“Very good food and great location”
Review of Le Zimmer

Le Zimmer
Reserve with
Le Zimmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,309 of 17,505 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Description: Just after the war of 1870, Alsatian families wanting to remain French settled in Paris and created large breweries (cafés) according to their tradition: Le Zimmer, Wepler, Dreher, Bofinger and others still testify today. At its creation in 1896, Le Zimmer of the Place du Chatelet is the most beautiful of the three cafés belonging to the company of taverns Zimmer. The ground floor room with its elegant ceiling, differs by the finesse and sobriety of its floral decoration from other Parisian brasseries of the same era. An upstairs bar welcomes guests to chairs and sofas. The success is such that the establishment needs to be rapidly expanded. On the eve of the First World War, it developed on four levels. In the entresol, a dining room can accommodate one hundred and fifty guests. On the upper floors, lounges and private cabinets are arranged for more intimate meetings... The history of Le Zimmer is closely linked to that of the Théâtre du Châtelet: doors used to allow spectators to go directly to the ground floor room and the living room on the first floor. Le Zimmer attracts many artists and writers: Jules Verne, Emile Zola, Sarah Bernhardt, Gustav Mahler, Claude Debussy, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Richard Strauss, Arturo Toscanini, Edmond Rostand, Marcel Proust, Serge de Diaghilev, Guillaume Apollinaire, Igor Stravinski, Vaslav Nijinski, Pablo Picasso and many others attended this café. During the "dark years", the network of resistance "Honor of the Police" gathered in the vast basements where a cache, whose access is unknown today, would have allowed several families to escape the antisemitic persecutions . During the occupation period, Le Zimmer hosted some secret meetings of a network of police resistance. In this sense, the mayor of Paris and the prefect of police have affixed a commemorative plaque to the names of Edmond Dubent (commissioner of police and founder of the group "The honor of the police"), Charles Henri Porte (commissioner of police) , Paul Turgne and Raymond Boudier (national security police inspector), as well as Marcel Pruvost and Raymond Micheli (policemen), all were arrested in this place and then deported. In 2000, its owner, Jean Luc Gintrand, entrusted the renovation to the talented decorator Jacques Garcia who was able to restore an authentic soul to this place full of history and thus make the Place du Chatelet one of its finest Parisian café.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Being right across the street from the Hotel Britannique where I was staying made it a convenient stop, but it's also a great location near the river and excellent for people watching. On top of that, the food is very good as well. I started with the onion soup, had a steak for dinner and ended with the caramel Berthillon ice cream for dessert. I would recommend all three.

There are newer reviews for Le Zimmer

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We ate here on consecutive nights in Paris, where in mid-September we enjoyed good, predominantly sunny, weather. We were both times at a table just inside from the footpath with the café-style doors retracted completely, and both times we appreciated the waiting staff’s query whether we wanted dinner or just intended to enjoy a drink.

Basically, the staff is typically Parisian in that wonderful décontracté (laid-back) manner, while still serving promptly and efficiently. There are a couple of strolling, all-seeing managers ready to step in at any time.

On our first visit the manager who seated us heard us speaking English and immediately arrived with an English-language menu, although it appeared to be a shortened version compared with the French. My wife ordered the risotto with asparagus and morels and I had the Thai-style chicken with noodles and a small mound of sautéed vegetables. We thought both were delicious. We shared a half-litre of chablis, which also was very good.

The next night my wife had the prix fixe menu. For less than €20 this was pate followed by confit duck leg. Excellent, she proclaimed. I had the garlic prawns and so tasty was this dish I was glad I had kept some crusty bread to mop up the aioli.

My wife was keen for dessert, but two scoops of 'our famous ice-cream' cost almost €10 and she described it as "well over-priced. even if they call it famous".

A main attraction of this restaurant is that you can sit here and just watch the real life of Paris pass you by one block from the Seine and the Île de la Cité. By coincidence the table right in front of us on the footpath - where you can smoke - was occupied successively by an Australian nicotine inhaler and then an Australian family of four who had no French but complained to themselves about the taint of stale smoke. I must say that the number of people still smoking is amazing, but, hey, c'est la vie!

The food here - bar the ice-cream, which I would describe as unnecessary! - was excellent, Paris was great and the people-watching was fantastic. We can’t get back soon enough.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was one of the worst meals we ever had! It was average canteen in Dublin (where I live)! My husband had veal and it was amature to say the least. My salmon was edible and thats the nicest thing I could say about it. AVOID this if you are looking for good food.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This restaurant is one of the best meals I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The menu is a bit limited, and the food is expensive but you get what you pay for. The food is brilliant, the service is excellent - very slick. Very nice location, you can just sit back and watch the world go by. Excellent restaurant, certainly one to go to when in Paris.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stumbled upon this place when searching for something a bit frenchy. After being recommended to try the set menus at restaurants we chose this and it was wonderful. A great fresh selection Of French food with a twist. Good selection of wines. A great evening out. We recommend this place. We went with our 8 yr old and the children's meals are well suited. This place is good for people watching on the terrace, an evening out with your loved one at a later time or with a youngish family early in the evening. I would avoid under 7 year olds as you may spend too much time managing your kids when you need to enjoy the evening.