“Friendliest experience”

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in a suite on the 5th floor. The room's temperature could not be brought lower than 26 degrees which made the room very hot. We kept the room dark and closed to try to cool it down. We were then given a fan. We went down to the pool in the afternoon but that experience was disappointing because it was loud and young adults allowed to disregard simple courtesy to other guests. When we went to the adjoining room for a cup of coffee, we found a dirty table that had not been cleaned for quite some time. The pool experience was more in line with a public pool rather than an exclusive hotel.
On the enchanted side of our experience were the evenings at the Gordon Ramsey bar with three amazing hotel employees: Jean Batiste the bar tender, Flavian the amazing bar waiter, and young Gerome who although green at his job was professional, friendly, and wonderful. All three are what made our evenings special. At La Veranda restaurant, Rene and The rest of the team made our dinner special. Our final night at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant was unforgettable. Marc made our evening an experience that will remain in our hearts and minds forever.
This was our second trip to Versailles and the Waldorf Astoria. It has become our home away from home when we are in France. Thank you to all those mentioned and others who made every day a unique journey.

Room Tip: Book way in advance and specify your wishes.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting us and thank you for your very nice comments, we would have appreciated also that you stayed longer.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you mentioned, we are pleased however to see that our staff in our restaurants and bar have made your stay enjoyable and that you will keep in your mind and your heart your experience to Gordon Ramsay restaurant thanks to our staff.
Looking forward the pleasure of your next visit short.

There are newer reviews for Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, the rooms are lovely, the air conditioning is essential and quiet, the pool is nice too.

We stayed as a group of friends for one night en route to Paris, it was utterly delightful and we had no complaints.

The Gordon Ramsay restaurant was closed, but we didn't mind, and chose to dine in La Veranda restaurant instead.

We would certainly return here if we are in Versailles again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Trianon Palace with your friends.
We re pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you will come back, needless to say that we will be more than happy to serve you again.
Looking forwazrd the pleasure of your next visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

First let me say that if you arrive via the Rive Gauche train station it is a fair walk. The streets are not made for dragging suitcases behind you, either being cobbled or dirt/pea shingle, so if this is important to you , you might want to consider a hotel nearer to the station. However, if you did this, you would miss out, as the Trianon Palace is definitely worth the long walk.

When we finally arrived (dragging our suitcases behind us) and caught the door man's eye our luggage was whisked away and the next time we saw it it was in our room waiting for us.
At check in our room wasn't quite ready, but they took a mobile number and called us when it was ready so we could get some food. So simple but brilliant service.

Our third floor corner room was lovely. Wonderfully clean and very spacious. The room itself had two windows, one with a walk out balcony and great view of the park. Special mention for the very comfortable bed. The mattress was firm and very easy to get a good nights sleep on! Unlike other hotels I have stayed at I didn't hear any noise from outside the room either. Our beautifully plush and ergonomically designed room contained a modern flat-screened Philips t.v with plenty of channels listed in the welcome folder, however BBC one didn't work so maybe they could update this list. As well as the usual popular French channels, there were a wide range of non-French speaking channels to cater for the native English, Spanish, German or even Arabic speaker.
The bathroom also had a walk out balcony with view of the swimming pool roof and solarium. The bath had the taps at the side so comfortable to have a soak in! Gorgeously perfumed toiletries too!
On the first night we spent some time relaxing in the spa area. Guests can get changed in their rooms and then take the lift straight down to the spa area - very convenient. The solarium is a great place to chill out in the fresh air but sunken below ground level so that the area is still private. Steam room, sauna and pool all good, but if I could add one thing it would be a jacuzzi.

Our deal included breakfast. If yours doesn't you might think 29 Euros is expensive - but I think it is worth it. The cold buffet was a fantastic selection, and you are welcome to eat as much as you want. In addition there are hot items such as sausages etc and a chef ready to make omelettes with a choice of fillings or pancakes (both Euro thin style or American thick style).
When you are seated you are offered a choice of tea or coffee (or both), which the staff will be more than happy to top-up, as well as freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice. Honestly it's all good, you won't be disappointed.

The concierge will provide Versailles Chateau tickets, but add 2 Euros to each ticket price which I feel is a bit greedy, as you are clearly hotel guests and it is being added to your bill so not a separate transaction as such. On the other hand, it is very convenient to be able to turn right out of the hotel, straight through the entrance of the park, and then leisurely stroll up to the Chateau entrance.

