“a great place to visit”
Review of Musee Fabre

and up
Segway Tour of the Old and New Montpellier
Ranked #4 of 111 things to do in Montpellier
Reviewed July 14, 2013

comprehensive art collection - through the centuries
you need time to see it all or choose the period you most like

Write a ReviewReviews (1,406)
All reviews
in 3 reviews
"nineteenth century"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The museum is set up in chronological order starting with the earliest pieces. You follow the proscribed route through time seeing how art changed over time. The museum has 52 (!) galleries. I was amazed at how large it is. It doesn't look that big from the street. The staff was very helpful. At one point one member started to speak to me in French, and when she realized I didn't understand took me to a bilingual staff member, who told me she was telling me that the museum went on through an opening at the end of a large gallery I was in. On another occasion, I asked the staff at the front desk about 4 closed galleries at the end of the museum, and the man went to pretty great lengths to a) understand what I was asking, and then b) without me prompting, made two phone calls to find out when the galleries would be re-opening. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was leaving the next morning, so unless it was later today, I was out of luck. But it was really nice of him to do all that for me. I was very impressed with the collection in the Fabre. I expected a small museum with a few interesting pieces, but it was a large collection with many interesting pieces.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The old masterpieces were good to look at, but the modern stuff further on didn't do it for me.The layout is that the pictures are very well spread out but feels that there shoud be more to "fill It up"

Reviewed June 24, 2013

To be honest this Art Gallery is so high on the list of 'Things To Do" in Montpellier that I was a little disappointed - as were the two others who came around with me. Perhaps I have been spoilt by the London and Paris art galleries.
It certainly is a VERY "varied and eclectic" collection of art but too much renaissance and pre-Impressionist artworks for me. The extensive range of Dutch artists on the whole didn't do it for me neither did the Fabre paintings themselves. The directional signs are not good and the floors levels don't necessarily follow, its a bit of a maze. Hence I missed out on the later gallery of Monet/Sisley/Degas etc - and had to go back in again!
Pleasant enough to pass 90 minutes in but IMHO not essential if you have more of Montpellier you need to see.