I would have given this hotel a rating of four were it not for the morning staff who I had the misfortune of encountering today.
I arrived, heavy rucksack in tow and hoping for a reasonably pain and hassle free experience and this proved not to be the case.
The hotel was booked in a hurry last night (directly via the hotel's website rather than through a third party site - Incidentally, the prices were the same) and duly received an email confirming my reservation and booking reference.
When I arrived at the hotel (at 11:45am) the two men at the reception desk seemed to be "put out" when I asked if they had received my reservation. I did not have the booking reference to hand, but was prepared to take out my laptop to search through my emails to find the same. They seemed to find that rather annoying as well.
It was simply a very bizarre checking in experience for want of a better word. They spent time talking amongst themselves and ignored the fact that I was standing there waiting for some indication that they were aware of my booking. When I tried to ask them if they had located it (following a further 15 minute wait in silence), I was hushed, as if I was asking something forbidden. Very odd indeed.
Finally when they decided that it was time to deal with me, I was told they had found the booking. I explained that I preferred not to pay by credit card but with cash. That seemed to further annoy them. Finally after paying, I requested both a receipt for the payment (after all when they had left for the day, I did not want the morning staff requesting payment again) and also the code for the wi-fi they have (which is free). Yet again, my requests seemed to further annoy them.
I have to say, the entire booking in experience had a semblance of them making me feel as if they were doing me a favour by taking my money and allowing me to stay there. This given the fact that there are hotels scattered up and down the same road where this one is based.
That aside, the hotel does have a few advantages:
1) It is based approximately 300 metres away from the walled city, castle, etc. So the proximity is a plus
2) The double room which I had booked was clean, modern and well appointed with tv (not sure if there were any English channels), bathroom toiletries and wi-fi
The only disadvantages I could see where that:
1) There was only a shower in the bathroom and no bath (although there may very well be rooms available with both)
2) The room although pleasant for a double, would, I suspect be a little cramped for two people.
3) There is no restaurant within the hotel (although Breakfast is available here at a cost of 8 euros) - There is a breakfast room on the first floor. I suspect that the reason that this hotel has two stars rather than three is simply because it does not have a restaurant. The bedroom itself was certainly a conservative 3.5 stars
It's simply a shame that the hotel, from my perspective, was let down by the rudeness of the morning staff. One consolation was that they were gone by 3pm and the replacement receptionist was entirely different and far more accommodating.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Espace Cite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Espace Cite Hotel Carcassonne
- Inter Hotel Espace Cite
- Inter Hotel Carcassonne