“A bit disappointed”

Ranked #33 of 438 Restaurants in Versailles
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I had the gigot and it was not worth the excitement of calling it their specialty. It wasnt horrible, but the anticipation exceeded what actually came on my plate. Green beans were mushy, but that's maybe how green beans are cooked in Paris

Service was great and prompt though

Definitely not a touristy spot as it seemed a lot of French speakers were in the restaurant. Always a good sign

Reviewed January 9, 2012

This restaurant no doubt has charm. It is nicely located at the corner of a pedestrian street leading to the King's Vegetable garden and the Cathedral. You can't help but love the brasserie feel to it. What was on our plates was disappointing though. Beef tartar isn't something very complicated to serve but it wasn't top notch beef, as for my duck, let's say it had seen better days. Service was okay, there was a mixup with the bill/check that was taken care of promptly. Not sure I would go again.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Excellent service with a good sense of humour, fast but not more than you need or want. Very good traditional French food, in between regional cuisine and parisian brasserie. Would go back without hesitating. Not a bargain, but prices justified by quality, service and atmosphere. Had the "famous leg of lamb", will try something else next although it was very good it wasn't as good as my mum's or my granma's new year's day or Easter Sunday's leg of lamb!

Reviewed July 7, 2011

After several long and hot hours at the Chateau, two of us staggered down to the village for a late lunch and came upon this restaurant. We both had the gigot (excellent), one with the gratin dauphinois and the other with the haricots verts; both again were excellent. The service was charming and faultless. There was a lovely breeze on the patio, and after a couple of glasses of chilled Gamay we were ready once again to tackle the Chateau. One of our best brasserie meals the week we were in France.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stopped in a boutique off the main streets after visiting the Chateau. The owner spoke no english and my french is pitiful but we conversed about kids. After my daughter bought a blouse I asked him where he'd go for dinner. A voice popped up from the dressing room- An english speaking customer! The proprietor and the customer discussed the various options- in French turning to us and asking what was our price range and our likes. Their joint conclusion Le Limousin.."if you like sheep." My father-in-law used to make leg of lamb... this isn't what Le Limouisn produces. We got there early (7) and were shown to a table in the back (I thought 'oh, great; the American Closet"...not the case) Service was fast French when needed and slow French when wanted. The salmon my wife ordered was large and done...the Mutton? Oh the Mutton! The sides are served in the middle of the 4 thick, tender slices of "Sheep". Legs are brought out to the middle of the restaurant as needed and placed into a chaiffing smoker steamer. When an order is placed the owner plucks one out, sharpens his knife and lops off the portion. It's dressed, sided and delivered. As we were there the place filled up. 90+% locals. Our American Closet only had one set of Americans in it... The Oeuff al neige (Ok my french spelling is pitiful as well) Eggs in snow was a perfect blend of a firm foam on enough vanilla cream to keep every bite sweet and moist. (think soft but firm meringue on top of melted vanilla ice cream. It was a good meal. With the prices in Paris running 50 E for a simple lunch this was a bargain. Yes food is cheaper elsewhere. There are at least 8 restaurants on that one block long street, everything from Pizza to Chinese.
But "If you like sheep?" There is only Le Limousin.

1  Thank PeterLenagh