“The reviews are right!”
Review of L'Als'Assiette - CLOSED

L'Als'Assiette
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Petit restaurant proposant des specialites alsaciennes. Ferme le mardi et le mercredi.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was in Carcassonne as part of a vacation boating on the Canal du Midi. I read the reviews for this restaurant. They were bang on! We (a group of 8) had a wonderful meal. Everything we tried was delicious, and our hosts were friendly and helpful. I loved the tart alsacienne.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Tiny, home-like, localized menu but presented with great care and not a lot of flare.

The duck was superb. Probably the best ever, and remarkably UN-fatty. Great flavor with a plum sauce and a texture to rival good filet. Interestingly, the texture of the sliced plums mimicked that of the duck, which was particularly un-gamey

The magnificent escargot arrived sizzling in their little trays shortly after the owner and chef announced they were out catching them.

Decent sized portions, too.

The bread was fresh, but could have been warmed. Why not ASK the guests their preference?

Ordered a bottle of the local mineral water, and it arrived at the table at room temperature. The wife recognized the problem immediately and brought glasses of ice cubes to fit the American's preferences.

The service was quite rapid and attentive, rather unusual for this neck of the world.

Some interesting cheeses accompanied the denoument apricot tarte. That also would have benefited coming in warmed. It was the one thing that didn't seem made by the chef himself, but who knows.

The table wine by-the-glass seemed a tad rough around the edges, but this was designed to represent what one would get in the unpretentious Arlesian region, not some pharncy bistro in Paris.

Over-all a VERY decent value. 36E for a very memorable experience including the wine.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Visited here during a weekend trip. In fact we went two nights! Ate snails, fois gras, cassoulet and duck with plum on the first night, all really nice. Second time we both returned for cassoulet, again delicious. Owner and his wife were both very nice, Patrick has excellent english and chatted away to us, made us feel very welcome. I've read on here that his wife didn't make an effort with customers, I would put that down to her not speaking a lot of english. She was certainly polite and friendly towards us, and with my french being non existent I didn't say much to her, so we were quits, but a smile goes a long way! Would return if I visit Carcassonne again.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Found this restaurant by chance as we walked through Carcasonne, and noticed it had TripAdvisor notice in window, so quickly read some reviews and decided to give it a try. Surprised to find no other customers but the owner was extremely friendly and took time to explain some of the Alsace dishes. He also produced a book of Alsace recipes which we found interesting while waiting for your food and enjoying some local beers and wine, Enjoyed my first exposure to Alsation cuisine - very tasty and flavoursome.

Overall we enjoyed the hospitality and the food to the extent that we made a reservation with the owner for the following Sunday night & I mentioned that I was looking forward to trying another dish from Alsace (flammenkuche - I think). With many other restaurants being closed on Sundays, my wife and I were really looking forward to another chance to experience good food and wine after a long and very hot day cycling along the Canal du Midi. Things did not look good when we arrived about 30 minutes early to find the restaurant closed, but thought we were too early so wne tot a local bar for a drink, before returning at 7.30pm. Again it was closed, and after a few minutes I made a telephone call to enquire about our reservation. After some time the phone was answered, and I was rather abruptly told, by the owner, that the restaurant was closed. Even when I tried to mention our reservation, I was simply told that it was closed and the call was terminated. Needless to say we were both anger and disappointed at have been let down and then had to find an alternative restaurant in the 'old' town.

I have based my ratings on the service we initially received, and would use it again IF and only if, I could be sure that my reservation would be honoured and we would not find the place unexpectedly closed!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were the only ones in the restaurant the night we visited. The interior is very kitsch and the owner is very affable. He was the only person we saw when we were there and I suspect he was doing the cooking as well. The food was tasty and hearty. I believe the restaurant may be open on a Sunday evening when a lot of other places are closed.