“Excellent Value”

Neighborhood: Gobelins
Rome, Italy
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Decent selection of interesting menus at varying prices, good house wine, friendly staff. I've been many times and will go out of my way to return.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank jonnyblt

Miami Beach, Florida
“Cheap set menu for dinner”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

For the past few years, I have returned to this small restaurant at least once a year during my three yearly trips to Paris because this is one of the few restaurants in Paris offering a set menu at a reasonable price for dinner. Usually, European restaurants offer a very cheap set menu for lunch from Monday to Friday but the same menu will cost higher for dinner. Not at the Epsilon.

My last dinner there goes back to July 21, 2011 after I refused the hospitalization that a French cardiologist almost forced me to accept in order to place a stent in my coronary artery the next day, totally free from A to Z because I am 100% insured by the French public health care system for having taught French to French natives during more than 35 years in “Great Paris”. I refused categorically the doctor’s project because I have never accepted the idea of housing a foreign element in my body. The Professor in cardiology was so angry that he made me sign a letter saying that I was well aware that I could die on the way out of the hospital.

As I passed close to this place on my way back to my hotel, I thought that if I was to die that night, I might as well have a nice last meal and walked to Epsilon for dinner.

I had the set menu for 13 Euros as usual, with a very good onion soup as a starter (there are other choices), then a delicious “confit de canard” with garlic potatoes and a “crême brûlée” for dessert. Since it is a sin to have a good meal with a Coke, I added an extra 4 € for a drinkable “quart de rouge” (1/4 liter of red wine) and a good espresso and I paid 20 Euros in total. As usual, I had dinner inside, then went out to have my espresso at one of the street tables on Avenue des Gobelins in order to light a Cuban cigar, then walked back to my hotel smoking it and drinking a small bottle of Kahlua, compliments of American Airlines…

There are many restaurants on this avenue and if you like Indian food there is an Indian restaurant a couple of blocks down, on the way to Place des Gobelins, although I prefer by far my usual “Les Jardins de Shah Jahan” by Métro Pasteur, for which I already posted a review right here in Trip Advisor.

I will finish saying that this place is run by young folks who do their best to give a good service, although it is sometimes long because the restaurant is very often full, just like my excellent Indian. By the way, the subway going through Place d’Italie will take you straight to Metro Pasteur in the direction of Charles De Gaulle-Etoile.

If you want to have a nice French dinner in Paris for less than $30 with drinkable wine and a good espresso, try this place on Avenue des Gobelins, just a couple of blocks from “Centre Galaxie” on Place d’Italie, Paris XIII.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank Efrin_Knight
Oakham, United Kingdom
“Good Food "Rip off" waiter.”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We found this restaurant on our first night in Paris. It looks great and the ambience was very good. We ordered from an excellent 3 course menu at 14 euros per head. My husband asked, in French, for a bottle of house wine and one was duly brought. Stupidly, we did not ask the price of the bottle, which I have to admit was very good to drink! After an excellent meal, we asked for the bill. They had brought us the most expensive wine (or so it seemed!) they had and they charged us €35 for it. We were stunned, but did not have enough French to argue. The whole bill came to €91 and we put €100 down. The waiter took it and although the menu said "Service Complet" did NOT bring us any change!!! So, be careful and make sure you know what you are buying in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank BarbyJenkins
“Tere are better places”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

3 of te 5 dishes we ordered were below standards of a bistro/resto. Don't take fish or tartare

San Francisco
“Excellent cuisine, incredible service”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The first time I ate at Epsilon was in 2004, when I studied abroad in Paris, France. Since then, I have returned twice to Paris and always make sure to schedule time to dine at Epsilon. Yannis, the owner, provides impeccable service. Regulars abound in this adorable restaurant and provide a truly unique, Parisian experience. The food is excellent and the price is right! His lemon tart is divine!! I dream about it when I'm in the States. I only wish Yannis had a restaurant here in California!!

Visited May 2011