“Cozy French Vietnamese restaurant”
Review of Les Elles - CLOSED

Les Elles
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
hong kong
“Cozy French Vietnamese restaurant”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

A small French Vietnamese restaurant in Paris. Food is good, fresh and yummy. The curry clam soup is a must try dish. Waitresses are very attentive. The owner is a very nice and humorous lady. She makes you feel like dining at home.

Poitiers, France
“CRAB FARCIS - FRESH AND SCRUMMY!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Yummy yummy yummy! Gorgeous little place, serving exception food - only a handful of choices for each course allowing the wonderful chef (ess) to cook everything to perfection. Can't understand how people haven't loved this place but then everyone can have an off day!

• Visited September 2013
Abingdon, Virginia
“Les Elles is a good value, and a fun place”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have read all the reviews for this restaurant with great interest. They range from "wonderful" to "terrible", and that is to be expected. One can often tell from the things said that the reviewer has a skewed sense of experience.

First of all, I own an apartment in the same block just a 100 meters from Les Elles. It is not totally my apartment, but I own it along with 11 other families, so I get to go to Paris once month every year and have been going to this neighborhood yearly since 2007.

The first time I went to Les Elles, I met the owner, Christine. She is a French citizen of Vietnamese ancestry. She is an interesting character, very extroverted, and a bit quirky. One reviewer said there was never anybody in the place. It was obvious that the reviewer didn't understand that nobody in Paris eats dinner early and this place opens at 7 PM which is early for Paris. They usually don't have a crowd until around 8 PM and then they are very busy. One reviewer said it was small and crowded with the diners elbow to elbow. Duh, welcome to the precious little finds in the little neighborhoods of Paris. And another reviewer said there were no menus, and that the fare was featured on a chalk board that the waiter displayed for the diners. That is totally typical for France where the chef may not decide what will be offered until the chef goes to the farmers' market that morning. Although, Les Elles doesn't really change their menu daily. One reviewer said the prices were very high. Au contraire. The prices at this little place are very reasonable, even on the low side for what you get. And as for the quality of the food, this place is NOT Maxim's, but nobody, I mean nobody, can judge a restaurant on one dining experience, but the totality of all the reviews can be revealing. I have never had a bad meal at Les Elles. I don't think I've ever ordered a beer, as one reviewer complained there were none, but the wine selection is OK.

Christine, as I said, is a character. The second time I went there, a full year after my first visit, Christine, greeted me as I walked in. She was on her hands and knees on the floor writing out the evening's menu on the chalk board. It was too early, and she wasn't open for another half hour, but she looked up, saw me, and said "John, how are you?" This was a full year after I had met her for the first time, and she remembered my name. Amazing.

So in the end, I would say that the atmosphere is "charming" and "cozy". The food is very good, even using the Paris standard as a measuring stick. Remember, there are Michelin rated restaurants, and hole in the wall places. By any standard, this place is a good value. The prices are very modest for the quality. I've gotten spaghetti for twice the price at the Italian place down the street, and carry out that is higher at others.

So, remember, nothing will suit everybody, but this place, in my opinion is a good value and fun. I go every year for a month and eat there at least a couple of times every trip. And I don't get a kickback. Some other great values in the neighborhood are Pizza Momo (near Church of St Paul), Vin et Tartines on rue de Rivoli, Le Bucheron, Robert et Louise, So many more.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Openmind45
Paris, France
“quality food”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Special kudos to the deserts, cooked by the very friendly lady owner of the place. Menu is quite creative , mixing asian and western influences, good maincourses. Only downside is the very small space, you have a good chance to eat at a table almost touching your neighbour if you are only 2, even if the restaurant is half empty: indded the waiter didn't allow us to seat at a table of 4 ias we were 2, despite we arrived for dinner at 10.30pm and 3 tables of 4 were available and not booked ! Otherwise the waiter is a charming guy.

• Visited November 2012
Canberra, Australia
“jekyl and hyde?i”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

like buffyramm's review we found this place very disappointing. Stay just a few doors away for 2 weeks we thought we'd give it a try, earlier reviews seen suggested it was vietnamese/french seafood style - found it nothing like this - blackboard menu, over priced for what you get - VERY disappointed. Don't waste your money

• Visited September 2012