“Paris, via river cruise to Normandy”
Review of Paris

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods
Salisbury MD
25 helpful votes
“Paris, via river cruise to Normandy”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

It was our second visit to Paris and hope to go back many more times. August is definitely the month to go because most of the Parisians are gone on their vacations and the traffic is greatly reduced which makes for an easier and more leisurely visit. The Metro is very easy to use. Knowing just a little French helps. Just by saying bonjour brings a smile most of the time. Since Paris is broken up into arrondisements or areas it is easiest to visit a few at a time. There are so many quaint nieghborhoods, parks, and cafes. So much amazing history and architecture! I highly recommend a trip to Paris! From Paris we traveled the Seine to the Normandy Beaches on a river cruise. Loved every minute. Each morning the scenery had changed and we were in a new town or city.
Happy travels!

moscow, id
“Paris for a Month”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I lived in Paris for a month while attending a language school. It is a wonderful lively city with lots to see and do! Buy some comfy shoes and plan on walking a ton - because you can walk between almost all the big monuments. Plan on spending a great deal of time and money on food - it's sooo worth it! Paris is the food capitol of the world and once I ate there for a month I understood why.

Rome, Italy
5 helpful votes
“Impeccable”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I travelled to Paris in August recently and it was so amazing, every square inch of the city is so incredibly designed and crafted. Its sets such a romantic atmosphere, that I felt even though I travelled solo on this one.

I stayed in an area called the Marais which was really beautiful. Some amazing shops and places to see and to eat. Not to mention it was fantastic in terms of accessing the rest of the city. Near the Line 1 of the metro gave me access to so many places in including the lourve, the tuillerie gardens, place de la concorde, the arc de triomphe and La Defence.

The metro was a great way to see the city and for a great price too. I bought a 5 day pass for 50.00 which they call Paris Visite and I felt great value for money in buying this.

One of the things you will do in Paris is a lot of walking despite the good transport be prepared for a lot of walking. One could spend hours walking along the Seine not a care in the world.

The Lourve was great. Such a grand designed structure, even whilst queuing for it under the magnificent but baking sun, one can really take pleasure in the architecture of old times that represents the main construct of the museum full of statues and turrets, then there is also the fountains and glass pyramid that show off the splendor of modern architecture as well. Then the interior is sight for sore eyes, you could spend a full day marvelling at all the fabulous pieces of art. Albeit being a magnificent work of art, the Lourve was not the most beautiful piece of work in the place and I challenge and encourage each Paris visitor to find your own favorite lourve art.

Another museum that is a must is the musee de orsay. Houses some of the most astonishing works including Van Gogh is one of the most amazing collection as well as stunningly beautiful works I have ever seen.

The Eiffel Tower was fantastic, magnifcent view of the city and is a must for any person. However I must acknowledge my complaint to those souvenir sellers whom I felt rather harass than sell the products. On that note I would also advise staying away from any people with UNICEF logos and anyone who tries to get you to donate to charity, believe when I say that they expect contributions of more than just loose change.

Versailles is a must, an absolute must and one my favorite parts of Paris, the inside, the decor will blow you away and then the gardens themselves will walk your legs off and will put your camera into retirement - (bring lots of batteries for your camera and a good SD card) Such a beautiful and tranquil place and so large.

What else??, theres so much to see, you will need a least 2 or 3 days to see everything you want to and even then its not enough because to conclude this - Paris is Unlimited.

1 Thank MstrColm
new york
2 helpful votes
“A dream come true .. Weeklong vacation in Paris, france”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Trip report - Paris
Travel dates : sept 15 - sept 23, 2010
Travelers : two adults
Our trip was booked on expedia as a package of flight  and hotel

Weather
Was 60-80 degrees fahrenheit each day.  No rain, sunny everyday.  Locals said that the lack of rain the week we were there was atypical though, but the cool temperature was very comfortable and was very glad we weren't there in summer as the hotel room not have air conditioning.

Hotel
We stayed at the hotel saint christophe , 17 rue lacepede, 5th arrondissement.
I emailed the hotel ahead of time directly through their website about 1week before we got there to confirm our reservation and I received a polite response from the hotel within only a few hours. Note: my note was mostly in English, punctuated with polite 'merci's and 's'il vous plait's and the response from the hotel was in perfect english.  The desk attendants were very warm and friendly, sot it was never a chore to provide the expected greetings of 'bonjour' and 'au revoir' as we entered and left the hotel each day.  The room was small, as I expected, but spotlessly clean.  No smoke smell in the slightest ! The bathroom was a good size, and nicely pressirized shower, got hot fast and stayed hot even while i soaked my sore muscles from all the walking we did!  The best part of our room was the tiny balcony, with a view of the top 1/5 or so of the eiffel tower.  Thought it was about 3 miles or so from the hotel, it was our first glimpse of the tower and we felt lucky to see it each night before bed :)
The room was on the 6th floor,  so the road noise was minimal.  I am a very light sleeper, and even sleep with a white noise machine at home, but I had no problem sleeping through the night in a our hotel room.  Very quiet neighborhood.  Seemed to rally quiet down to almost no sounds after 11:00 pm.
They offered breakfast each morning for 8 euro per person, for coffee, croissants, juice, cereal and yogurt.  Overpriced, but we used the time to plan each day's plan. And again, english speaking servers if you needed something, but I used my high school french on them and it was good enough.

The hotel was about 3/4 mile south of notre dame cathedral.

