“Horrific, worst restaurant experience of my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Puits

Le Puits
Ranked #67 of 81 Restaurants in Collioure
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Horrific, worst restaurant experience of my life”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. We were lucky to get out in one piece.

Well, if I were to tell the whole story of our experience I would need much more space. In short, we went to Collioure for the day as we were staying in the Pyrenees. We wanted to find a good restaurant for lunch as we have a young baby and do not get to eat out very often.

The owner was rude from the beginning so God knows why we stayed. We were warned by the table next to us. I went to the toilet and there was a cockroach on the floor. The toilet was disgusting, there was what looked like a power lead coming from the sink overflow and the only facility to dry hands was a stained, sopping-wet and stinking towel.

You'd think that was bad enough...

We explained that I am allergic to dairy - not just intolerant, allergic. We had the assistance of a fluent french speaker to make sure the message was loud and clear. The owner said no problem. The starters came and were quite nice - anchovies on toast, but perfectly good anchovies. The mains came and alongside seafood there was pasta covered in a cream sauce. I asked the waitress if it is cream and she said yes. I said that I'm sorry I can't eat this, she took it away and said ok she'll change it. I was a bit baffled but happy that they were changing it. The SAME plate came back with the past scraped-off and chips on top. The seafood still had cream on it. I wasn't happy about paying that much for chips, let alone what is essentially poison to me! I said to the owner, I cannot eat this and that is when he flew off the handle.

The owner literally started shouting at me, another table near us turned and tried to explain to the manager (in perfect French, again) that I have an allergy and they heard us tell him before... He told them to 'F*'k off'. They were stunned. He turned round and started shouting at us to pay and leave. He wanted us to pay for the whole meal, including dessert! We got up to leave and he grabbed my husband and the buggy with my 5 month old baby. He tried to fight my husband and I pushed them away. I made my husband take the baby away told the owner I will pay for our 2 beers and the starters but nothing else. He grabbed a beer bottle and smashed it in front of me on the table!!!!! By now we had an audience of at least 50 standers-by. The situation escalated and to cut it short, we were urged to leave by the crowd and his staff pushed him back into the restaurant. We practically ran away with our son, feeling lucky to be in one piece. We were ready to call the police but our baby was beside himself and we just needed to get him home and fed. Wish we had but it would have meant hanging around a police station for the rest of the holiday no doubt,

What a complete maniac. DO NOT risk your health and sanity by going to this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013

London
“Fabulous service, food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can hardly believe the poor reviews this cracking little restaurant has received. Either those people had unrealistic expectations or the chef had an off night, as we found le puits to be a friendly cosy bistro with really good food and fantastic service.
The moules with saffron and basil sauce were amazing as was the entrecôte. Top marks.

• Visited August 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Friendly service, poor food”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The worst meal of a ten-day trip to France. After a decent starter, all the mains were dreadful: warmed -up pasta, ancient over-cooked and tasteless fish stew (we must have come on the wrong night) and average desserts. To cap it all the coffee was bad too....in France! Avoid.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Cosy little restaurant with a charm but the food was awful.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The staff were nice enough. The food on the other hand....well...the less said about it, the better. We started with the Salad de Puits, which was very oily and the cucumbers didn't taste very fresh. The cheese in the salad was very heavy and overpowering. Despite all that, the salad was just about acceptable. The mains on the other hand...
I had the Catalan cod, which first of all came in a dirty plate. The fish itself was well cooked and tasted fine but the tomato and peppers based sauce it comes with was very overpowering and left no taste of the fish at all. My girlfriend had the smoked salmon tagliatelle. She found the salmon in it too salty, while the pasta itself was kind of bland but really not tasty. The soft drinks we ordered were not cold. Because of all that, we didn't feel compelled to order deserts. The staff were polite and nice but then again, we didn't complain. The food quality should definitely be raised at this place, though the restaurant is situated in a very lively area, where it could survive on passing trade alone forever. A big disappointment for our final dinner in Collioure before going home.

• Visited August 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great set menus”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Fine location in the old part of the town. In addition to full menu, this restaurant offers a number of set menus - 3 course; 2 course and mussels! God variety and choices of starters mains and sweets on all menus. Creme de Catallan excellent.

• Visited July 2013