“Lovely view, but ...”

La Veranda by Gordon Ramsay
Reserve with
La Veranda by Gordon Ramsay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 435 Restaurants in Versailles
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Discover the continental and contemporary cuisine of the brasserie "La Véranda by Gordon Ramsay", offering an outdoor terrace and a magnificient view over the park of the Château de Versailles.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The restaurant is elegant in an unfussy way with huge windows giving onto the park of Versailles and a black and white tiled floor. This is the best bit. The service was good: one of the waiters made an effort to be friendly and pleasant, another was offhand. I started my meal with very good oysters, and my husband chose Iberian Bellota ham with melon, accompanied by a tomato crostini. The ham lacked the promise indicated in the description.The crostini added nothing. We both chose the dish of the day which was announced as pigeon, but this turned out to be legs served with braised chicory in a rich sauce. It was quite tasty but the pigeon was overcooked and we wondered if it was a retread and where the breast had gone! The dessert, on the other hand, was excellent - a sort of macaroon served with vanilla icecream. We chose a Chorey les Beaune to accompany the meal. It was a pity that the bottle was removed from the table before we had finished it since it was very drinkable. We thought the Veranda represents poor value for money give the size of the bill.

There are newer reviews for La Veranda by Gordon Ramsay

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Came here for a birthday with family - having already been to one Gordon Ramsay restaurant I wasn't looking forward to it that much as I felt the first one was a disappointment! But this was very different - the location for one is absolutely amazing, we ate on the terrace with a view of the deer park! The building itself is lovely as well, I think it's a Waldorf Astoria hotel and it's decorated with a lot of taste. The food was lovely, and I think for a 3 course meal it was about €70 which isn't too bad considering the location and the name on the restaurant! Service was good, and the atmosphere was nice - relaxed as we went for lunch.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Exquisite buffet for breakfast with absolutely anything you could want. Table setting missing spoons and salt-but we helped ourselves to the next table.Waiters could heve been more attentive.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Let me start by saying I do not normally write reviews, but I felt so aggrieved that I sort out Tripadvisor to air my experience, I wish I had looked here first.
We booked Gordon Ramsey’s restaurant The Verandah in Versailles for Saturday 25th August, we were advised over the phone to arrive at 7pm sharp.

We arrived promptly at 8 minutes to seven to be told by ‘Charlie’ that the restaurant did not open till 7pm and to go away and come back then (no suggestion oof perhaps taking a drink at the bar). When we did return we found ourselves in a queue with no-one at the desk and waited and waited for the return of Charlie.

While waiting the 8 minutes for the restaurant to open we ordered a bottle of Tattinger and drank the first glass on the patio before returning to the restaurant, we had to ask for the bottle to be brought to the restaurant, it went on walkabout for 15 mins, when located it was served at our table warm.

The four of us ordered the 3 courses from the menu, my wife and I opted for the lamb at a supplement each, asking for it to be medium (Rose) – it arrived well done and cool, the ‘crispy’ vegetables were in fact raw shavings of red cabbage and courgette without any kind of dressing – that was it.

We continued to top up our own wine glasses and eventually cut and serve ourselves the lamb from the side trolley.

The service and quality of food was extremely poor especially in view of the excessive prices. We all decided that enough was enough, cancelling desert and coffee we asked for the bill. When asked in the usual way whether we had enjoyed our meal, we explained the shortcomings, and were met with incredulity - all that was offered was an apology.

The fact that we were in France – renowned for its food and service, with the Gordon Ramsey factor thrown in - makes our experience even more of a ‘catastrophe’ and an extreme disappointment.

We have dined at Gordon Ramsey’s Claridges as well as other restaurtants of his, but, it is sad to say, we have had better meals and service at Paris street cafes at 11 euros per head.

Come on Gordon, check it out yourself, with just The Verandah, I could make a whole episode of ‘Hells Restaurant’ myself.

6  Thank spendthriftfrance
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate here in August as we were staying the night in the hotel. The food was overpriced for what we ordered and the wine even more so! We ate in many top restaurants around France on our trip and must say were disappointed! The location is beautiful on the terrace overlooking the gardens but that is about it! Our bill came to 180 euros for 4 people!