“Best restaurant experience of our trip”
Review of Auberge des Lices

Auberge des Lices
Ranked #11 of 344 Restaurants in Carcassonne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Though Le Cite is very commercial..locals appear to be the main people eating at this restaurant..wonderful local fare..not expensive..good wines by the glass. As a solo traveller they were very accomodating and helpful
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Located within the walls of the old city, this realy is a little gem. We had the 40 € menu, which was actualy realy good value for money, considering it was comprised of 6 courses. The quality of the food was excellent, unlike many of the touristy places we tried during our trip through the south of France. So good in fact, that we immediately made a reservation for the following night.

On the second night we tried the 20 € menu (3 courses), which was also very tasty. The quality was amazing considering the price, just like the night before.

On both nights, the staff was very friendly.

If you're near Carcassonne and looking for somewhere to have dinner, this is a must visit. Just not when we are around, because I would like to return here if we're in the area!

There are newer reviews for Auberge des Lices

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were in France for 8 nights, and ended up eating in a different place every night, except for the last night when we chose to eat in Auberges des Lices for the second time.

The food was excellent, in particular the suckling pig that I had, there was a long reasonably-priced wine list, and we found the staff helpful.

However, there was far too little choice on the set menus & we ate a la carte for both nights, although we didn't have starters. It's in a courtyard & the smoke tended to drift over on the first night, but we ate inside on the second night because i was a little cold, and that was perfect.

1  Thank Dev_IanT2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

With the exception of one other couple my wife and I were the only customers but that didn't worry us as the food was very good - the cassoulet was especially noteworthy. Good and reasonably priced wine list. The waiter was very pleasant and the absence of a common language (my poor French being matched by his limited English) didn't present too much of an obstacle!

1  Thank Probus
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This restaurant suffers from the same indifference that a lot of the restaurant in La Cite do, the staff figure :they're tourists ,they won't be back, so who cares!

The Service: was irritating, having told the waiter I didn't eat meant they brought out a meat based Amuse Bouche, we had to ask 3 times for water, they brought the wrong cutlery for the lamb & cheese courses, the brought the wrong dessert and when I explained we hadn't ordered it he said we had and dumped it on the table in front of us, took ages to get the bill and we couldn't wait to leave.

The Food: I had the €28 menu three courses, my husband had the €39 menu 5 courses. It Was ok, it wasn't awful just wasn't particularily interesting or tasty , fish was very over cooked and especially tasteless vegetables were mushy and unattractively presented.

The Wine was lovely but thats becausea ll they had to do was open it!

Price was 95 with two half bottles of nice wine.

I shall never return

2  Thank keltchick
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We got an recommendation from a local to this hidden gem! It is hidden in narrow and not so interesting street not far away from tourist trap restaurant. This is really nice, decent and excellent quality food restaurant. In my view they offer modern cuisine based on local fresh ingredients. We were such amazed!

We ordered basic 3 courses menu for 19.50€ and it is really fair price for what you get!

One minor drawback is that the waiter had quite poor English, but it was more fun and mystery with that.

Highly recommended, this is true restaurant visited by locals, not "tourist trap"...

1  Thank loobo