New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel de Lille- louvre

Hotel de Lille- louvre
Ranked #1,695 of 1,812 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Needs serious updating and improving of service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly it needs to be said that the hotel is in a great location, you can walk or get the metro easily to anything. Also the hotel manager was very friendly.

However that's really the only good things you can say. Everything else was terrible! We didn't get any towels or toilet paper, and the sheet on the double bed was too small to even cover the mattress!! There was plaster missing from part of the wall, and mold running up the other. The room was impossibly cold and the shower taps were plumbed incorrectly so it hardly worked.

However it could have been worse, we could have been the poor person next door. He, on arriving in his tiny single room, was trapped inside because the door knob fell off! He was eventually rescued but it was comically poor!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Dirty and decrepit. Stinks of rubbish from the centrally located bins. No lift so we had to trudge up and down 8 flights of stairs on a very narrow, steep spiral staircase. Gritty floor. Rubbish still in the bin from previous tenants. Unhelpful owners. We were in the apartments across from the main hotel so there was no WiFi as advertised. The location DOES NOT make up for this place ~ I hesitate to call it a hotel. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel or sleep on a park bench!
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mima89

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Its not worth it. It may be cheap and well located but you will pay dearly for that. I stayed here for a week with a friend whilst on a course. My lowlights involve the owner insulting my friend when he asked for a receipt, having the front desk operator swear when accepting my 100 euro note, which I could not easily use in shops and, most of all, not being able to shower on my last two nights due to maintenance work on the public shower despite repeated reassurances that a shower room would be unlocked in the morning for me. When I got to reception no one was there and I had to 'shower' in the basin. The beds were very old and uncomfortable. I'd rather be in a hostel. DON'T GO HERE.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chris R
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

First of all there are 3 hotel de lille's in Paris so BEWARE of which one you book. If I had have known it was this one I wouldn't have booked it! The lady was extremely rude! Demanding money straight away and telling my boyfriend he couldn't carry his backpack up the never ending stair case about 8 flights of stairs (4 stories)! The room was disgusting the donna was old worn out and dirty I slept on a towel! The lock on the door was faulty, the street was loud and worst of all the shared bathroom didn't have a light that worked or a lock! To make things even worse, at 2am the owners set off the fire alarm - who knows what they were doing! Don't stay here! If I could give it a zero rating I would! The only okay thing is the location but with everything else I'd rather stay further away than in this place! This "hotel" is disgusting!! It is so horrible! It should be closed down! Don't stay here, it is not somewhere you should stay in the city of Paris! Take my advice, please!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Rzar3
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

You may think I am being overly dramatic when I say that we have been mentally scarred for life after our one night in this hotel - but I am not joking! I will forever shudder when I remember this hotel. From the moment we arrived (hoping to be pleasantly surprised by possible shabby chicness... surely the other reviews were just by unhappy people who had a bad experience?) to the horror of discovering what they had said was all true. It started with... they didn't have our reservation change to arrive a day earlier (despite being confirmed), to telling us to come back in an hour, demanding for payment before seeing the room, being told our room was on the 4th floor (up a rickety, never-ending staircase) on a stifling hot day by an indifferent front desk guy (what front desk?) who never attempted to help me or my 71 year old Mother with our suitcases, walking into a room that resembled a brothel (that might have been rented out by the hour, which is honestly more time than you would ever want to stay in this room!), a saggy and very small double bed (despite having had two singles confirmed by email, though the story now changed to 'there are no singles to be had in the entire hotel')with a greasy, stained headboard no less, sheets that ended 3/4 of the way down the bed as the top was wrapped around a hairy, stained bolster pillow, a blanket that was balled and stained with obvious bodily excretions (yuck!!!), no wardrobe, just one hanger hanging on a metal shelf, a window that overlooked a loud, side street and a night club, carpet that was stained beyond belief and more crud built up into the edges than I cared to look too closely at... a door that didn't lock (yes you read this right, despite turning the key in the lock, the bolt didn't reach the other side of the frame, so locking it was impossible. This said, the door was so difficult to open (read wedged...) that it took two of us to push or pull it open. So intruders may well have been fooled too. Behind the door was a mouldy wall that had either been kicked in and badly repaired, or may have just been caving in... who knows! Covered with a long, stringy wall covering that didn't even serve the purpose of covering the mouldy, crumbling bit, though helped to contribute to the gypsyish-brothel decor... And then there was the bathroom! The door handle to the bathroom was hanging off on both sides of the door. The toilet flush handle was wrapped in moldy tape, the window had no handle to lock or close (and was accessible by anyone standing in the hallway next to our room, through another window if wanted). The sink's tap handle came off in your hand when used, there were missing tiles and crumbly concrete beneath the sink, the shower was mouldy and stained beyond anything we would consider showering in, hairs, dirt, etc in all the corners and edges and again, not something to inspect too closely... I feel sick rising in my throat just recalling it, let alone experience it! Needless to say we only stayed one (of 3 nights paid for), slept on top of the sheets, in a stifling room where we had to leave the window wide open for hope of a bit of air (so intruders were welcome to us from either window and the door that didn't lock... c'est la vie!) on a teeny mattress, that sagged so low we awoke from the little sleep we had, sore and stiff but with the determination to get out and find something better! In the end, we decided to cut our losses and leave Paris early. Anything was better than having to return to the Hotel de Lille for another traumatic night! This is not shabby chic divey boutiqueness... This is a mouldy, festering dump that should be avoided at all costs! The location is excellent but no location is worth this experience, thus my low rating on the Location. Spend a little extra and book anything other than Hotel de Lille! If anyone has any knowledge of who to report the hotel to, please let me know. It's not fit for purpose and a crime that they are able to take money off poor, unsuspecting tourists who are caught out with little or no options once the money has already been taken (with a credit card we might have been able to get our money back... but surprise, surprise... their credit card machine was broken too so we had to pay cash!). Absolutely shocking, all of it.

Room Tip: There is no room in this hotel I would ever suggest to anyone... run fast and far!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank edinburghwahine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Booked this room for just one night, needed a place to crash the night before my return flight home (was staying with a friend for most of the duration of my holiday). It is terribly overpriced for what it is! My room was supposed to come with a shared bathroom, however I didn't even get that. They were doing building works in there so the shower room was torn down. When I checked in the receptionist (who was well mannered and helpful - in fairness to him) asked me when I wanted to take my shower... Dumb struck by the question I accepted whatever explanation he gave me, which was that the communal shower was being repaired and that in the morning he would move me into a room with its own private shower. As you might guess, seeing as how I was only sleeping there one night, I did not get to have a shower.

Besides that, the building is very old and the communal toilet is tiny... if you are any larger than a size UK12 you will not be able to close the door for privacy. Finally, there are 6 floors to the hotel and no lift, just a very dodgy winding staircase which you would need to battle with if you have more than a small hand luggage if you get a room on one of the higher up floors.

The ONLY good thing about this place is its location, which is less that a 5 minute walk to the Louvre. However the area is very noisy so under-sleeping is guaranteed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

A great little budget hotel just a short walk from the Louvre, the Latin Quarter and Ile de la Cite as well as tons of cafes and reasonably priced bistros. A bit noisy at night in summer with windows open so bring ear plugs but bed was surprisingly comfortable. Bathroom tiny but good pressure in shower. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The nearest bakery on Rue J-J Rousseau was rubbish but just along rue St Honore was Patissier Gossel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family