All the staff, apart from a young girl who was being trained, speak good English.
If you speak moderate to fairly good French , the staff are more than happy to let you practice with them and will reply to you at a pace that is comfortable for you, so you are encouraged to keep on practicing , if you so wish to do so.

When it was time to depart, my partner and I both decided that our stay has passed all too quickly, and we both look forward to returning here again in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in 321 and it was spacious and had great views.
1  Thank thecatsmother_123
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles.
We are very pleased to read such nice comments about our hotel, our staff, the brilliant service you have been offered, all the entertainments... We are sorry for the inconvenience you had arriving at Rive Gauche station but at the same time are proud that the Trianon Palace worth the long walk you had to arrive to our hotel.
We are waiting for your next visit in the near future, please contact our concierge before to arrange your transfer.
yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have visited Versailles several times and always wanted to spend a few nights at the Trianon. It is a stunning building, with an absolutely perfect location.

Our experience was very mixed. First, we booked a park view one bedroom suite. Management upgraded us to the top-floor terrace suite, which was not at all to our liking. Converted from what must have been attic space, it is something of an abortion. First, the ceilings are low, and the windows are small and high on the walls, so the view is defeated. Second, the decor is horrendous. Purples and semi-sleek ugly modern furniture - the antithesis of what we wanted, which was high ceilings, big French windows and classic decor. Third, the entire room smelled musty and of a disinfectant or pesticide, and the windows could barely be opened. The tiny terrace has a view of a rooftop jumble and a slight view of the Chateau in the distance. We begged to be given what we had reserved, and after a lot of pushing, and an initial refusal, we finally got it.

Once in the correct suite, all was vastly improved. The view was superb, the ceilings high, large windows, pleasant classic decor with modern touches. The bedroom was large and comfortable, bathroom 5 stars except for a slightly undersized and poorly conceived shower stall. all in all 4.75 stars.

The spa at the hotel is interesting. A huge and wonderful pool and seating areas. Yet, the locker room was absolutely miniscule, with no showers or even running water. If you want a steam or shower there is one small bathroom with a tiny steam closet, tiny shower space that gets the entire room wet, and single sink. Absolutely bizarre. Maybe I missed the real locker room, but the unhelpful attendant indicated that was it. If someone else is using it, you would have to wait until they were done, ask to have it cleaned, and then use it.

I scheduled a massage at the Spa, with a specific request for reflexology on my feet. The massage was awful. It was a weak rub and my repeated requests for work on my feet (I speak decent French) ignored. I think they are set up to give older women gentle rubdowns, not any kind of sports or deep tissue work. A waste of time and money and very frustrating.

We ate both nights in the hotel, because we had such active days and wanted to take it easy. The first night, the main dining room was occupied by a convention, so we were seated in Gordon Ramsay's space. The regular menu was on offer, and dinner was adequate. Choices were limited, quality mediocre. I went for breakfast, served in the lovely main dining room, and the buffet was large and OK. No fresh berries at all. I had to ask for coffee three times, and when it came it was horrid. There was no coffee maker in the room, only little packets of Nescafe instant and a teakettle. The instant coffee was vastly superior to any coffee from the kitchen - American, expresso... it didn't matter. Room service morning coffee was equally bad.

Our second night we ate at Gordon Ramsay's two star restaurant. To say it was the worst meal I have ever been served in France would be an understatement. The dishes were ill conceived, the flavors invisible or repugnant. The appetizers were terrible. The langoustine raviolo was not hot, and the pasta casing was gummy and unpleasant. The carpaccio of shellfish was heated and partially cooked by the tepid raviolo and so made unappealing. The boulliabasse sauce tasted like a tinned lobster bisque, My main course, a combination of Poulet de Bresse and rouget (I believe) filets was so disgusting I was desperate for something to take the rancid, fishy, repulsive taste out of my mouth. My wife's dish was also miserable. We were really anticipating a great meal, and it is hard to imagine what was going on. If this had been one of Mr. Ramsay's television shows, I would have screamed obscenities at him! We are experienced travelers and diners, and I have been a professional travel writer (still publish occasionally.) I hate saying negative things when I know how much work and effort go into preparing and presenting food, lodging.. these are hard businesses! My wife said it was my fault for trying a dish that combined chicken and fish, but I assumed with his reputation and the Michelin review, I was in for a brilliant invention. God, was I wrong! We shared the signature desert, which was a sort of floating island and worthy of a one star small regional restaurant. Maybe we caught them on a bad night, but when one thought about the conception of the dishes, it was hard to imagine them working at all.

