asked the cuisson of my duck, and this was overdone for my tastes, and the breadcrumbs round the mushroom sticks gave me horrible reminders of school dinners. These are, however, as I said, minor quibbles.

Maybe more Masterchef winner than Michelin 1 star, but it's certainly given me ideas I won't hesitate to use in my own dishes. And I shall return next time I'm in Montpellier.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank FractalAngel
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“tasty and not far from city-center”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Well-situated, small and home restaurant. Good french dishes. Take lemon desert - I've liked it a lot. Recommend you to visit.

• Visited September 2012
durham, england
“Slightly overpriced and very limited menu options”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I know this no longer has the Michelin star that it had under its previous name and ownership but the first time we tried to eat here it was fully booked at 7.30 so I had high hopes that if we tried again and booked it would be worth the effort. I was a bit disconcerted by the brevity of the menu that was on display in the window but hoped that the actual food would make up for this but it didn't really.
It was okay but nothing special and we ate better at several other establishments in the city centre at rather less cost.

• Visited September 2012