“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
Berlin, Germany
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel has a great name and tempted us to book this hotel, bright are also the pictures on the hotel website. But the hotel does not live up to our expectations. On booking.com it was mentioned that the hotel does not own any parking spots but can provide parking nearby. What was not mentioned was that the hotel can not even be reached by car since it is located at a pedestrian street that can not be accessed by car at all. We had to find parking ourself and carry our suit cases to the hotel. Arriving at the hotel we made the experience that only the facade was royal. The person working at the front desk was did not make any attempt to speak to us in English. Every question was answered in french. We had to show our booking confirmation so he could look up our names to check us in. Our room definitely needed an update urgently. It was decorated and furnished like a cheap brothel from a Hollywood movie but definitely not the place where a young couple want's to spend the night. After dinner we came back to the hotel, the reception was abandoned. We found the receptionist in the breakfast room watching TV where he felt bothered by us. I wanted to request another linen sheet and wooly blanket but he told us in French he does not speak any English. Too funny I heard him speaking English to other guests when we left the hotel for dinner. My girl friend came back with a translator and we were able to make our request but he still felt bothered. Next day the staff at the reception was much nicer but we've made our experience with this hotel and won't recommend it to any of our friends. You also should not leave your luggage in the storage room from the hotel, since there is self service and the staff does not really check which bag you are taking from there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTravelerNo1
royalhotelmtp, Responsable réception at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Sir Dear Madam,

We first thank you for your comments and we do apologize for the trouble you had with our night receptionist who doesn't speak a really good English. We are also sorry if you didn't like the room you stayed in.
Please note the historical city center of Montpellier is a walking area since 20 years now. All the hotels of this area have arrangement with nearby car parks. On Booking.com website you may read we have an arrangement with one of them. Parking Comédie is up the street at two minutes walk from the hotel. We do advise our customers to park straight there and then walk to the hotel. If you have a lot to carry you also can come in front of the hotel for a few minutes to drop your suitcases and then go to park your car. We also invite our customers who reserve on the Internet and who had no contact with us directly to give us a call for more information about how to get to the hotel.
After check out we do suggest to our customers to leave them luggage in our bagagerie if they need so. This is a safe room just in front of the desk and believe us nothing ever happened with clients getting the wrong bag or stealing anything.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

As other reviewers have said, the location is excellent and this is the main attraction of this hotel. The room was certainly larger than in other French hotels and ,apart from a couple of dated fixtures, perfectly comfortable and clean. The breakfast was adequate and at 8 euros very reasonable.
The staff were very obliging, particularly the young lady on reception .
I would recommend this hotel bearing in mind that you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Stayed in 106 which was very peaceful and provided a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I chose this hotel for its location and reasonable price. It was easy to find... just 2 blocks from the station on the main street leading to the large square. When I arrived at noon, my room was not ready. There was a very nice young lady working the reception desk and she let me put my bag in storage and then gave me a map and pointed out some sites on it to see. When I asked her to recommend cafes to eat lunch, she suggested a couple of smaller squares lined with cafes to try ( better prices and less busy than the Place de la Comedie cafes).
When I returned around 7pm, there was a man at the desk. He was somewhat surly and offputting even though I attempted to converse in French with him. He gave me my key but I had to ask him about when breakfast was and where, the wifi code etc.... he volunteered no info that would help make my stay easy.
At first, I found my room okay.. bed a bit firm but pillows were comfortable. Decor dated in room and bathroom... clean but clearly not updated for a long time.
Then... middle of the night ( 1 am)... disaster. I awoke to hearing water running. Thought I had left the tap dripping. Got up and turned on bathroom light. Water was running out of the ceiling light fixture. Turned off light. Got dressed and went down to front desk.Tried to explain to same grumpy guy at front desk that there was a pipe leaking in ceiling above my room or perhaps a bath overflowing? He was very unhelpful and grumbled how he was the only one on and what was he to do? Finally he went upstairs with me to see what I was describing. His solution was for me to have to switch rooms... he did not offer to assist moving luggage or anything at that time of night. Just unlocked another room and handed me a key. In the morning I asked the lady ( not the same friendly one I had had upon checkin) if there would be some adjustment to my bill since I had not been able to get back to sleep after having to move in the middle of the night. Her concession was to not charge me for breakfast ( a token gesture).
Note: as I walked to breakfast I discovered several wet spots on hallway carpet... obviously they were having major water issues at the hotel.
It is my opinion that the manager of the hotel ought to focus upon customer service training for some of his employees as the attitude of some might chase away potential customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank nutmeg06
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The water fountain and the individual design of each room are definetely the strong points of the hotel. Also, the welcoming reception staff and the large assortment of touristic brochures were a nice touch.

On the downside, the access is difficult by car and the room had a weird smell when we first entered. Also, the elevator is too small for 2 people with suitcases.

Room Tip: If you're not bothered by the noise, rooms with a street view are probably better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was Ok although it needs to be updated. Staff at the hotel was as rude and unpolite as the rest of the people in Montpellier. Our room was big and quiet as we asked for a quiet room but the street of the hotel can be noisy because of the tram and the people partying. It is almost imposible to park near the hotel; in reception they offer you a discount to park in Parking Le Comedie "only" for 26 euros (2 days).
I do not plan to come back to Montpellier as I found it disappointing, awful and insecure. But if I had to come here again I'd choose another area to stay more suitable for families and tourists.

• Stayed August 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked this hotel as part of a road trip. Its central location was excellent, just minutes walk from Place de la Comedie. Finding the hotel and parking can be a problem. We accidentally ended up parking under Place de la Comedie, which turned out to be the recommended car park for the hotel, as they offer a discount on the charges. On arrival the staff were helpful and friendly. The room offered more space than we had expected, but unfortunately it was very dated. The decor was tired and spacious could actually be better explained as just plain bare! The bathroom had just stepped straight out of the seventies and did not even have a shower. I also found a previous guests hair balls all over the toilet floor which was off putting to say the least. The air conditioning unit in the room was effective but very noisy, a definite down side in the summer! Overall we got what we paid for. A cheap hotel in a very good central location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is yet another typical French hotel, in a very old building, which has been renovated inside countless times. It does provide a little more space than average in the rooms. Front desk staff is courteous and helpful. There is an optional breakfast which we did not try. But the strong point about this hotel is its location, within steps of the train station and the Place de La Comedie, and literally in front of a tram stop.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family