“drastic change in quality - taishoken has joined the dark side of chinese style noodles”
Review of Taisho Ken - CLOSED

Taisho Ken
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
biome
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This restaurant, along with Naritake Ramen down the road used to be the only two authentic ramen stalls in this area. Naritake being great for their intense miso soup, while taishoken was the one with a lighter, sweeter more "natural" tasting soup base.

However, after my visit last night, I have to say that the restaurant has changed completely - it has joined the likes of all the other "inauthentic" japanese restaurants in the district - similar in taste to those shops run by the chinese instead of japanese. The noodles have changed, so has the cha-shu and of course the soup base. Simply put, it's now chinese noodles masquerading as japanese ramen.

In short, you can't say you've had authentic japanese ramen after eating at taishoken. For the real deal, go to Naritake down the road instead.

I'd never come back. However, considering that people from different places have different tastes - a fact attested by the long queues in front of the restaurant Higuma (a famous "japanese" restaurant that serves chinese stir fry in reality) every night, you might want to give this restaurant a try if you enjoy chinese-style japanese food.

I'm not trying to be racist here or anything - I am chinese in fact., however, I just feel that we should describe food for what they are - if I want to eat ramen, I want ramen and if I preferred chinese noodles instead I'd head to the 13th.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank biome

San Francisco, California
“Color me crazy! I had some of the best Ramen in Paris!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in the Saint Anne neighborhood a few months ago. I was dumbfounded to see all these Japanese and Korean restaurants in the area.

Long lines outside some of the more authentic restaurants! I tried this hole in the wall Taisho Ken. They have two big pots of broths simmering right by the entrance. There is a front dinning area with a noodle bar, and another backroom open for the overflow customers. The backroom is kind of hot, but the Ramen is well worth it. Very moist and tender roasted pork. I think it was less than Euro 10 for a bowl of ramen with 4 or 5 pieces of roasted pork. Well worth a visit.

• Visited September 2012
Oakland
“Spectacular Gyoza Spectacular Broth!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were so enticed by the enormous vat of ramen broth cooking in the window with apples, seaweed, mushrooms, and bundles of leeks that we staved off our hunger until they opened for dinner. The "Japanese Raviolis" aka gyoza were better than any I've ever had - fresh and handmade! The broth in my simple shoyu ramen was crisp, delicious, and the chashu--which I usually have trouble eating--was melt in your mouth good. Very friendly folks too.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Simple and friendly”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Taisho Ken actually has two locations in Paris - one whose address is currently listed on TripAdvisor, and the other at 27, rue du Colisée, in the 8th arrondissement. This review refers to the one on rue du Colisée although I assume that the quality is comparable. Having walked by the rue St. Anne location, I can vouch that the atmosphere is very similar.

Long story short - this is a very friendly no-frills neighbourhood cantine Japanese style. The waiting staff are very helpful although most servers speak very little French and/or English (they all speak Japanese, though, always a good sign in the city where there are many Chinese-owned joints that billed themselves as Japanese). The ramen (soup) comes packed with taste (and sodium, truth be told) and piping hot; I particularly like the pork roast variety, and so are the dumplings. Edamame is also very nice and fresh, and the wafu salad is certainly to be considered as a healthier appetizer choice. A word of warning for vegetarians - even the vegetable soup will most likely not be safe because the broth is meat based.

If you're looking for simple, good and affordable food in the Champs-Elysées area, which isn't always easy to find, Taisho Ken is a great bet. The only problem - finding a table at lunch is very difficult, the place is small and very popular with the local office crowd. Arrive early (read: not too many minutes after noon) and enjoy the bubbling cauldron and whatever comes out of it.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank avramgoldmann
Paris, France
“GYOZAS ARE A MUST”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The gyozas here are insanely delicious.
The ramen/lamen itself apparently is very authentically japanese, which means extremely salty.

What drew us to this place of all the lamen restaurants in the area was the ginormous steaming pot cooking next to the window. We examined what was in the pot: apples, potatoes, mushrooms, seaweed, leek...all types of stuff. So we HAD to eat in there. We walked in the small front and there was a bar in front of the kitchen with three seats open and we were told there were no seats on the inside.

The noodles are made with the broth, and depending on if you want miso, soja (soy), or kimchi based, they will add the appropriate paste in the broth and stir it. There where different options of ingredients. We all ordered different types, the corn, bamboo, bbq pork was miso-based, the vegetarian was soja based, and the kimchi was...well kimchi based. I was lucky enough to have a taste of all three, and I personally thought the miso one was the best.

Each type of noodle is approximate 7-9 euros, and if you get the combo with their 4 gyoza (japanese dumplings cooked on teppan), it's about 2 euros more. I must say that I thought their gyoza was the best I've ever had.

• Visited November 2011