“Outstanding taste, friendly service”

L'Oustau Camarguais
Ranked #31 of 129 Restaurants in Aigues-Mortes
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In provençal "Oustau" means house.In a warm welcoming atmosphere we propose you a homemade cuisine from the marketEnjoy your meal !
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Our family was the first time in Aigues-Mortes and decided on visiting this Restaurant because oft its nice ambiance and interesting menu. There were many local dishes we did not know - so we just chose whatever took our fancy. We were not disappointed. Taste, presentation, and service left nothing to wish for. Strong recommendation!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed June 6, 2018

OK, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But one of the treats of eating there is that the Madame is so undeniably enchanting, along with the rustic inside and the nicely covered terrace. She coddled us, pushed at us, laughed with us, and generally made us feel that we were her best guests ever. She took me to the wine fridge and asked me about our tastes, then talked me through the large selection of roses. Dinner matched the atmosphere. It's food with a camarguais twist. All told, it was one of the best meals we had on a two week trip through Provence

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Highly recommended ! Everything is fresh, the flavor combinations are original and successful, the sauces wonderfully complex. Even the vinaigrette on the salad is special, the taste lightened with a touch of sesame oil. We had the saint pierre, served with an excellent citronny curry sauce and the tournedos de toro - equally delicious.
We finished with a goat cheese drenched in the most delicious thyme-infused olive oil. I refused the honey which normally goes with this dish due to blood sugar issues, and the Patronne was extremely accommodating for that and any other substitutions we asked for. It’s a 2 minute walk from the main plaza. Don’t miss this place !

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed May 1, 2017

Wandering grumpily around the town, having missed the apparently obligatory 3pm lunchtime curfew, we came upon this vine-covered place on a side-street.
It was this, the Indian, or nothing, so with no expectations we took a seat.
Now, to be frank, we struck lucky with the service, because an extremely nice bloke was on hand immediately, and eager to help; it turned out he's the son of the owner, and a chef in his own right, but helping out the family over Easter. (If I could remember his name I'd give him a plug!)
The waitress who helped out was movie-star gorgeous and super friendly. Her dad owns a shop 100 metres away!
The first promising sign was that it's a short menu. The second being the fact that the 'usual' camargue dishes hardly featured.
Cutting to the chase, the food was brilliant and creative (mussels with seaweed was a revelation!).
Reading the other reviews I have a certain sympathy, because the second visit we were served by the daughter of the house, who really should demand a refund from her charm-school. Mum is a Miriam Margolies lookalike, and I imagine, a toughie.
But the star of the show is Papa. A simply lovely bloke, and totally committed to his calling. Shy and diffident by nature, but full of charm when warmed-up. He's the image of his equally charming but well-traveled aforementioned son!
This place is 'real', and not a tourist trap. That and papa's cooking make it special.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed August 16, 2015

from the restaurants I have eaten in at Aigurs Mortes it's among the pricer but the food usually justifies this. I have been to the town many times and in 2014 ate there half a dozen times served by the delightful student Claire who my children still talk about. At the start of our 2015 adventure we went there early in the first week. The fish was exquisite and the children's food (despite an incorrect order) was lovely.

You sense a but?

My Toro fillet was rotten and when I told the waiter, the owner, (artfully described by another reviewer on the site) refused to accept this fact (despite an uneaten 28 euro steak) and was very off hand in her response. Her defence was that my English pallet didn't care for the taste of toro. This not the case and (happily I expect for her) I have been hardening my arteries on bull steaks throughout the visit. Shame!

Date of visit: August 2015