“A wonderful experience”

Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Toronto
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I discovered this restaurant by accident and am very glad I did. After finding it I went there every day for either lunch or dinner. The lunch at 12.7 Euros for two courses was a bargain, and the food was always interesting and good. Unlike two other reviewers, I had no problem at all with the service. The owner was happy to recommend wines, and dishes too. I did NOT find that there was limited choice. The menu of the day was appropriately limited, as it should be, but if you order a la carte there's choice enough.
The restaurant is very popular with locals, especially at lunch, and I take this to be a good sign.
At times I felt I was getting gourmet-quality food at less that gourmet prices, and I intend to return next year when I am back in Paris.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Kenneth C

Jimbaran, Indonesia
“Terrible wait, average food at best, and high prices”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I read the other reviews (the negative ones) and unfortunately, my experience was similar. A friend found out about this place using lafourchette and said it has to be a safe bet. It wasn't. We waited 45mn for the starters! I ordered Pied de Porc Tatin, and it was something I wouldn't feed my dog unless I wanted him to get one or two heart attacks in a row. Scraps of overcooked pork skin and fat on top of something. Then the main dish, actually I don't remember what it was, but it was barely average. We waited 30mn for the main (after the starters). The table next to us was left waiting to order approx 20mn. They mixed up my dessert, I ordered profiterolles and I got cheese. So I had to wait a little longer. My friend said "time is not important". I disagree :) My opinion is that I wasted a culinary experience. As I said in the title, it was horribly overpriced as well, and the 40% off through lafourchette only put the price tag to "overpriced". I have no idea why this place is packed. Service was ok, besides the little mix-up. They forgot to give us spoons for the dessert but that was the only thing. Otherwise quite friendly service.Last thing: the "chef" is apparently limited in ingredients and/or imagination, we noticed the same stuff (fish eggs, soy sprouts,...) in 3 out of 4 of our meals.

• Visited May 2013
Paris, France
“Good food at great price”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Very good food, mostly organic, a nice discovery in this area where even expensive restaurant are not of great quality. Service is friendly and efficient. Not a lot of choice in the menu but that the price for the fresh food. A very nice experience, in a friendly atmosphere, and a typical place to go with friends and family.

• Visited June 2012
Norwalk, Connecticut
“A big disappointment”
Reviewed March 12, 2011

This place had gotten some good reviews here on Tripadvisor and on other sites, so I had high hopes. When we got there, the place was full, mainly with French people, also a good sign.
Liked the decor a lot, the owner was extremely nice and friendly. Things kind of went downhill from there.
The service was obviously new at her job. She was nice but not particularly aware. When asked for a wine recommendation, she stated she really had no idea. She then forgot the wine order and had to be reminded.
The appetizers were quite good: shrimp guacamole and a cabbage puree. Good start.
But as crowded as they were, they did not check back with us hardly at all. Never an offer to refill our carafe d'eau or to get us another glass of wine, which was nothing special.
The entree was not good. My friend and I each got the rib eye steak, horribly fatty and grizzly. The roasted potatoes and the lettuce with balsamic on them were nothing special.
We left genuinely surprised the place was so full. Maybe they had a bad night or were just incredibly crowded and could not serve well.
In general though not an experience I'd repeat.

• Visited March 2011