“A surprising warm welcome from a Paris Hotel”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Ideally located very close to the entrance gates to the palace, this hotel oozes warmth and hospitality, a charm often in short supply in Paris hospitality.
Rooms were spacious and well appointed although lacked tea making facilities. Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean.
Breakfast a little pre packaged but lovely fresh bread.
Restaurant next door was great for lunch or dinner
All credit must go to Fred for her friendly customer service skills - she made all the difference to our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bevfid

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Fantastic! This beautiful hotel was more than a pleasant surprise.

I planned my trip on the fly with no reservations. I stayed at three different star rating hotels in Versailles to sample. This was the mid-level hotel. The price is unbeatable for the quality. Make sure your rate includes breakfast... I think they all do at this hotel. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit. Read on if you wish for more detail...

It's a historical hotel with warm and playful French style. The rooms are quaintly decorated, quite large, very quiet.... and dark at night which I loved! It's very clean and well maintained. My room had an en-suite shower however there is no shower door. I've seen this in many European and Canadian hotels, but have yet to see this in the States. I was just careful to point the shower head toward the wall... no big deal, just different. If you have children, this can be an adventure or you may want to request a room with a bath.

The location is perfect with the Palace in easy walking distance. It's actually closer to the Royal Opera House than the Waldorf Trianon.

I love the staff! My favorite discovery about Versailles is the people are more French country... very laid back. I felt very welcomed. I didn't have a reservation, but they accomodated me easily even when I needed to change rooms. I needed a 5:00AM wakeup call and the concierge at this hotel said, "You want to wake up at what time?" He truly thought I was joking. I laughed... they expect you to be relaxing and sleeping in. I think he had to wake up a taxi driver to pick me up....lol. Don't look for breakfast or bakeries to be open at 6AM.

Location is perfect...close to the Palace, Opera House, great restaurants and the really good shopping :)).

One more thing, the night staff doesn't communicate well in English so you'll want to refresh your French language lessons.

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: My room was 212. It was very far away from the elevator and toward the back of the hotel and dark...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TracyMoAdventures
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked a night in this hotel as a stopover on our way back home after a driving holiday in Europe. It was an absolute delight as the 2 rooms we booked were ornately decorated in the style of the palace. The children thought it was fantastic. A comfortable night's sleep and great bathroom. Perhaps not the finest breakfast ever, but as it was a stone's throw from the palace gate we were able to beat the queues for entry into Versailles. Best bit- we parked on the road between Versailles and the hotel to unload and the concierge informed us that as it was August we were able to park there all day and night for free! How convenient!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Michelle N
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a trip to see the Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe Horse Race at Longchamp on 7th Oct. The hotel was about a 15 min walk from Versailles Chantiers station- The Rive Gauche station is a bit closer. Ideal for visiting the golden palace (chateau) as just across the road.
This is a small hotel and not a lot of staff around, however everything was really clean and tidy- must have fairies in to do it :) The reception staff were very helpful- one day and one night member- nothing was too much trouble. Very large bathroom and very comfortable bed.
Breakfast was continental at 11 euros each, which I guess is a bit expensive, but you could have as much as you wanted and it was enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaureenFrance
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Our experience at Hotel de France was very good. We had rented a car in Paris but chose to drive to Versailles and take the train back into the city...driving in Paris is a challenge. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a delightful hostess who provided much needed information about parking. We were pleased with our room and updated bath. The room was attractive with a small balcony with a somewhat obstructed view of the Palace. Taking the train back into Paris was simple and inexpensive. Our room was pleasant and, in comparison to other rooms we had, large. The location is perfect for viewing the Palace. We had difficulty finding a place for converting to Euros, but our hostess checked the internet for the nearest location and provided directions to the exchange location...banks would not do the conversion for us. All in all, I would stay at this hotel again. The price was very reasonable for the locaton and the quality of our room.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our second floor room facing the palace...it overlooks the small street below and the eat...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Not impressed with reception when we arrived, a bit unhelpful but improved next day. Average room but the building is very old so can be excused but fantastic location for the Palace - could not get closer. Very good Alsatian restaurant next door. Can put up with the inadequacies for its location.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dabaw
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel de France for three nights during the month of June 2012. Our first night was a little unpleasant because of the odor coming from the bathroom. We were staying on the second floor and the odor at night became unbearable. The next morning we did say something to the reception and they moved us to another room on the same floor but at a different location. It was much, much better! The hotel itself is very quaint. It is nicely decorated and it seemed that all of the rooms had a different color theme. The hotel is very close to Versailles and the metro/train station (within a 10 minute walk). We picked this location because it was very easy to take the metro/train into Paris everyday without having to drive in Paris. The train ride was about 20 minutes into downtown Paris. The metro/train system is easy to figure out if you just take a few minutes to look it over. The breakfast at the hotel was nice for the 11 euro charge. It consisted of coffee, orange and apple juice, two large pieces of 2 different types of french bread. They also had a variety of yogurt, some cheese, perserves and honey. Overall, after being moved from the first room we were in, our stay was quite nice. I would recommend staying here for the location and convenience to different transportations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family