The only bit about the hotel that was a bit strange was the key system.  I had read other posters on tripadvisor talking about it but I'll mention it here.  The hotel asks that you leave your room key with them while you are out of the hotel.  They keep the keys on a wall near the desk, and you can take and leave your key as needed. Unfortunately the new yorker in me kept thinking....I could be taking other peoples room key couldn't I? But since the wall of keys is at the front desk, and i almost always saw hotel staff at the desk, i have to assume that they keep track of guests... I must add here that I never found any problems with any of my room belongings missing, or anything like that at all.  They do lock the doors after 10:30pm (you can call a phone number to be let in after 10:30) but I liked the idea that non guests couldn't get in late at night.

Walking tours
A couple of day itineraries if you're interested in what you can fit in day.  Note that im 40 yrs old and my husband is 35.

We took a cab for about 10 euro from notre dame at about 10:00 am to the eiffel tower (13.50 euro to go the top per adult) and went to the second observation deck, chickened out of going to the top!  Line took about 50 minutes, but the day was clear and the view were amazing.  Afterwards we sent postcards from the post office underneath the tower.  We then walked across the port d'iena bridge to the gardens across the street.  After buying some nutella crepes (so good) we walked to the arc de triomphe, then east down the champs élysées for a little shopping. After a 25 minute wait to get into louis vuitton for my favorite kind of souvenir, we then walked to the port alexander iii, one of the most beautiful bridges over the seine.  We then crossed the bridge, and walked along the left bank until our tired feet took us to the cafe Des beaux arts for lunch....best meal we had on the trip, sliced duck with pepper gravy and dreamy mashed potatoes that were nothing like I hada tasted before...husband got lasagna of all things, but that was also excellent.  Very friendly service, english speaking waiter.  We then continued along the left bank until we approached notre dame, which served as a great landmark for our route back to the hotel.  Once back at the hotel, we walked only two blocks east, to rue mouffetard...a street almost completely made up of restaurants..lots of good choices there for dinner...and easy on the feet after a long day!

Another day we walked from our hotel to the louvre, spent about 3 hours in the museum then walked along the river in no rush. Grabbing bites and just taking in the beautiful scenery and collecting occasional chocolate treat, drink, souvenir or the like.

Another day: walking from our hotel to the pantheon, st. Etienne du mont church, and the Luxembourg gardens.  There was no charge to enter any of these sights. The luxembourg garden was gorgeous, where folks just bring picnic lunches, or a good book, purely to relax.  A good day to unwind and recover from a case of sensory overload and tired feet.

Another day: versailles.  Go there, do NOT miss it.  Only 45 minutes by train from Gare austerlitz, and the line to Versailles has versailles as its last stop, so no worry of missing your stop on the way there.  Versailles tips: get there early, you can walk to versailles from the train station.  You can  buy tickets to Versailles and the gardens in a ticket office right across the street from the train station, 25 euro per person for both the chateau and the gardens.  Then when you walk to versailles, about 5 minutes' walk, get on the line for ticket  holders.  Once inside go through the chateau first as it can get very crowded later, then leave plenty of time for the gardens, they are massive.  The fountains come on at about 3pm, and it gets even more gorgeous..they have classical music piped in as you stroll around, it's just wonderful!!!

Another day was spent walking around notre dame, saint chapelle church (large sections of glass are covered for renovations but still beautiful), the conciergerie, and streets east towards the place des Vosges.

Another must do: boat ride the seine at night.  We used bateaux Parisienne, which is located right next to notre dame. Only 12 euro per person, well worth it for an hour long ride, which goes from notre dame to the Eiffel tower and back again.

Transportation
We took the Rer line from CDG airport, found English speaking folks at the ticket counters.  Train was 9 euro per person one way.  The line we took didn't stop at the posted stops, and fortunately we realized this early on.  So we decided that since the notre dame station had a lot of connecting lines, we'd get off there and cab it to the hotel.  Since You are underground in the train as you Approach Paris, you don't see any landmarks until you come up the stairs from the train to the street level.  Once we came up the stairs, and Notre dame was right in front of me, I will never forget the feeling I had of pure awe, it actually brought me to tears, but in a good way :)

We walked all but a cab from the train station to the hotel, and one ride to the eiffel tower. As we wanted to walk around on foot to see everything, we walked th rest of the time.  My feet were certainly sore eaCh day but it was well worth it.  The night before we were checking out we Overheard another couple asking the desk clerk about a shuttle service to the airport.  We then asked as well.  For 16 euro per person, a minivan takes you directly to cdg.  Well worth it, especially considering that there was a possibility of a transit strike the next day, so train service may not have been an option.

Walking: bring your best shoes, and slip in some dr. Scholls gel inserts and it ll help.

I have just done a sort of brain dump here, email me at driedman@ verizon.net if you have any questions.  I'd like to collectively thank previous posters on tripadvisor and was inspired to add this review since I felt very lucky to read other tripadvisor forum posts while i planned my trip.

1 Thank parisbound2010
Pueblo, Colorado
39 helpful votes
“The French”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I was in Paris this August, the French are not real friendly. Some were, most were not; I don't know what their problem is? But I guess I really don't care!
I was in Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and the beautiful museums. Which I did, and really enjoyed the ones I seen, not any real favorite. Seeing the Mona Lisa was one painting I wanted to see and the Thinker by Rodin. Saw both and some other real nice art work.
I also enjoyed the sidewalk cafes, and they were cheaper than the restaurants and No Reservation needed.
Our Hotel was the Best Western Tour Eiffels, was okay. The Elevator was real SMALL!
I tried the 1664 beer was good and I can buy it here in Colorado.
All in all it was good, you make the most of where you are.
Gary

Been to Paris? Share your experiences!