“Disappointed”
Review of Les Ombres

Les Ombres
Reserve with
Les Ombres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #430 of 17,292 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Central American, Fusion
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

It still has the most beautiful view of the Eiffel Tower.
The restaurant does not now have the Chefs Tasting Menu which was about 100 euros and excellent, and the standard of service is not what it was. It appears to have cut some costs, still expensive 450 euros dinner for 3 including drinks nevertheless an amazing experience

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“Best Paris experience”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

One of the highlights of our stay is enjoying the great food & view of this restaurant. Its faultless! The service is great, the seat we've got is perfect full view of the eiffel tower. I must say the price of the food is pretty dear but its all worth it. I would go back to this restaurant any day.

• Visited April 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The one great thing about this restaurant is the view”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked this restaurant about two months before our visit after a recommendation from a friend. We had high expectations after looking at reviews and pictures on the website. We were staying close to the Eiffel Tower and so this restaurant looked perfect for a Friday evening meal. The night started well and when we arrived we were greeted by a friendly lady who welcomed us and took our coats and we were shown to our table near the entrance. After a few minutes and once we had ordered wine, we asked to move tables to be closer to the window - the view is superb and the large windows and glass ceiling are perfect for the view of the Eiffel Tower. We were able to move once the table was laid (it was only a couple of tables away from where we were sat). Our wine arrived and we enjoyed sipping this whilst soaking up the ambience. It took a while for the waiter to take our food order and we both ordered a beef main. After some time we were given some breadsticks and a dip as an appetiser. What followed was an agonisingly long wait for our main course during which we watched other tables getting served their food and soon ran our of drink and the small bites and dip. During the time waiting for our main we had to fetch a waiter to serve us bread as we could see him offering rolls to nearby tables. Our main meal eventually arrived 1 hour 30 minutes after we had sat at our table and we were shocked and appalled that the beef was stone cold. We complained immediately advising the waiter that this was unacceptable. The meals were swiftly taken back to the kitchen but there was no apology or explanation. No information was given to us as to what the waiter/kitchen were doing to resolve the issue. After waiting a further 15-20 minutes the waiter returned with our mains, thankfully they were hot. The beef came in sauce and with a side of crushed potato to spoon on the plate with the beef. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the food once it did arrive. It was average and didn't warrant the 42 euro price tag. Following the main course which didn't fill us up at all we both wanted to look at the dessert menu but we sat staring at our empty plates for 20+ minutes before we had to fetch a different waiter to get the dessert menu for us. Once we looked at the menu, our waiter came and asked us what dessert we wanted, to which we advised we would not have one (we didn't want to wait a further hour). The waiter appeared shocked and so my partner advised him no one had shown us the menu and we'd in fact had to request it ourselves. Whilst my partner went to the loo, the waiter brought us two glasses of champagne, I imagined as some sort of apology for the monumental disaster the evening had been, although I say imagine as we still received no apology up til this point. I also had a coffee to finish and these drinks were taken off the final bill, which still came to around 140 euros. I made my feelings clear on departure from Les Ombres to the lady at the entrance who gave us back our coats and obviously we left no tip. This restaurant is overpriced and lacks the basic grasp of, not just customer service but any sort of service. The fact that we were up and down asking for menus and our food smacks of incompetence and a shocking neglect of customers needs. We eat out a lot but I wouldn't say we have unrealistically high standards but at the prices they charge for food in Les Ombres, I expect so much more. This restaurant has a great view and the atmosphere was alright, if not a little pretentious but the food and general service we experienced on what should have been such a special night can only be described as embarrassing!

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Bruceman84
Oakland, California
“View and Meal, Great”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Les Ombres occupies the fifth floor of the northern section of Musee du Quai Branly. From this location you gaze directly at the Tour Eiffel. The room itself is spacious and modern. Tables are not crowded and the leather chairs are both comfortable and well designed. While it was our primary intention to visit the museum, a lengthy stop at the well stocked gift shop left us hungry. So, on the spur of the moment, we would up at Les Ombres for lunch. We knew nothing in advance about it. Only the fact that its location was on the fifth floor led us to chose this restaurant instead of the Cafe.

It was only after our meal and return to our apartment that I checked TripAdvisor and discovered the not so great reviews. Many of the negative reviews dealt with poor service. But, our waiter was mature and friendly. He carefully explained the dishes and went out of his way to take our photos and explain some of the local landmarks. It seemed that, as the room filled up, service slowed somewhat. But, at the end of the meal he delivered a complimentary gateau with our coffee. Surely our experience was far different from that of some other TripAdvisor reviewers.

The food was perfect! The three of us had the fixed price, three course menu (38 euros) for lunch. On weekdays a two course 28 euro menu is available. My entree was a form of lobster paella, inventive and tasty. The other entree ordered was shaved, marinated St. Jacques with some sort of root veggie. Served cold it was both unique and delicious. The three plats were well received. I had the cabilloud. It could not have been cooked more perfectly. My wife had duck parmientier. Often this dish is mostly mashed potatoes. Not here, a generous portion of duck nicely complemented by creamy potatoes. Our friend had a veal dish which she also enjoyed. We all ordered the same dessert - papaya in a burnt sugar cup on one small plate and ice cream with a vanilla sauce in another. While it was a challenge to figure out how to eat this presentation, in the end it was all good, very good.

Perhaps this is a hit and miss place. Perhaps lunch is a better idea than dinner. But, for what it is worth, these three visitors considered themselves fortunate to have wandered into Les Ombres.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank RingoGilkey
Hong Kong, China
“Pleasantly surprised and will not hesitate to go again”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I were a bit apprehensive going to Les Ombres in view of the very mixed reviews it has been receiving, and those recent ones appear to be getting worse. I still picked the place as I have joined a Segway Tour in the morning, and will be in the neighborhood anyway. I need a nice place for lunch before attacking the Eiffel Tower in the afternoon. An artfully landscaped trail ran beside the very modern and chic Musee du Quai Branly (with special themes on Nigerian and African arboriginese arts) led to the restaurant on the 5th floor. The view once you walked out of the elevator was breath taking as already commented by all the reviewers.
We reserved our table via the Fork.com and we were efficiently escorted to one of the tables by the window. The weather was too cold and the terrace was closed. During the course of our meal, however, the very friendly and thoughtful waiter invited us outside and took a few photos for us. He gave us a very detailed description of the menu and made helpful suggestions on request. The food was contemporary French with a slight African twist, which matches its location very well.
For starter, I had crab and crispy paste, served with a delicate corn soup. The crabmeat mixture was delicately seasoned and the crispy thin chip provides a nice contrast of textures. The corn soup tasted more like a crab bisque with a mild curry flavor and brought the dish to the next level. My friend had a lobster a la Parisienne with a truffle juice dressing. The lobster comes in a very generous portion and was cooked just right- unlike those you get in many top hotel buffets which are hard and tasteless. My friend's main course was Roasted scallops a la placha, lobster sauce and melted leeks. It was again well cooked, though I would probably rate it the most unimpressive dish of the day. My main course however, was heavenly. It was Wild duck in Pastilla et foie gras poele. The duck has been stuffed with couscous and dried apricots and prunes and foie gras. The skin is crisp and the jus has tons of flavor in it. This dish certainly made my day. We concluded our meal with two delightful desserts and felt strong enough to tackle the crowd at the Eiffel Tower.

6 Thank hchcheung