Management was apologetic and my grotesque main course was removed from the bill. Honestly, they should not have charged us for the meal at all, and offered to send us to dinner on them somewhere in Paris to make up for ruining our night. Ramsay can dish out criticism, so I assume he can take it, even from an ignorant New Yorker. I have had great meals at his rooms in London and New York, so this was even more surprising. I hope my comments and communication motivate the organization to reconsider the menu or do better supervising the preparation. What a disaster.

All in all the Trianon is a great building that is a little beyond the Waldorf group's pay grade to run. The food aside, it is a three star operation in a five star physical plant. Thus it averages to four stars, and the location make it an indispensable visit, Under no circumstances book a room in any new wing or without a park view.

The concierge could not get us a taxi, and seemed a bit overwhelmed.

My apologies for coming down hard on management, and perhaps the big convention caused a slip in attention. But Verailles is an amazingly beautiful city, the Chateau and other landmarks a miracle. the Trianon Palace simply does not hold up its end.

Room Tip: Do not book their "best" suite - the terrace suite (see review). You must have a park view...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MikeONYC
Grégoire S, Directeur général at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to give us details on your stay. We are very interested in the feedback of our guests, it helps us to improve the quality of service we offer them. We carefully read all the points you mentioned and shared them with the concerned people.
We regret not having been able to give you entire satisfaction but only a "mixed" experience.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here as our base to explore Paris. It was lovely. It is walkable to the Rive Droite metro. The RER to Rive Gauche is a bit of a hike. We found the bulk of the staff very friendly and helpful with the exception of the pool attendant who was quite snooty. It would have been nice if the grounds were a bit more maintained, e.g., there is a lovely table in the garden that is under a rose arbour. The petals on top of the table and chairs were days old and decomposing. I want to have a snack there with my daughter so I scrubbed down the table. I would expect a bit more from a Waldorf. We loved walking into town of Versailles -- especially the bakery!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting us with your daughter. We are pleased to see that you appreciated to stay at Trianon Palace and that you found it convenient also to visit Paris.
We apologize for the inconveniences you had and shared your comments with the concerned people to avoid any recurrence.
Hoping to have the pleasure of your next visit in the near future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Great amenities, rooms very luxurious, lovely pool, great location on the edge of the park and 5 minutes from the palace, staff were excellent - shame about the significantly over priced restaurants / room service

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your nice comments.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed everything and took good notice also about your comments regarding the price of our restaurants.
We do hope that not living so far from Versailles, you will visit us again in the near future.
SIncerely,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Versailles : beyond the amazing palace, the city is really nice (the market is amazing, a taste of provincial France 15 mn from Paris) and a good base to visit Paris.

Note for golfers : the best golfs near Paris are members only - and they mean it, except for about 6 weeks from around 10 July to 25 August. St Nom, St Germain, La Boulie and my personal favorite St Cloud (tee off towards the Eiffel tower...) are all within minutes of Versailles.

The Hotel : a somewhat strange combination between a 5* Palace and a 4* bordering on 3.

The "old" building is definitely 5*; the newer "pavilion" is more 3; yes there is a price difference, but it's a totally different experience. The french are in a league of their own for taking a charming old building, adding a contemporary decor without destroying its soul. This expends to the rooms. The pavilion is best left to corporate gatherings.

The spa, pool, fitness have got all the trimmings, but have a Hilton feel, not the Trianon feel.

The restaurants. Gordon Ramsay is not cheap, but not overrated. That food on a summer evening on the terrace at Trianon Palace is just unique. The restaurant will be fully booked a long time before you favorite room is...
There is nothing special about veranda restaurant, except of course the terrace in the summer...

The staff are terribly nice, but not always all that helpful

Room Tip: Pay for a park facing room in the old building or go somewhere else ! Higher floors (5-6) do not re...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your visit and thank you for your comments. As you mentioned, we have two buildings and we propose different types of rooms to our guests allowing a large range of them to stay at Trianon Palace and take advantage of our restaurants, terraces, Guerlain SPA.... visiting Versailles Palace and even Paris.
You seemed to have enjoyed your stay here so we do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.