“Excellent Cooking”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rockville
“Excellent Cooking”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I must admit I probably would not have picked this restaurant, as the menu descriptions and pictures of the food are not that enticing. Fortunately for us, my wife's relative who is a local, took us here for dinner. La Claire Fontaine is clearly a restaurant focused on great cooking rather than marketing hype. Everything on the tapas plate (Serrano ham, anchovies, chorizo, cheese, olives,) was delicious and seemed to be very high quality. All of our entrees were excellent, Paella, Arroz Negro, and a broiled mussel dish. The local white wine was quite enjoyable and the Tourron Glace dessert sublime.

The location, only a block or so off the main drag, makes for a nice spot for a peaceful, unhurried meal. The chef/owner, a charming lady and veteran professional is still quite passionate about cooking. Excellent cooking and good value by Collioure standards. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Little Restaurant”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

First Impressions.
Restaurant Claire Fontaine is a delightful French eatery in the center of Collioure that also serves tasty Spanish Tapas. It is a cosy restaurant located in the narrow streets with a limited number of covers but a great ambience and comfortable seating.

The Food & Service.
The food here is very good, with a friendly helpful service to match. We started with a Palma ham with salad which was shared. This was followed by a delicious Lamb Stew and a Duck Breast served with seasonal vegetables. Both dishes were tasty and full of and cooked to perfection. The service was very good our waiter spoke limited English but he was very helpful in translation and efficient during a very busy evening.

Overall
We had a great night at this restaurant, the atmosphere was outstanding and the food and service was also very good. You can’t ask for more during the evening when you are served good food with a service to match and the atmosphere here was fantastic.

Service- 8/10
The Food- 7 /10
Value for Money - 7/10. The meal cost £50.00 for a carafe of wine and soft drinks.

Would I recommend ? – Yes Would I return ? – Yes

• Visited October 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Most exciting restaurant I have found in Collioure”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Email laclaire.fontaine66@gmail.com, 8 rue St. Vincent.

We went there on our 25th anniversary celebration, and were not disappointed.

Let's start with the fact that the owner/maître/chef, Patrick Fleau, is a great entertainer, and impossible not to like. Young and energetic, he is a main attraction at this small restaurant, which seats perhaps only 20 diners inside ( a few more outside ). As my lady said, "it fits into your elbow." By definition intimate, the seats are not so close as to be agoraphobic.

Patrick is so busy that he may need a reminder of what you requested. So far as I can tell, the staff is he and his sous-chef, plus a dishwasher.

Now the menu: we had magret du canard avec figues, one of the best magrets I have had, and I have enjoyed a lot of them. Absolutely no gristle. la Procope in Paris did not do so well. The duck came with potatoes, broccoli, and the promised figs and chutney, a perfect flavor match.

The wine selection is delicious. The restaurant, and Msr. Patrick, are among the best finds I have made in France outside Paris (equal to what I discovered in Quimper - see review). Hope you enjoy it, and say hi to Patrick!

• Visited October 2012