“Nice but any extras are overpriced”

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights using Hilton points. We were given rooms in the Pavilion building which were spacious and nice. The pool was nicely done. The negative was that a coke on the patio was 8 euro (that's over $10 American) which I thought was exorbitant. We needed to use the business center and that would have been extra $ if we had not been Hilton Diamond members. We dined at the Veranda, reviewed separately. Overall a very nice hotel but if I went back to Paris I would probably just stay in the city center of Paris and come out to Versailes for the day.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked to stay at the Triannon Palace Hotel but stayed in the Pavilion which is a separate building on the other side of the garden. My view is that that this building should be marketed as a separate hotel.

The attitude of the staff was appalling, e.g.
1) One evening, I bought 2 lots of drinks in the bar. Because I did not give a tip, the second coffee was slopped in the saucer and had no biscuits, The barman was very surly indeed. However, I think that 8 Euros is enough for a coffee. It is not appropriate to print a request for a tip on a bar bill or for bar staff to always expect a tip..
2) At breakfast the next morning, our table did not look as if it had been cleared up properly from the previous person. We had a high chair next to my wife's seat. Whilst I was eating breakfast, the Maitre D swung the high chair over the top of my wife's chair. It just missed my head.
3) After eating my cooked breakfast, I went back to the buffet with my wife to get some toast. Whilst I was away from my seat, the waiters cleared our table. The drinks that we had went.
When I queried this, they relaid the table for one person. My wife had nowhere to sit.

In addition:
A) The doors open using a swipe key. Twice we were locked out of our room and had to go back to reception to sort it out.
B) Décor was poor. There was a leaky pipe which was bringing down the ceiling outside our door.
c) I was concerned to see open fire doors and smoke alarms in bedrooms fitted to walls, not ceilings.

Thankfully, this was a short stay. Our stay was completely spoilt by the staff. I was glad to get out of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank David R
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel and grounds were beautiful, but we were there in the heat of July and the air conditioning was not working well in the new building. I loved the room--nice furnishings and a relaxing atmosphere after a hectic few days in Paris. The Guerlain Spa is outstanding. We used points supplemented by cash for our two rooms. Breakfast was included in our package and our boys, ages 14 and 10 dined with us for free. My older son ordered from the regular menu and there was still no charge. Friendly staff and beautiful restaurant. I loved it.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer building are smaller (but still large) than in the old building. Rooms in the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the main building, with well appointed, spacious rooms. Superbly decorated.
Stayed at several Waldorf-Astoria hotels, but the breakfast at Trianon Palace is unparallelled. Great choice and original presentation.
Also had lunch at the Godron Ramsey restaurant. Very much enjoyed that.
Location is great for a quiet stay near the Versaille palace, with Paris at a 30min train ride.
My friends had a room in the secondary building, which was not so nice as my room.
I would highly recommend anyone to book a room in the main building for the real experience of this hotel.

Room Tip: Room in the main building (the more expensive ones)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying at Trianon Palace and thank you for your very nice comments regarding our rooms, breakfast, Gordon Ramsay restaurant. we are really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. As far as rooms in our Pavillon, they are in a contemporary building and not in the historical building and not with the view on the parc of the Palace of Versailles as some of the Palace but they are as comfortable and less expensive.
Looking forward the pleasure of your next visit in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Easy 20 minute train ride to from Varsailles to Gare Saint Lazare in Paris. You can walk to Louvre from Saint Lazare, or hop on the double decker. Literally minutes from Chataeu De Versailles. True luxury from half the price compared to Paris. Great places to eat in close proximity. We had our 6 year old and 11 year old with us, they loved the pool and food. If you can afford the price, no brainer, avoid the hassle and chaos of Paris, while having easy access.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your nice comments.
We are really delightful to read that you had a nice experience staying at Trianon Palace avoiding the hassle and chaos of Paris and that your children enjoyed also their stay.
We do hope to have the pleasure of your next visit soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a top end hotel (with a high price tag). The rooms were outstanding and the reception staff were very friendly. The pool is a bit small - but that's because I like to swim lengths. Location is perfect for exploring the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in a Deluxe room in the Palace building. The room was an impressive size (read about small rooms in France...) and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Breakfast was included in our package - great assortment - meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit, hot table (sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes), and a made-to-order egg station.

The hotel is located right on the edge of the park - great for strolls, and a short walk to the city centre.

Every staff member we encountered, from the reception area, to the concierge, to the wait-staff were friendly and helpful. The Trianon Palace is a great place to stay while in Versailles.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple