“So good, we dined there twice!” 5 of 5 bubbles

L'estrapade
Ranked #279 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Description: Horaires : du mardi au samedi , de 12h a 14h, et de 19h a 22h.
London, United Kingdom
“So good, we dined there twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have been to Paris quite frequently over the past 4-5 years and on this occasion we were staying at the Hotel Des Grande Hommes for five days, to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
Before travelling to Paris I saw the reviews for L'estrapade and thought it would be a great place to celebrate.There is no website so I contacted the hotel a week or so before and one of their staff very kindly went round to the restaurant to book us a table, for our Anniversary.
On the night it was raining but it was only a 2-3 minute walk from the Place Du Pantheon to L'estrapade. The restaurant was busy when we arrived, there are only about 24 covers, and it is tiny and intimate inside. The tables for two are close together but this just adds to the atmosphere and encourages conversation between the patrons.
Lauren was in charge of front of house, which she did so charmingly and with good humour, giving full detais of each dish on the menu.
Her husband, Guilliemme, is the chef, and the food that came out of the tiny kitchen was amazing.
There was a choice of around 4 starters, 5 main course and 4 desserts,plus a 'suggestion' for a dish of the day. 3 courses were 34 euros, but you could order as little or as much as you like.
I am vegetarian and my starter was a small 'tower' of layers of 3 different coloured beetroot, slices of apple and goats cheese mixed with Marscapone and tarragon, on a raspberry and olive oil reduction. My husband had a beautifully presented crab Torteau.
For main he had Entrecote steak with a red wine and onion jus, I had a selection of vegetables in a mustard sauce with the creamiest mashed potato ever.
We shared a delicious bottle of Bergerac (24 euros) and finished the meal with two Cafe Noisettes.
We enjoyed the whole experience so much that we made a reservation, before leaving that night, to go back there again two days later!
The only time available was 9.45pm and when we dined on that occasion the restaurant patrons were mainly French.
The food and atmosphere was just as wonderful on the second night. We both enjoyed the same starters as before as they were so good, but my husband decided on the Canard de Maigret with melon sauce for his main and I managed to have room for the delicious chocolate Moleux with cream and raspberry coulis.
Lauren & Guilliemme work hard to ensure you have a good evening and they deserve every decent review. They obviously enjoy what they do and the atmosphere is wonderful.
Yes, the first night there most of the people were from the USA or the Uk, but we dined fairly early (7.30pm).
I have seen some reviews which bemoan the fact that most of the customers had gone there because of TA. Go later, like we did on the second night, if you want to have a more 'authentic' experience but this is not a theme restaurant.
This seems to be a local favourite already, although it has not been open for long.
This has become my favourite restaurant, I hope to go back there soon and take some friends to enjoy it too.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Allison W

• Greek first
Sydney, Australia
“A great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Cosy little French restaurant with fantastic food. Run by a husband and wife team. I had a goats cheese and apple entree which was inventive and had a great combination of flavours. For the main I had scallop with a creamy sauce and vegetables which also did not disappoint. My husband had an entree with a combination of pear, chorizo and Roquefort cheese which was spectacular. For the main he had beef which he loved. They also have a very good range of wines. We had the 2011 Beaujolais which we enjoyed very much. I would highly recommend this restaurant, it's now one of our favourites. Service was excellent.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Timly R
los angeles
“ONLY TRIPADVISOR PATRONS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

The food here was fair to good, not very consistent. They appeared to try very hard but did not quite make it. We were sitting next to two other tables that came there because of the reviews in Tripadvisor and the table behind us was the same.

Visited June 2013
“A Small Jewel of restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We ate at this restaurant last week, and immediately made a reservation to eat there with French friends next week. The food is inventive and delicious, with a wonderful spin on traditional French cuisine. The young husband and wife who run this small establishment are a page out of the way French restaurants were operated for many as a family business, with personal attention to every detail. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food, and the restaurant has a good wine list, with most of the wines at a very reasonable price point. While the space is small and somewhat tight, We recommend it for a great taste of French cooking at its best.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Amy S
Toronto, Canada
“A Very Special Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

First off, this place requires reservations. They only serve 24 people a night so call ahead and book; it's quite worth it. You get an amuse-bouche upon being seated and then are invited to dine either a la carte or opt for a 3 course dinner. The 3 course dinner cost us 34 Euros per person and it was well worth it. The food is exquisite, and that's putting it mildly. If you enjoy French cuisine this place is not to be missed. The dining room is tiny but quaint and the food is everything you could want. I had a starter of pear and chorizo in a creamy, cheese sauce. For the main course I had a dish of scallops, asparagus, and red peppers in a white wine cream sauce. The dessert was a 'suicide by chocolate' type lava cake. Also, we had a bottle of wine for 26 Euros, it was the wine the restaurant was recommending and it was nice. All the aspects of the meal were incredible. I felt I was having a truly exceptional French dining experience, one I won't soon forget. What you get here is 5 star food in an intimate setting that you'll be telling people about for a long time.

• Visited May 2013