“Great Duck”
Review of Au Petit Sud Ouest - CLOSED

Au Petit Sud Ouest
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Au Petit Sud Ouest is specialized on Duck and duck / goose liver (Foie gras). You have to like duck !! Open for lunch from 12 to 2:30 pm (last order at 2:30 pm) and dinner from 6 pm to 10 pm (last order at 10 pm). Better to make a booking. We are closed on Sunday and Monday and August. We have a shop too... Open from 9 am to midnight. Take away lots of differents "Foie gras" (duck or goose liver fresh or by tins)
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

As some of the prior reviews have stated, this restaurant serves nothing but foie gras and duck. And they are very good.

We had the duck breast which was cooked to perfection, and served with fried potato slices. Moist, tender and flavorful, the duck was really the best we have had.

The restaurant was filled up rather quickly, so reservations are definitely a must. Very close walk from the Eiffel Tower.

2  Thank raizzz
There are newer reviews for Au Petit Sud Ouest

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is the restaurant to go to if you love foie gras and/or duck. We tried the raw foie gras and the cooked. Both were excellent on the bread toasted at the table. It melted into the warm bread and was divine. We had the duck confit which was so very tasty. Our friends ate dessert but we couldn't manage another bite. The portions were large and the service was perfect! Our waiter was oh so funny and the owner was very sweet. All in all, we had a memorable Thanksgiving meal!

1  Thank SmokeyandAshes
Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you don't like duck or goose, don't come here! The menu is almost entirely centred around great duck and goose dishes, including foie gras, and is wonderful. We had a 100g block of mi-cuit goose foie gras with accompanying glasses of sweet Jurancon wine, with toast mad in the toaster on our table! It was divine. We then had the cassoulet, with plenty of great Toulouse sausage and confit de canard, and a goose confit with cepes that was out of this world. The Medoc to accompany it was excellent and very good value at 25 euros. Finally, the croustade with apples soaked in Armagnac and the ice cream with Armagnac soaked prunes were great finishes to a very memorable meal. Throughout, the service was helpful and charming, without being obtrusive. A very memorable evening.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a really lovely, charming restaurant. If you like duck you will love it. The staff are so welcoming and friendly it made the whole eating experience one of my favourites whilst in paris

1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I wanted to experience a wonderful Parisian dinner that would be something to remember without breaking the bank. We found just that at Au Petit Sud Ouest. After reading the reviews in TripAdvisor, I knew that duck was the specialty. I love duck but my wife was skeptical. She does not like any meat that is not cooked to well done. One of the reviews stated that the duck breast was overdone so she thought that might be to her liking. I explained that the duck confit would be just right for her.

Well the restaurant was closed on Monday, but I sent an email in English, requesting a Friday reservation at 7pm. I received an email confirmation from Chantal the next day.
We drove to Reims on Friday and after some delays and being caught in Paris rush hour traffic, we realized we would be late. I called to change the time but everything was booked. I said I would be late and Chantal said she would do what she could to accommodate us.

I had already read the menu online so I knew what I wanted so no time would be wasted perusing the menu. I dropped my wife off at the restaurant while I parked the car. I instructed her to order the foie gras appetizer, the duck breast, and duck confit.
This allowed the chef to prepare our order and not delay the next reservation. Chantal greeted us warmly and did not make us feel rushed. We received excellent service and were grateful that we could still be seated even after missing our reservation time by an hour.

I loved the individual toaster on the table, for the fresh toast for the foie gras appetizer. The best foie gras ever, it was heavenly. The duck confit was incredible, crispy skin and a deep slow roasted taste with just a mild saltiness that lingered on the palate. My wife ordered the duck breast, and she ate the outer slices but the inner slices were medium rare, which is not to her liking. We did not specify that we wanted it well done, however it was perfect for me. We quickly switched plates and after having a few bites of the confit, I was pleased to enjoy a wonderfully prepared duck breast. We enjoyed best of both duck entrees, in a comfortable boutique restaurant, and at a very reasonable price. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank dkueltzo