“Food Good But Staff Incredibly Rude”
Review of La Table d'Eugene

La Table d'Eugene
Reserve with
La Table d'Eugene is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #231 of 17,405 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montmartre
Description: Dans un lieu intimiste et chaleureux dedie a la gastronomie, Geoffroy Maillard vous propose une cuisine francaise et creative base sur les produits de saisons.
Los Angeles, California
“Food Good But Staff Incredibly Rude”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Call me a masochist but I foolishly returned three times to this restaurant...perhaps just to make sure I wasn't just imagining that the staff (even by Paris standards) could be so extraordinarily rude and unwelcoming -- they were. I'll never go back and I will try to dissuade anyone who asks from making the same mistake I did. No food -- no matter how good -- warrants accepting treatment like this. And being as polite as possible and even speaking decent French didn't help.

Worst of all is the woman who greets you (and i use that word advisedly) at the door. She grudgingly showed us to our table and reproached us because one guest was (literally) two minutes late. Things deteriorated from there. We were left sitting without menus (and this happened each time) as if to convince us that we were, in addition to being unwelcome, invisible. While our hostess (again, I use the word advisedly) chatted with customers she obviously knew and hustled to bring them their menus, there we sat, ignored.

When the food arrived -- and yes, it is tasty and the portions generous -- the plates were virtually slammed down onto the table. We wanted to ask: what have we done to offend you? but feared to make things worse. Second visit, same story or similar. Third visit (I know you're wondering, is this reviewer crazy??), Madam was as unpleasant as always and, in addition, a pork dish was served to two of us rare! Fortunately, a French friend who had ordered the pork with me didn't hesitate to send it back. I am embarrassed to say, I don't think I would have done so had she not led the way, that's how ill at ease I felt. Ten minutes later the pork came back, perfectly cooked without reproach. (surprising!). Still, it seems like a huge mistake for a chef to make...

One quick anecdote which gives the vibe perfectly. During our first visit, a few years ago, a boy of about 7 or 8 went to the rest room. After he returned, Madame hurried into the bathroom, came out a moment later and went to the table where the boy had sat back down with, apparently, his mother and grandmother. After a harangue of 30 seconds or so in the middle of the family's meal, Madame marched the embarrassed boy back to the bathroom.

I know I haven't said much about the food which we were hoping each time would redeem the mistreatment, but that's the point. To me, it doesn't matter anymore. If I keep you from having the unpleasant experience that we did, I will not have suffered in vain! There are thousands of restaurants in Paris. Please, find another one.

• Visited April 2013
8 Thank anita z

• Korean first
Los Angeles, California
“A strange mix of good food and chilly inhospitality.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have eaten three times at Table d'Eugène, and we will eat there no more. It is conveniently located in our neighborhood, walking distance from our apartment. The food is reliably excellent. While not inexpensive, it is fairly priced. The problem with Table d'Eugène is the owner. Every time we have eaten there, we have felt like we were uninvited guests who were inconveniencing the host. On one occasion, we had the unfortunate experience of observing the owner approach the table next to ours and censure an 8-year-old boy for leaving the bathroom untidy, and not in "sotto voce", I might add. Then, to our astonishment, she marched the youngster back to the bathroom where, I presume, he was instructed to clean up his mess. (Either that, or he was whipped for his indiscretion.) On another occasion, our companion arrived literally 5 minutes late for our reservation, which prompted a scolding from the same Madame. On our last and final visit, we sat unattended to for 20 minutes while the owner was preoccupied with a table populated by either close friends, family, or generous benefactors. The service, when it finally happened, was unwelcoming and forbidding. Perhaps unsaid was her thought: "Why are you here taking up my time when my friends at the next table are celebrating without me?" As we sat there, we became aware that the atmosphere was just short of toxic. The food, while well prepared and tasty, could not overcome the bad vibes.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank StGilbert
Richmond, Virginia
“Lost reservations”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had dinner here last year. I had the same experience with the one diner that they cancelled our reservation because we did not confirm, which we did not know. Speaking no french, we asked hotel to make the reservations for us. After a long ride from Arr. 7 to the edge of the town, we were told reservations was cancelled. The owner lady said she called our hotel and was told nobody by that name has checked in. That is the explanation, but we did not bother to check with hotel.

We were shocked because we didn't have plans. Anyhow, she did give us a table outside on the sidewalk. We had to move because residents upstairs watering plans and water dripping down.

The food was excellent, so it sort of made up for it. One more tip, do not play with your iphone and leave it on table if you sit outside. The lady warned us that someone will just grab it and run.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank SandyWang
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Worthwhile Excursion”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

While not exactly in the center of things this little place, a short down the back side of Montmarte is very much worth the trip. We took friends this time who had never been, and on this visit we and they were again impressed by the quality and imitativeness of the food and the warmness of the welcome. A real treat and a fantastic meal, with great wine that will still leave change from fifty. This place will remain on the top of my Paris pilgrimage list.

• Visited April 2013
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We had the good fortune of learning about Table d'Eugene from a friend. I phoned them up, made reservation a few days before and, even though the restaurant was full when we arrived, we were seated immediately. Each and every dish was outstanding. From appetizers to main dish to dessert everything was superb. I cannot find enough words of praise for this tremendous restaurant. When our meal was over, two and a half hours after we arrived, they phoned a cab for us, waited for the cab to arrive and gave the driver specific instructions about getting us back to our apartment. If you are in Paris and if you are a foodie, go to Table d'Eugene

Visited April 2013