“Perfect foie gras”
Review of Au Petit Sud Ouest - CLOSED

Au Petit Sud Ouest
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Au Petit Sud Ouest is specialized on Duck and duck / goose liver (Foie gras). You have to like duck !! Open for lunch from 12 to 2:30 pm (last order at 2:30 pm) and dinner from 6 pm to 10 pm (last order at 10 pm). Better to make a booking. We are closed on Sunday and Monday and August. We have a shop too... Open from 9 am to midnight. Take away lots of differents "Foie gras" (duck or goose liver fresh or by tins)
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect foie gras”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We were lucky enough to get a walk in table just before 10pm when the kitchen closed. Couldn't believe our luck when they said they could take us. If you love Foie gras this place is for you. We had both pan fried and the natural option which were delicious. You toast your own bread at your table. We also ordered a duck breast and duck confit, with the most amazing light potatoes. We were both full to the brim. Lovely friendly staff and a cozy setting, this restaurant was a gem. A stroll to see the Eiffel tower at midnight to see it sparkle capped a fabulous night in Paris.

• Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
“One of the best”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had decided to revisit “Au Petit Sud-Ouest” during our trip to Paris.
Last time we went to Paris (February 2013) we had a most pleasant meal there and hoped to relive the experience this time – and so we did!
I had booked the table ca. 14 days in advance, and upon arriving, the table was (of cause) ready.

We decided to have “Rilettes de canard” for starters and “Confit de canard” afterwards.
We accompanied this with sparkling mineral water and ½ bottle of red wine “Montus”
Well the experience was as magnificent as the last time, both food, wine and the service was outstanding.
Next time in Paris, we will dine here again.

Visited April 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Moi, as well”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Joining the chorus to sing the praises of this lovely restaurant, I would only urge dinner reservations if possible, to avoid disappointment. We say near the front and saw many people turned away, the restaurant was that packed. They do take out if you are staying nearby. But the charm of the staff and the room are a great compliment to the exceptional selection of foie gras and duck choices.

• Visited June 2014
“The Best”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I found this restaurant on our last week in Paris (of three) and this was the best restaurant by far. The setting is charming, the food was outstanding, and the service spectacular. Everyone spoke English and they had an English menu. Top, top marks for this restaurant!

• Visited May 2014
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Au Petit South West's foie gras-- seized at Heathrow”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had dinner at Au Petit Sud Ouest recently and I must say their cassoulet is quite good, and good cassoulet is often hard to find, even in France (in my experience, it tends to be better in Languedoc, where it originated, than in Paris). My wife had the confit du canard, another tricky dish, and pronounced it good. I would recommend making reservations-- it's a very busy place. My main purpose in writing this review, however, is to caution people who may be contemplating taking some foie gras home to beware of security procedures at Heathrow airport. As a special gift for a foodie friend, I purchased two small cans of top-grade foie gras in Paris, one from Au Petit and one from a store on the Rue Cler. They were not inexpensive. Both were 125 g in size. Both were seized by security at Heathrow on the grounds that they were a "liquid"(!!??!!), and that they were above the 100g limit for liquids. Never having carried foie gras on a flight before, I had made the fatal error of placing them in my carry-on bag. Security personnel at Orly throughly searched my bag (and that of my wife), asked me what the cans were, and when I replied "foie gras-- they are gifts", the inspector simply nodded and handed them back. 2 hours later at Heathrow, racing to catch our connecting flight (takeoff was delayed at Orly), we had to endure the same thorough search of our bags-- 25 minutes before takeoff-- and this time the hammer came down. I was furious (and still am) but knew better than to fully express it. Had we more time, I suppose I could have pressed the case or sought an alternative solution, but by then my wife was so stressed she was in tears and we had to (literally) run. As a flyer, I'm fully in favour of airport security, but as a person who values common sense, I can only look at this experience and shake my head (as did the British Airways flight attendants we told of the experience-- they were appalled). The different standards displayed at the two airports, I think, say much about differing cultural-- and culinary-- attitudes between the UK and France. Anyway, be warned!

• Visited May 2014