Tripadvisor

Ranked #2,597 of 20,503 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Central American, Fusion
Neighborhood: Gros-Caillou
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Les Ombres. We had a noon reservation which allowed us to be seated right by the window. The view is spectacular! The food was good and service was excellent. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (2,593)

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

A passer by watches as a taxi screeches around the corner. I imagine him shouting “Queek! Somebodee stop ze taxi” as sitcoms broadcast by the BBC in 1980s had taught me, in a crisis French people speak very slowly in broken English.

It will come as a shock to learn that I write this from inside the boot of that same taxi. Unless I am very much mistaken I have been kidnapped and in peril. Using the torch on my iPhone 8 I am able to take in my surroundings. Within reaching distance I can make out some local confectionary and a copy of Captain Phillips on DVD. On a side note, Captain Phillips is truly gripping throughout, with Hanks at his very best. I would argue that my current situation is just as terrifying.

I am here by no accident. Having failed to cough up the required cash for my taxi to Les Ombres, I was abducted. No sooner did the taxi driver find out he was short changed, did I find myself locked in his boot. Overreaction or not, I was trapped and needed to get out.

Both Hollywood and (admittedly fewer) Bollywood movies had taught me that escaping a boot was not only possible, but also rather simple. By applying force to the rear lights you are able to create a gap large enough for a normal sized arm and unlock the boot. I do just this.

‘Voila!’ I whisper as the trunk opens. Unfortunately this Bond-esque quip (Moore, not Craig) was not appreciated but I had greater worries afoot. I hopped out the boot and ran. I ran and ran and ran. Tears streaming down my face. This was actually due to my recollection of the final scenes of Captain Phillips, again, highly recommend.

After a few hours my GPS told me that I was outside Les Ombres. However, all I could see was a walled garden in front of me. I smirked to myself, ‘this night keeps getting more and more interesting’ I thought.

This was not just a foliage covered path to a restaurant, this was like nothing I had ever seen before. It was a garden; a garden of my stolen dreams and those dreams of which have not yet been taken from me. During this walk I relived happy memories, memories that are best left in the past and prophecies of what may yet still come to pass. After what seemed like eternity I arrived at the entrance.

The food was fantastic, staff friendly and view of Tour d’Eiffel only added to the occasion. 5*

3  Thank Rodgerrabbitbun
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

We were served rotting salad leaves with cheese. When we questioned the manager Nicholas he said this was caused by the vinaigrette! It was slimy green leaves not fit for a rabbit.
Nicholas is either stupid or doesn’t care.
A very second rate place for dinner. Look at the view and not at the food!

1  Thank 886richardo
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

Great views of the tower and the food and service were great. The desserts were a particular hit with the whole family.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 13, 2019

ok so I visited this restaurant on Monday December 9th, 2019, it was during the transportation strike in France, so needless to say getting there was a nightmare for us, our reservation was 1:30pm, but as I said before because of the strike we didn't manage to get there until 2:20pm, we were super apologetic hoping they would still seat us (mind you the restaurant closed for short "siesta" at 2:15 to reopen at 7) and I will say this FROM THE MOMENT WE WALKED IN THEY COULDN'T OF BEEN MORE KIND AND ACCOMMODATING. They sat us and allowed us to stay as long as we wanted, the maitre d even took photos for us outside in front of the Eiffel Tower and called us a taxi when we were finally done eating! The food...c'est magnifique but I would say the service was impeccable and any time I'm back in Paris I WILL be dining here every time !

Date of visit: December 2019