“Pretty and peaceful”

Ranked #8 of 53 Carcassonne B&B and Inns
London
“Pretty and peaceful”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After searching countless hotels in la cite and la ville basse I chose Au Domisiladore because I wanted a boutique hotel with a more personalised experience and it didn't disappoint. It is in a convenient location within easy reach of the airport and just a minute from the shuttle bus stop. The owner, Joel, is cheery and helpful, taking time to explain where everything is and how it works as well as suggestions of nearby restaurants both in the town and la cite, which is a pleasant 20 min walk away. Considering the hoards of tourists I was thankful I had chosen to stay outside la cite as you can appreciate it more and also enjoy the view from outside marvelling at the fortress as you approach by the pedestrian bridge. The hotel itself has a lovely garden which enjoys the full sun and can get a little too hot during the daytime but is lovely and peaceful to enjoy an aperitif or digestif in the evening. The bed was comfortable, the room had modern decor which contrasted nicely with the traditional building, the bathroom was a good size with a decent shower. I opted to take breakfast both mornings which was continental style with tea, coffee, breads, croissants, cheese, ham, jams, yoghurt, muesli etc. Light but satisfying. I had a fantastic stay there, am thoroughly glad I made the right choice and wouldn't hesitate to return. It felt like a home away from home and I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank froglin81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed in this cozy B&B for 2 weeks while I was studying French in Carcassonne. The house is located at the quiet peripheral of the city while it is 5 min walk to the commercial centre and less than 20 min walk to the medieval fortress. The room was spacious and equipped with a comfortable bed and clean bathroom. The owner is very hospitable and helpful. He is willing to talk with his guests, in French, Spanish and English, giving me an ideal environment to practice French. On a weekend, he invited us to tasting of a local sparkling wine and treated us with nicely prepared foie gras. He suggested me an excursion along the Canal du Midi and lent me his bicycle. The breakfast is simple, but with a variety of delicious homemade jams and unlimited refill of coffee. I would highly recommend this B&B to everyone, in particular those who are looking for at-home atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kei Y
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a lovely B&B where the owner, Joel, is as happy and friendly as can be - to the point where he posted a garment we had left back to us in the UK.
The place is clean and roomy with a lovely breakfast and breakfast room and facilities to make hot drinks and heat your own food if desired.
A five minute walk to the centre of town and about 20 minutes to the medieval fortress and city, which is spectacular.
We also enjoyed a trip on the Canal du Midi.
Great value for money and we are happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: The Jazz room has great views to the old city.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DunnP322
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights but we wished we could have extended our stay! Our room looking out onto the street was very spacious and the decor was beautiful. Our bed was super comfortable and the room was perfect and spotless.

Joel, the owner, is very friendly, accommodating and gave us a very warm welcome. He gave us a map and showed us all the main places to visit as well as some restaurant recommendations. The B&B has a large lounge area, kitchen and lovely outdoor sitting area along with speedy free wi-fi. And not to mention the breakfast served in the cutest little greenhouse which was absolutely amazing! This is one of the best B&B's I have stayed at and I would highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren C
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at Au Domisiladore the first week of July this Year. We stayed there for four nights, we truely enjoyed our stay. The room was exactly as per the photo's on the website. The room was very comfortable, spacious & elgantly decorated. The owner Joel is a wonderful, charming & extremely helpful host. He really made us feel at home.
We would highly recommend this guesthouse as a place to stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed in Au Domisiladore early May this year, and we were blown away by how amazing this B&B was. We had been travelling through France before this, and the hotels/B&Bs we stayed in before this were quaint and livable (quaint is really just another word for small).

So when we moved into the room for 4 persons, we fell in love almost immediately. The room was spacious, the toilet was larger than some of our previous rooms and the furnishings made us feel instantly at home. The beds were comfortable, the carpets were so soft I could sleep on it, and the decor was simplicity at its best. White curtains, silver chairs and on a whole a very restful colour palette.

The owner Joel was also fantastic (like what other reviewers mentioned). He gave plenty of tips, recommendations and directions and served a wonderful breakfast (ham, cheese, eggs, jam) every morning. We felt truly taken care of.

My travelling companion summed it up the best, "I don't want to leave this place!"

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms not facing the road but facing into the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank onlycatschrys
Colchester
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Lovely room, beautifully decorated. Kitchenette available for guests' use. Twenty minute walk to medieval city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple