“Nice hotel but staff need a lesson in manners methinks”
Review of Hotel Espace Cite

Hotel Espace Cite
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I would have given this hotel a rating of four were it not for the morning staff who I had the misfortune of encountering today.
I arrived, heavy rucksack in tow and hoping for a reasonably pain and hassle free experience and this proved not to be the case.
The hotel was booked in a hurry last night (directly via the hotel's website rather than through a third party site - Incidentally, the prices were the same) and duly received an email confirming my reservation and booking reference.
When I arrived at the hotel (at 11:45am) the two men at the reception desk seemed to be "put out" when I asked if they had received my reservation. I did not have the booking reference to hand, but was prepared to take out my laptop to search through my emails to find the same. They seemed to find that rather annoying as well.
It was simply a very bizarre checking in experience for want of a better word. They spent time talking amongst themselves and ignored the fact that I was standing there waiting for some indication that they were aware of my booking. When I tried to ask them if they had located it (following a further 15 minute wait in silence), I was hushed, as if I was asking something forbidden. Very odd indeed.
Finally when they decided that it was time to deal with me, I was told they had found the booking. I explained that I preferred not to pay by credit card but with cash. That seemed to further annoy them. Finally after paying, I requested both a receipt for the payment (after all when they had left for the day, I did not want the morning staff requesting payment again) and also the code for the wi-fi they have (which is free). Yet again, my requests seemed to further annoy them.

I have to say, the entire booking in experience had a semblance of them making me feel as if they were doing me a favour by taking my money and allowing me to stay there. This given the fact that there are hotels scattered up and down the same road where this one is based.

That aside, the hotel does have a few advantages:
1) It is based approximately 300 metres away from the walled city, castle, etc. So the proximity is a plus
2) The double room which I had booked was clean, modern and well appointed with tv (not sure if there were any English channels), bathroom toiletries and wi-fi

The only disadvantages I could see where that:
1) There was only a shower in the bathroom and no bath (although there may very well be rooms available with both)
2) The room although pleasant for a double, would, I suspect be a little cramped for two people.
3) There is no restaurant within the hotel (although Breakfast is available here at a cost of 8 euros) - There is a breakfast room on the first floor. I suspect that the reason that this hotel has two stars rather than three is simply because it does not have a restaurant. The bedroom itself was certainly a conservative 3.5 stars

It's simply a shame that the hotel, from my perspective, was let down by the rudeness of the morning staff. One consolation was that they were gone by 3pm and the replacement receptionist was entirely different and far more accommodating.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a good view and was given a room with a view of the side pavement - You can...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank goddesshekate

Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here for only one night during a 3 week trip of SW France, as I wanted to see Carcassonne and could only fit in a day trip in our itinerary. The room was newly remodeled, and as functional as could be for such a small space. The bed was flanked by one small cabinet/shelving units on my side and a similar unit with a tiny desk on the other. My suitcase just fit on the floor between the bed and the wall and my hubby put his under the desk when not in use. The bathroom was similarly proportioned. We tend not to spend much time in hotel rooms when traveling, so this worked for us - but there would have been not much space for relaxation if we had wished to hang out there. Our window overlooked the side driveway/parking area, and it was extremely quiet. We had some difficulty with the door lock and had a spirited discussion with the gregarious front desk man about whether the problem was with the lock or our understanding of how to do it properly (how many ways are there to lock a door??).

It was only a short walk up to the medieval city or down into the new town. We hiked down to the bridge at night to take pictures of the lighted city, and felt quite safe. We had breakfast at the hotel (unremarkable).

All in all, it was a decent room in a hotel with a good location. If you need more space, the rooms here won't work for you!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TracyTraveler
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed in Carcassonne as a stop over driving from Lyon to Biarritz, for just one night. As such we just wanted reasonably priced accommodation close to the castle with parking. The Espace fit the bill, though is definitely more like a good motel than a hotel. Rooms are small but clean and the toilet is virtually part of the shower. All in all, one night in Carcasonne ( not sure why the French rave about it) and the Espace hotel is all you
need.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We loved staying so close to the castle and being able to see it from the breakfast room. The rooms are very small but new and clean. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and smell freshly baked croissants. Great French breakfast. Definitely would stay here on our next visit. The let down was the lack of English speaking staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fruity_kiwi
Reviewed June 30, 2011

For the price we paid at this hotel, it was fantastic. Our room overlooked the old city, and at night the fortress lights looked gorgeous from our window (not that we spent any time in the room aside from sleeping).

The room was very clean, and very neat. The beds were the most comfortable of our travels thus far, and the location was quiet, so needless to say we had an amazing sleep (which can be rare in France!)

The bathroom facilities were excellent. Again, sparkling clean and the shower was very hot with good water pressure.

Another bonus was the friendly staff who were only to happy to try and interpret our terrible attempt at French. If you cannot speak any French, all of the staff we encountered spoke decent English and were very happy.

It is only a 2 minute walk (yes, only 2 minutes!) to the old city, and there are countless restaurants inside with amazing local food.

Definitely a hotel to stay in for the traveller on a budget, but looking for a clean place and a comfortable bed.

The only downside was the tiny driveway and limited free parking space. We were lucky enough to get a free space, but I recommend arriving as close to the check in time as possible, because the earlier you arrive, the easier it is to park in the crampy spaces and hey, free car park. Just be careful when arriving and leaving, the driveway is only wide enough for one car at a time, so go slow.

The free wifi here is at an excellent speed as well for anyone who wants to get in touch with home. The best Internet connection we have had so far. Maybe the first skype conversation which didn't cut out once!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank amieekid
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My wife and I spent two pleasant nights in the Espace Cite last summer. The best feature of the hotel was it's proximity to the walled city of Carcassonne. It was less than a five minute walk to the front gates, which was especially nice when we wanted to explore the city at night (i.e., we felt quite comfortable walking to/from the hotel in the dark). The room was nothing special -- small, but adequate. The bed felt old, but we slept well, and we also had a view of the city from the small window in the room, which was really wonderful at night.

The front desk staff were friendly, even though the gentleman working the night shift didn't speak English. We showed him a print out of our emailed reservation confirmation, he gave us our key and told us to come back to the desk in the morning. We lucked out and got a free spot in the parking lot out front when we checked in, and then didn't move the car until we checked out.

The breakfast in the hotel was good, although the selection was fairly limited. But really, I can get by on French pastries any day!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Clean, modern hotel with friendly staff.

Rooms cleaned and bedding/ towels changed daily. Some people have mentioned in their review that the wet room bathroom is off-putting but we thought this was a clever, very modern use of space with modern fixtures and fittings.

Breakfast is extra, at 8 euros per head, it is continental and everything was fresh and very tasty, also well replenished. The breakfast room has a superb view of the medieval city.

On that note, the hotel is approx 250 metres (uphill) walk from the famous medieval city.

If you fly in to carcassonne airport catch the 'agglo bus' right outside the airport and tell the driver the name of the hotel, he will tell you where to get off, and the bus then picks up right opposite the medieval city for the return journey only 5 euros!

For the price (around 75 euros per night) this hotel matched the rest of the local offerings in that price range!

A very enjoyable stay