“Simply wonderful”

Max Poilane
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Parisians are not too keen on breakfast. They are very passionate about their boulamngeries and breads though. So early in the wee hours of seven I ambled my way to look for this little bakery in the Marais area. A refuge of activity for a sleepy city, the smell of freshly baked breads and pastries. It is now a restaurant as well! The signature "Poilane" sourdough bread is a must. Perfection. And we could not have enough of the Punitions. Alas the original baker Lionel Poilane has passed away but her daughter is now at the helm of their successful and profitable business. I have to track down their London branch as well to see how consistent their breads will be accross the border.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Folks shouldn't get confused.. this isn't a restaurant, it is a famous bakery. The New Yorker had a great piece earlier this year on the bakery (which everyone should read if they can) and I had to go visit when we were in Paris. It is a small space, but it has amazing bread and was fun to go visit and purchase some little goodies. The apple turnovers (they have a much nicer name in French) were divine, and we ate one as soon as we left the store and went back to get another :) They also have a great deal on French salt, which they use in their bread, but which is a wonderful cooking addition. The salt is quite expensive in the US and was a great deal at poilane. While it may feel funny to bring back salt from Paris, it is my favorite item I brought home as I know I will use it and enjoy it for many meals to come.

3  Thank LunaTraveled
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Do yourself a favor and save a fortune...get a hotel with a little kitchenette, stock it with good coffee, cheese and bread from POILANE! This family owned bakery is a Parisian institution. The bread is so good, restaurants advertise that they serve it.

1  Thank jamielen68
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We had croissants, sandwiches, lemon tarts, raisin bread and they were all very tasty. We can't wait to go back!

1  Thank eirene_paulidou
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Is it cheap, no definitely not. However, hands down the best croissants, bread and little cookies we had in Paris. Must stop bakery, and it's nearby the best window shopping area as well.

1  Thank orlavaguy