“Why is this restaurant recommended by the luxe guide?”
Review of Il Vino

Il Vino
Ranked #1,186 of 18,020 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Master of the premises and young prodigy of gastronomy, Enrico Bernardo, Best Sommelier in the World, is adept at creating originalconcepts to enhance wine and cuisine in a simple way, always going further in the subtle discovery of savours. Il Vino, which has earned a Michelin star, is the first restaurant created by Enrico Bernardo that presents a new method of combining wine and cuisine. The dish proposed depends, a priori, on the wine sel ected. Choose your wine, and you will know what to eat! A revolution in the gastronomic universe. The gourmand who sits down is not left on his own in the search for his personal Grail. Sommeliers guide his steps,his choices, his desires, and help him to express his tastes
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We chose to dine at Il Vino primarily because it was recommended by the luxe guide for Paris. I cannot fathom why this is the case. The luxe recommendations are usually on the money, but not this time. It has nothing to do with the concept, which is fresh and original: choose your wine and leave it to the chef to provide the (complementary) dish. It has little to do with the staff: our hotel had made a mistake with our reservation and despite being fully booked, the staff were very accommodating and arranged a table for us. It also has little to do with the wine: we tried a number of different options and all were excellent. The problem lay with the food. It was just so forgettable and poorly executed. Thick, undercooked (beyond al dente) ravioli to start, an unexceptional (and meagre) veal main course and a dessert which I can no longer remember. Their link to the wine was tenuous at best and we felt let down, which is a pity given the originality of the idea. A complete lack of atmosphere also did little to improve our impression of the restaurant.

3  Thank JezebelleH

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by a Parisien businessman.We had not reserved but were really happy to receive a table for two. The atmosphere is really nice.
The food /wine formula is really surprising although it was different than as explained to us (we thought to choose a wine and then a corresponding dish would be prepared). It was not like that but even better : you could choose a suprise menu. We took the French/Italian surprise menu. The result is taht you can taste a selection of very good wines and with each a perfect (small) dish comes. We really liked this and would recommend it to our friends wine and food lovers, when they make a citytrip to Paris.
The service is excellent , you really feel cared for by all these sommeliers who do a perfect explanation of wines and dishes.
Not cheap , but price quality ratio was fine - really special .

Reviewed December 1, 2012

A friend had told us of this unique concept. We went in August when Paris is typically a bit slow. We were a bit confused on the ordering concepts and decided to just jump in with the blind courses where the kitchen picks the wine and the courses.

We found the decor to be quite sophisticated and we had a roomy booth in a corner with a good view of the other diners and through the windows to the street. It was a perfect spot for us.

We found the wines and the food to be quite good. We loved the wines served in the black glasses to keep you guessing what it was you were having. My husband and I are not remotely wine experts so for those who have complained about the wine selections, we found them to be quite enjoyable.

I loved the idea of not knowing what was coming next. If you want a sense of adventure in a dining experience, this pricey yet unique dining concept may be for you.

2  Thank Luv2GoSomewhere
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Perhaps they have modified the concept, but it wasn’t exactly as I had been led to believe either by reviews or by their website. My understanding was that you choose a wine or wines, and they then match food to it.

What we found on the menu instead, on the left side, was a list of a la carte items. On the right side was a typical 4 course paired tasting menu along with a more extensive blind tasting menu. We stuck to the right side and my wife had the former – the 4 course tasting menu, while I had the latter.

Things went along quite well for the first 4-5 courses. They would wait until I had tasted the wine and the food together and then ask me what wine I thought I was drinking. It was fun, and I was doing reasonably well on my guesses. And then I guess they got distracted/busy, and they stopped checking in, and I had to ask what I just had, and I’m not sure at that point that they really knew. I remember reading a similar account in someone else’s review, and I have to say if the restaurant is going to hang their hat on this type of thing, and charge fairly substantial prices, they should execute it well.

In the end, though, what was really surprising was that we thought the food was wonderful, but the wine rather mediocre.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I spent the weekend in Paris and everything was incredible with the exception being Il Vino.

Average at best... except the bill which was outrageous!

We ordered the St Estephe pairing for 70 EURs and were in shock when we were served just a little over a thible full of wine.

Complete rip-off... Would never go back.

4  Thank Lizzie D