“Not recommended”

Ranked #245 of 346 Restaurants in Carcassonne
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were staying closeby and when it started to rain heavily, we looked for somwehere at hand for a meal. There is a square in La Cite with several restaurants all with umbrellas and outside seating, and seemingly with little to choose between them. La Girouette looked to be a safe bet from the outside. It was only when we were settled upstairs having ordered our meal that we looked around. The staff were all young and although friendly enough, showed litte interest in their job or their customers. When the meal came it was edible but we were dismayed to be charged 4 euros 80 for a half litre of bottled water. This is the most I have been charged anywhere. In summary, the restaurant decor was as 'tacky' as the food and I would not recommend it. There are much nicer places to eat in nearby lanes.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Good crepes and wine for lunch. The portions of moules served to other customers appeared generous. Might be worth trying for a cheap dinner.

1  Thank IanAberdeen
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Without looking to far around the square we went into this restaurant concerned that the restaurants would close at 2pm. (In fact they serve all day, even the Sunday).

We were seated upstairs right by the toilet (there was only one). So I had to endure a view on the toilet door with every single customer doing the same routine of trying to open the door and then slamming it shut each time they managed to get in. Horrible.
They tried to take our order immediately, I was not ready so they didn't come back for about 20 minutes, the waiter didn't even take our drinks order while we waited. Visibly he was busy with the desserts and coffees so we gave him the benefit of the doubt. He finally took our order of crepe - Oeuf, Jambon, Fromage and the menu du jour for Greg. Almost an hour since we had been in the restaurant we finally got our tap water and the waiter got my order wrong, so I asked to send it back but he had the cheek to say it was my fault as I didn't specify that I did not want crème fraiche.
Before they came up with a new crepe for me, Greg was already on his plat principal of cassoulet. The crepe was fine, a bit chewy on the edges - not worth the 8.50 euros.
Greg's cheese came, a small slice of Brie and a slice of emmental, sprinkled with some burnt almonds and dried herbs. The waitress obviously wanted us to leave as she almost threw it on the table.

Of course, no tip, and we didn't wait for them to take the money. The service I give 0 out of 10, it really ruined the visit to this restaurant.

1  Thank FionaMDevon
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is in the square alongside many others - we chose it because Last night a live jazz band were playing right next to it. The location and atmosphere is great!

Unfortunately everything else was pretty ropey! My salad had cucumber in that was so old it was turning red... The moules felt like they had seen a microwave as the sauce was congealed inside the shells... Service was very slow - had to prompt for every thing - several times!

This morning I have stomach ache... Hmmmm....

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had dinner here, food was good, my cassoulet was better than average. The rest was just OK. Service was not so good, not well paced at all.